PDA

View Full Version : iPhone/iTouch owners thought about a Mac?

Nomad
05-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Just out of interest. Those of you who owns a Apple PDA or Phone have you thought about getting a Mac?

From work, I've known some who had switched over won't look back again. They aren't you technical person or system builder or upgrader, they use the normal applications and they like the design and are willing to pay a price for the design as they did with the iPhones.

Deane F
05-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I've got an iPhone - and no, I haven't thought of switching over to an Apple computer. I like to build my own computers to my own specs, upgrade them as I like plus I like to play games - which means 'no' to a Mac.

Erayd
05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I own an iPod touch, and think it's a seriously nifty device. I would never in a million years consider owning a mac unless someone gifted it to me, and the first thing I would be doing with it is formatting and installing Linux.

robbyp
05-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I own an ipod touch, and think is is pretty good, and probably the best of its type of device you can currently get. However after the last software upgrade to 3.0, it has been noticably more laggy, and the battery doesn't last as long and it takes a lot longer to boot up. Also it's build quality isn't fantasic. Based on this, I wouldn't buy a Mac, because I don't think apple are as good with software. I like windows, especially windows Vista (tweaked to fix the annoyances) and 7(basically Vista but annoyances fixed). Plus upgradability on Macs isn't as easy, as is hardware and software that works on a PC, won't always work on a Mac. OK, you can install windows on a Mac, but you are talking about many hundreds for a standalone windows software, and you have already paid for an OS, with the apple computer. Perhaps Apple should sell computers with no OS.

wratterus
05-08-2009, 05:41 PM
WMG has apparently got a good answer for this. Please note I am not accountable and do not necessarily agree or disagree with any of the following. :lol:

They did that already - it was called the Clone Wars back in the 90's where they licensed out the OS to any hardware maker who wanted to run a Mac "wannabe" clone on it Apple basically had to support many multiples of hardware configuration in their OS and sell their OWN hardware at or below cost in order to compete....

End result - it just about killed Apple - then Steve returned in 1996 and killed all the clones and saved Apple from extinction.

From the other end of the scale you have MS who ONLY DO software which is all well and good when you kill off the competition but still means that you end up with a bloated mess of code that HAS to support every possible hardware configuration there is. This makes for very slow development on the OS side of things and a nightmare when it comes to building a lean mean OS ( like some versions of Linux)

Apple has since moved on to the next stage of competition ... powerful efficient hand held computers with a new OS and a software package for 3rd party developers.

nofam
05-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I own an iPod touch, and think it's a seriously nifty device. I would never in a million years consider owning a mac unless someone gifted it to me, and the first thing I would be doing with it is formatting and installing Linux.

Aren't the Mac OS's not-too-distant cousins of Linux? Just curious as to how similar they are at a low level?

wratterus
05-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Back in the day there were some similarities...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS_X

Erayd
05-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Aren't the Mac OS's not-too-distant cousins of Linux? Just curious as to how similar they are at a low level?
OSX is based on FreeBSD / NetBSD. At a low level OSX and Linux are very different beasts, but they both expose a similar (and mostly POSIX-compliant) API, so there's a lot of userland crossover.

R2x1
05-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I own an ipod touch, and think is . . .
. . . OS, with the apple computer. Perhaps Apple should sell computers with no OS.
They are way ahead of you, they not only sell without an OS, there's no computer either, but it does LOOK very fashionable :badpc:

Deane F
06-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Well, I didn't get an iPhone because of it's looks - or because I wanted to be fashionable - but now that I have it I can say it is easily the single most useful electronic device I've owned. I looked at all of the other smartphones and even though a lot of them come in cheaper (except for a high end Nokia) none of them are as easy to use. When you throw in all the free apps that are available there is no other choice.