PDA

View Full Version : can i make my P300 pspcca-05y01y FASTER

hank
05-08-2009, 01:08 AM
hi i brought a new laptop about a month ago and after setting it up and installing some games ive found its not as fast as i would have hoped i have been searching to find anyway to speed it up to a comfortable gaming speed but with no luck so my final attempt is to ASK.
my only conclusion to this situation is to go to 64 bit but im not an expert my spec are as follows

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P7450 Dual Core 2.13GHz

4GB DD R2 (2GB +2GB) (800Mhz) Both slots used.
Total memory expandable to 8GB

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650
(512MB discrete video memory and up to 2302MB video memory with 4GB system RAM)

full specs here just look for the p300
http://203.56.127.51//TOPIC/product_details/product/20090701/Toshiba_Retail_Range_Specification_Brochure_Q109_5 .pdf

SO in my conclusion did i just waste $2200 on a not so fast laptop or can i make still make this work???
can i put in a new cpu?
can i put in a new gpu?
what about 64 bit???

any suggestions would be WICKED THANKS
rob

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2009, 01:28 AM
can i put in a new cpu?

If its replaceable, yup, if not no

can i put in a new gpu?

If its onboard, probably not

what about 64 bit???

If the CPU supports 64 bit, then yup you can install a 64 bit version of windows, if not, then no. Should have brought a desktop, laptops arent that great for gaming

Blam
05-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Yes
Yes but would require a lot of work
Yes

Going 64bit will not benefit you much in games except slightly extra RAM.

You'd be better off selling it and buying a cheap netbook+fast desktop with the money

Blam

Jen
05-08-2009, 07:38 AM
any suggestions would be WICKED THANKS
robHi Rob,

Sorry, but your first choice of username was not appropriate for this forum. I have changed this to "Hank" instead. Please let me know if you prefer some other username instead.

Thanks
Jen (Moderator)

pctek
05-08-2009, 09:12 AM
laptop
games ive found its not as fast as i would have hoped

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P7450 Dual Core 2.13GHz

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650

SO in my conclusion did i just waste $2200

It's not bad as far as laptops go. Specs wise that is.

But laptops are not designed for gaming.
And generally no, you can't upgrade them.

In gaming the single most important component is the Graphics Card.
I would never use a 3xxx anything.
The minimum I'd put in a gaming PC would be a 4850.

For those who just want to play low end games.

Laptops are great for portability and not taking up much space and thats it.

You want gaming, buy a desktop.
I haven't bought or built and entire PC for myself in years, I just change parts every now and then, so you could say it evolves.

Thats whats good about gaming PCs.

hank
05-08-2009, 05:02 PM
hi guys
thanks for your msgs i KNOW a laptop isnt the greatest for gaming , but i had to get a laptop because im sure as hell not lugging a desktop all around the country , it does play games pretty well, all i want to know is if my only option is to go for 64bit will it improve my frame rate in game play , yes the graphics card is NOT onboard sooo can i put a better one in?? if so what???

hank
05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
sorry for the "offensive" nickname hank is fine :D

hank
05-08-2009, 05:14 PM
how can i find out if these parts are replaceable?

thanks for the reply :)

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Most arent thats why its called a laptop

Blam
05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
how can i find out if these parts are replaceable?

thanks for the reply :)

Most parts probably are-but you'd have to probably pay an arm and a leg for it.

Not worth it.

Get a desktop for around $700. It'll be much faster than this laptop.

Blam

Agent_24
06-08-2009, 12:31 AM
He just said he didn't want a desktop because of the (non)portability issue....

You maybe could replace the CPU but bear in mind that the current cooling solution in your laptop may not be suitable for a faster CPU

There's not really much you could do to make it faster. A 64-Bit version of windows wouldn't do much, unless the game was actually written with 64-bit code and could take more of an advantage of the CPU but even then, I don't know what kind of improvement you'd get.

The GPU might be on it's own board and may be replaceable but an upgrade is probably unlikely and would no doubt be expensive as hell even if it was possible. This is because there is no standard for laptop parts, and Toshiba may not even have made any other card that can fit that particular model. It's not like a desktop where you can put any card in as long as it's the right slot type.

In saying that though, if you want to be sure, go and ask Toshiba.

Your easiest way to faster games will be to turn the resolution and quality down. But by the sounds of it, the games already run OK anyway?

hank
06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
hi again, if you read my previous posts you will find buying a desktop isnt an option , i love my games BUT i live out of hotel rooms , i cant lug a desktop around with me let alone a ps3 or xbox with a 42 inch , money isnt much of a problem , i just want an educated answer from someone who knows what they are talking about not just everyone telling me to buy a desktop , anyone KNOW anything about pain in the xxx laptop upgrades????
(i cant swear the internet is so PC)

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Well since its new, take it back to the shop and ask. Otherwise if you open it and screw it, thats the end of the warranty

hank
06-08-2009, 12:48 AM
He just said he didn't want a desktop because of the (non)portability issue....

You maybe could replace the CPU but bear in mind that the current cooling solution in your laptop may not be suitable for a faster CPU

There's not really much you could do to make it faster. A 64-Bit version of windows wouldn't do much, unless the game was actually written with 64-bit code and could take more of an advantage of the CPU but even then, I don't know what kind of improvement you'd get.

The GPU might be on it's own board and may be replaceable but an upgrade is probably unlikely and would no doubt be expensive as hell even if it was possible. This is because there is no standard for laptop parts, and Toshiba may not even have made any other card that can fit that particular model. It's not like a desktop where you can put any card in as long as it's the right slot type.

In saying that though, if you want to be sure, go and ask Toshiba.

Your easiest way to faster games will be to turn the resolution and quality down. But by the sounds of it, the games already run OK anyway?

FINALLY someone who reads a post before replying ,
thanks man yea i figured it would be a massive pain. i did find a set of 4gb ram sticks to bring this up to 8gb for just over $700 but if it wont help the games then i might just have to sell this large hot paper weight.

the games ive tried all WORK but not as well as one would hope so far i have tested
saints row 2 , runs at medium with out lagging still playable though
gta4 , runs at minimum and looks worse than san Andreas
cod 4 runs , and looks very pretty even when running on med settings
wolverine runs and looks sweet (thank you unreal engine)
burnout paradise runs and looks sweet BUT burnout and vista dont get along
and a bunch of others but i wont bother listing them

so my next option is , sell this thing and upgrade , anyone want a new laptop???
and any ideas on a portable game system THAT WILL FIT ON MY BACK!!! for under 4k??

thanks for all the intelligent replies

hank
06-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Well since its new, take it back to the shop and ask. Otherwise if you open it and screw it, thats the end of the warranty

will harvey norman take it back just because i dont like it????

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Probably not but thats not what I meant, I said to ask them if whatever is replaceable / upgradeable

hank
06-08-2009, 01:28 AM
argh sales people in those shops have no idea about that kinda thing, no more than what they can read off the box
i have found a replacement but i need more opinions
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/HP/auction-232733193.html
tell me what u guys think??? is it worth it?

hank
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM
woops delete the last "L" in "html"

Agent_24
06-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure if it's worth it but that one on Trademe has pretty nice specifications. Maybe someone else can help here. Then again, is it worth it to you?

As for upgrading from 4GB to 8GB of RAM - not much use in doing that at all really. You can only make use of over 4GB with a 64-Bit OS and I doubt most games even need more than 4GB at this stage. Even the most demanding ones currently only need 3GB, I think.

8GB might be a good idea if you were using 64-Bit windows + 64-Bit Photoshop and editing massive images....