PDA

View Full Version : Connecting at Hot Spot

Grimy
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi, this may be a dumb question. I'm going to be away from home and may need internet access.
If I go to a "hot spot" what's the procedure to connect my laptop?
It has wireless. I did try a long time ago at a motel that had free wireless access - the availability of a network was confirmed but I couldn't connect. I can't remember the error message.
I hardly have my laptop away from home, so not worth buying a mobile device like a vodem or whatever.
I connect to my home network no problem wirelessly (Xtra).
Are there any settings I need to change for a general hot spot?
Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Depends who it is, ask them

davidmmac
04-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I imagine you would need to buy some data (unless it's a free one) so there may be instructions there :thumbs:.

I would think that it would be a case of buying data, connecting to the network, going onto the internet, entering a code (for the purchased data) and then browsing :).

Blam
04-08-2009, 09:13 PM
You shouldn't need to change anything.

Maybe it requires you to login via a captive portal.

Grimy
04-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I imagine you would need to buy some data (unless it's a free one) .

Sorry, I should have said a free hot spot, such as a motel.
As far as paying for some access who is the best for buying a small data amount? I'm only going to need to check emails and do a bit of surfing for a few days. Not downloading music or anything.

Blam
04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Could you please state the exact error?

Its impossible for us to help without knowing this information.

Grimy
04-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Could you please state the exact error?

Its impossible for us to help without knowing this information.

Hi, I can't remember the error message - it was a couple of years ago at least that I tried connecting at a motel.
I'll have to give it a go again and take a screen shot of any message next time.
Just one of those things - I hardly ever use my laptop away from home where it connects wirelessly to my home network, so have never had to find out how to make it work out in the wide world!

feersumendjinn
04-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Maybe this'll help (is for Vista, tho)
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=12029

Grimy
04-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I've been doing some Googling and found some more stuff too. Will have to sit near a Starbucks and have a try.

gary67
05-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Most local libraries have free hotspots too