PDA

View Full Version : No Pay For Maternity-Fathers (Mothers Too - I Guess!)

SurferJoe46
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
I wasn't surprised when this didn't make the news here in the United States—it's now the only wealthy country without such a policy.

Only two countries in the advanced world provide no guarantee for paid leave from work to care for a newborn child.

Last spring one of the two, Australia, gave up that dubious distinction by establishing paid family leave starting in 2011.

NEWSWEEK (http://www.facebook.com/Newsweek?ref=mf)

SolMiester
05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Well Joe, as a formal employer, I dont support maternity for fathers nor mothers. I dont see what your boss has to do with his employee getting pregnant. Some employees actually source employers for maternity leave before getting pregnant. It is yet another straw on the back of employers along with ACC, for a crutch that should really be the responsibility of the father, mother or sportsperson or employee.

God knows where the government thinks business get their money from. On top of sick, holiday, statutory & bereavement leave, they expect firms to pay what at the end of the day is the fathers concern. Its just f**k crap!

SurferJoe46
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Well Joe, as a formal employer, I dont support maternity for fathers nor mothers. I dont see what your boss has to do with his employee getting pregnant. Some employees actually source employers for maternity leave before getting pregnant. It is yet another straw on the back of employers along with ACC, for a crutch that should really be the responsibility of the father, mother or sportsperson or employee.

God knows where the government thinks business get their money from. On top of sick, holiday, statutory & bereavement leave, they expect firms to pay what at the end of the day is the fathers concern. Its just f**k crap!

Oh, I agree too. If they get in the "family way", I figure that's their business and should not be on the back of the employer, the social services programs nor the gummermint. After all, the employer didn't get any of the fun getting the person or their mate preggo either! Fair's fair.

Yez takes yer chances and tosses the coin I figure if you squirt a kid. :p

I'm just sorry that Australia blinked.

I also think that my haircuts, dental work and general surgery unless from a work-related injury - should not be paid by the employers either.

Even though these things happen at least 66% of it doesn't during the employed-day - the fact that I suffer from shaggy hair should not be my employers fault. Shaggy hair should get your fired anyway.

Ugly should get your fired too.
Smelly feet count there somewhere.
Don't get me started on caps turned around backwards and "55's".

Coming to work with a hangover and drug haze or "the munchies" should get a person canned.

I totally dislike labor unions and pacts that guarantee that a person become employed even if they are not capable of the job. I hate tenure and the whole US education system is rife with poor teachers who cannot be removed because they survived long enough to get some longer fangs and they are impervious to being removed.

I dare a secondary school teacher - or worse yet, their students - to know what "impervious" means or even recognize the spelling of their own names on a flashcard..

Firing an employee should not as hamstrung "for cause" as it is now. If you don't get along with the employer, then you get sacked - that's final and should not be cause for a criminal court decision.

It's unions and corruption and greed and avarice that destroyed the US and I fear it is manifold about the world by now, if not more prevalent in third- and fourth-world countries, despotic regimes and dictatorships.

It seems to be universal - and I believe universal means "everywhere".

prefect
05-08-2009, 10:27 PM

I agree Sol, why should an employer have to pay because his employee is making babies.
We get around this at work by hiring old people, older the better.
It must cost the big bus companies a packet which is good so we can undercut them on contracts. An opposition bus company at Whenuapai has a 80 plus lady bus driver she wont get preggers.

R2x1
05-08-2009, 11:38 PM
All you have to do now is figure how to pay these relics youth rates and all will be rosy. ;)

Sweep
06-08-2009, 12:08 AM
All you have to do now is figure how to pay these relics youth rates and all will be rosy. ;)

Hmmmm...

Recently turned 67 and took up a job delivering Newspapers and flyers.
Around 5 hours a week to fold and deliver. I got my first pay today after a month. $69.71 after withholding tax.

I will find another way of getting my exersise.

R2x1
06-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Consider how much it would have cost to get the same exercise in a gym - although against the gym is the fact that they don't supply rain in useful healthy doses; the paper round provides plenty of that free ! Also - the shivering provides a pretty fair amount of exercise just on it's own.

SurferJoe46
06-08-2009, 04:37 AM
Hmmmm...

Recently turned 67 and took up a job delivering Newspapers and flyers.
Around 5 hours a week to fold and deliver. I got my first pay today after a month. $69.71 after withholding tax.

I will find another way of getting my exersise.

I find that since I'm retired (not my choice - the body is failing) that I am busier and more active than I ever was when I was "gainfully" employed.

Also - I refuse to do the things I did (mechanic/automotive-heavy duty-off road) which was greasy-dirty and the change in venue to wood, cement and nails is something that is totally obtuse to all that. It's a breath of fresh air to me.

prefect
06-08-2009, 12:18 PM

That would be good R2x1 but the peasants would probably revolt.
I hate revolting peasants.

Poppa John
07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I find that since I'm retired (not my choice - the body is failing) that I am busier and more active than I ever was when I was "gainfully" employed.

Also - I refuse to do the things I did (mechanic/automotive-heavy duty-off road) which was greasy-dirty and the change in venue to wood, cement and nails is something that is totally obtuse to all that. It's a breath of fresh air to me.

I concur with the above altho I was a heavy industrial electrician (not by weight, dork!) I too, like wood . It has life, even tho it is technically dead.

Again I am doing less of anything as my health is waning after my stroke.

Life can be a S--T sometimes Eh? PJ