PDA

View Full Version : Networking help

bluezone
04-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi all.

having sum problems connecting 2 computers.

Using a crossover cable.

! computer is running windows xp pro sp3 and other is running windows server 2003 R2 enterprise SP2.

Wanting to have them linked so i hca copy files from 1 to the other also play videos off the other pc from the other.

Also The computer thats running windows has a USB wireless braodband stick for internet.

How do i set this up? so i can have both pcs connected. Both computers are Dell. 1 is a SFF desktop and other is a server.

Thanks.

Blam
04-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Right Click>Properties>sharing.

bluezone
04-08-2009, 11:32 PM
got to get them connected 1st.

Get error message. Limited or no connectivity.

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Is there a hub or router in between? If there is, remove the crossover

Blam
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
got to get them connected 1st.

Get error message. Limited or no connectivity.

Set a static IP on each computer.

bluezone
05-08-2009, 12:11 AM
This PC is running off the usb wireless and I have net. The other pc is connected to this pc using the network cable/

So under. Network Connections. right click on the local Area Connection and go properties. Then what?

Also what PC am I doing this on? This pc or the other?

bluezone
05-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Speedy.

There is no hub or router or modem. just network cable from 1 pc to other.

Its a brand new cable.

wainuitech
05-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Thats easy enough to set up -- Cant be bothered writing it out ( to early) - have a read Of this article (http://www.home-network-help.com/crossover.html)

Also do you want to have internet on the server ( internet sharing) from the PC ?

bluezone
05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks.

Read that page and is all running now. I can see the main PC from the server but cant see the server on the main pc.

There is no Shared documents folder on the server when i go into My Computer.

Internet on server? No.

wainuitech
05-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Look under My Networking Places for all shared folders.

First create and share a folder on the server - see if the PC can see it. (my require a reboot of both.)

Depending on how the file permissions are set on the server will depend on how you access them.
Normally with a Server its designed to be Logged into, unlike a Standard computer.

Normally with a Server (real server) you have to set sharing permissions for users (or lower it to Everyone), completely different to sharing on a Standard XP PC.

Have a read of this MS article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324267) You'll see what I Mean. This article (http://www.trcb.com/computers-and-technology/windows-server-2003/windows-server-2003-configure-access-to-shared-folders-2390.htm) is more in depth.

You have to remember when working with Server 2003 - you are working with a completely different " kettle of Fish" than a normal every day Computer.

This is why I like WHS ( waiting for the comments - its well known I like WHS) :D -its a cut down version of Server 2003, made a LOT easier for average users.

Edited: No Internet sharing -- good saves 1 less headache.;)

bluezone
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
ok got both seeing each other and files.

See getting the net working on the server going to be a ass to get going?

Thanks for the help. :D