PDA

View Full Version : The Creditability of Global warming!

B.M.
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html

Seems the Nutters have been around for years?

Just didn't get lift off last time. :D

Gobe1
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah and then it will rain like 40 b@#$%!@#s and say it is the worst rainfall in 100 years.... ok, so 100 years ago it was worse???

Greg
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I think the editors and authors of National Geographic are a bit more qualified to comment on this issue than some fool from Time magazine.

somebody
04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
The other thing to note is that despite the name, global warming doesn't necessarily mean that it will always be warmer. That's why the phrase "climate change" is used more now - changes in the climate mean that we're getting more extreme weather conditions; whether they are harsher droughts or heat waves, stronger storms, etc.

Erayd
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
The other thing to note is that despite the name, global warming doesn't necessarily mean that it will always be warmer. That's why the phrase "climate change" is used more now - changes in the climate mean that we're getting more extreme weather conditions; whether they are harsher droughts or heat waves, stronger storms, etc.
Exactly - the key concept here is more energy in the global weather systems (not just atmospheric weather). Often this doesn't manifest as higher temperatures, although there are certainly some situations where it does.

CliveM
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM

"Climate change" as the description was bought in when the doomsayers realized that "Global warming" is provably b...s... but the climate always is in a state of change, it always has been and it always will. They have to keep the population on the verge of panic so as to keep money rolling in, in the form of research grants etc and also to set us all up for the massive tax grab that the proposed carbon credit system is.

martynz
04-08-2009, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=CliveM;807113]"Climate change" as the description was bought in when the doomsayers realized that "Global warming" is provably b...s... but the climate always is in a state of change, it always has been and it always will. They have to keep the population on the verge of panic so as to keep money rolling in, in the form of research grants etc and also to set us all up for the massive tax grab that the proposed carbon credit system is.[/QUOTE

Unlike the deniers who keep the money rolling in from the oil companies.

Martynz

Digby
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Climate change is a new description bought in as Global Warming is patently not happening this year.
x3.

I am not a greenie, (but my name is) and do not believe in climate change. If you have weather, it can only get worse. We had years of hurricanes and floods and yet this year no hurricanes and floods in different places. And a cold winter here.
What I do get worried about is the amount of global resources that are disappearing - oil, water, minerals, etc.
This is being caused by the huge increase in the population and the growing wealth of it.
But I do believe in conservation and looking after the planet where it makes sense.
My remedy is one live child per female then forced sterilisation.
This is the only way to start reducing the worlds population.
Its gone from 3 billion in 1960 to 6 billion now.
But I still think we need more people here in NZ.

CliveM
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=CliveM;807113]"Climate change" as the description was bought in when the doomsayers realized that "Global warming" is provably b...s... but the climate always is in a state of change, it always has been and it always will. They have to keep the population on the verge of panic so as to keep money rolling in, in the form of research grants etc and also to set us all up for the massive tax grab that the proposed carbon credit system is.[/QUOTE

Unlike the deniers who keep the money rolling in from the oil companies.

Martynz

Yes that happens too:(. There is more than one way to scam your way into a fortune.

Sweep
04-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I am just sitting on a chair and I sit well down in case a puff of methane escapes.

johcar
04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Too much information, Sweep!!!

prefect
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I believe Elvis is dead
Lady Di was killed in car crash because the driver was drunk
The Kennedy's are gun shy
UFOs do not exist
Global warming is bull****
If the greenies had their way denying global warming would be a crime like holocaust denial in Austria.

wotz
04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
right on, Prefect

Sweep
04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Prefect is wrong on one count.

UFOs do exist!

A flying object which is not identified happens every day.

I see vapour trails very often which I presume are left by high flying aircraft but from my vantage point I would not know what type of aircraft becuase my eyes are not good enough.

Poppa John
04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Prefect is wrong on one count.

UFOs do exist!

A flying object which is not identified happens every day.

I see vapour trails very often which I presume are left by high flying aircraft but from my vantage point I would not know what type of aircraft becuase my eyes are not good enough.

More likely to be excess gases emanating from the Beehive. Happens when a senior mp is pricked by conscience. Which is why you dont see many of those trails. PJ

R2x1
04-08-2009, 11:08 PM
3 million people in NZ is quite enough, anthills can be reserved for ants.

It's going to be interesting to pick the real go-ers ;)

Sweep
04-08-2009, 11:12 PM
More likely to be excess gases emanating from the Beehive. Happens when a senior mp is pricked by conscience. Which is why you dont see many of those trails. PJ

I do see trails of vapour very often. Much like software often called vapourware.

Hope you are doing OK Poppa!

gary67
05-08-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't believe in global warming but I do know that things are changing, whether that's because of us or not I'm not qualified to say. I think there does need to be some compromises such as why do people have outdoor gas heaters all there doing is heating the atmosphere if your cold put a coat on. Same with outdoor fire places even Spa's outside all your really doing is adding heat to the atmosphere. We go to great lengths to insulate our houses then put heat sources outside go figure. :confused::confused:

It's like having all the latest security for your house then parking your $50000 car on the drive overnight instead of in the garage.:(

prefect
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree those outdoor heaters are decadent and wasteful of non renewable energy.
They are really just trying to heat up the world. I guess only the rich people have them. Years ago when having pissups at the yard we used to use a 44 gal drum with some wood and oily rags.
Those days are gone people dont like the smoke and ya get in the crap if people drink and drive from a work pissup.

R2x1
05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, if we ban all decadent and wasteful outdoor heating, it looks like it's curtains for Rotorua and White Island.
The sun is probably going to have to go too - currently I think it may have already gone out somewhere.

mikebartnz
05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't believe in global warming but I do know that things are changing, whether that's because of us or not I'm not qualified to say. I think there does need to be some compromises such as why do people have outdoor gas heaters all there doing is heating the atmosphere if your cold put a coat on. Same with outdoor fire places even Spa's outside all your really doing is adding heat to the atmosphere. We go to great lengths to insulate our houses then put heat sources outside go figure. :confused::confused:
The film industry does quite well with all the explosions they seem to have especially Yank ones.

limepile
05-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Gee, we've got this new interweb thing and people still find it hard to look stuff up.

there is increasing research that co2 levels are getting lower and that there is less available co2 to replace that which is being used by plants. Our thermal blanket is getting thinner.More energy is being loss to space. Allegedly.

The worlds population is Decreasing.
The birth rate needs to be 2.1 children per female to keep the population constant . In most western and asian countries the level is far below this ( approx 1.67 ). Even in those countries known to have traditionally high birth rates, these rates are falling.

I am not a global warming skeptic nor am I a global warming denier. I am a global warming atheist. I don't believe one bit of it. That the earth's climate changes is undeniable. Only ignoramuses believe that climate stability is normal. But I see NO evidence to say that mankind has had anything to do with any of the changes observed -- and much evidence against that claim.

Greg
06-08-2009, 05:09 AM
I am not a global warming skeptic nor am I a global warming denier. I am a global warming atheist. I don't believe one bit of it. That the earth's climate changes is undeniable. Only ignoramuses believe that climate stability is normal. But I see NO evidence to say that mankind has had anything to do with any of the changes observed -- and much evidence against that claim.

So you're a particle physicist?

The genuine experts say otherwise. The absolute evidence shows that humans have interfered with the environment to such an extent that we're responsible for killing off polar bear's habitat. And creating massive holes in the upper atmosphere which is causing this climate change.

People... don't be an ostrich with your head in the sand.

wmoore
06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
So you're a particle physicist?

The genuine experts say otherwise. The absolute evidence shows that humans have interfered with the environment to such an extent that we're responsible for killing off polar bear's habitat. And creating massive holes in the upper atmosphere which is causing this climate change.

People... don't be an ostrich with your head in the sand.

And who are the genuine experts ? Could we have some links to references
please.

Re the polar bears.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-500424/Polars-bears-brink-Dont-believe-it.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1545036/Polar-bears-thriving-as-the-Arctic-warms-up.html

somebody
06-08-2009, 08:38 AM
please.

Re the polar bears.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-500424/Polars-bears-brink-Dont-believe-it.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1545036/Polar-bears-thriving-as-the-Arctic-warms-up.html

http://www.ipcc.ch/

rob_on_guitar
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrVCI4N67M

Im no greenie and cant stand listening to these tv personalities at all, but this reminds me humans are filthy creatures and need to be culled.

prefect
06-08-2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrVCI4N67M

Im no greenie and cant stand listening to these tv personalities at all, but this reminds me humans are filthy creatures and need to be culled.

lol, too true

Winston001
06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
What I do get worried about is the amount of global resources that are disappearing - oil, water, minerals, etc.
This is being caused by the huge increase in the population and the growing wealth of it.

But I do believe in conservation and looking after the planet where it makes sense.
My remedy is one live child per female then forced sterilisation.
This is the only way to start reducing the worlds population.
Its gone from 3 billion in 1960 to 6 billion now.

Well said. There is research which suggests 2 billion is the sustainable population of the Earth. 1960 was the last time the environment was in stasis = balance. Since then we have killed more bio-mass per annum than natural growth can replace. That is a one-way process = disaster.

It's happened before. Easter Island. Mesopotamia. Mayan civilisation.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Its crap. As the saying goes shi* happens, its going to happen one day. And this kyoto protocol is a pile of bs. Its a waste of money and space.

Cicero
06-08-2009, 05:21 PM
please.

Re the polar bears.

Greg is not one to let the facts get in the way of popular opinion.

Greg
06-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Greg is not one to let the [so called] facts get in the way of popular opinion.:lol:

limepile
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
No I'm not a particle scientist, and i don't become personal when trying to argue a point either. I find those that don't understand an issue or that do not have valid evidence to back their case tend to vilify their opponent rather than engage in reasoned debate.

A very simple site that would be a good place to start-

http://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?ide=3

As far as the IPCC-

"How do such people become numbered among the IPCC's famed "2,500 top scientists" from around the world? Prof. Reiter, wanting to know, wrote the IPCC with a series of detailed questions about its decision-making process. It replied: "The brief answer to your question below is 'governments.' It is the governments of the world who make up the IPCC, define its remit and direction. The way in which this is done is defined in the IPCC Principles and Procedures, which have been agreed by governments." When Prof. Reiter checked out the "principles and procedures," he found "no mention of research experience, bibliography, citation statistics or any other criteria that would define the quality of 'the world's top scientists.'"

Also see-

http://mclean.ch/climate/IPCC.htm

this took 5 minutes to research , please feel free to rebut.

limepile
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Opps......

Three Australasian researchers have shown that natural forces are the dominant influence on climate, in a study just published in the highly-regarded Journal of Geophysical Research. According to this study little or none of the late 20th century global warming and cooling can be attributed to human activity.

The research, by Chris de Freitas, a climate scientist at the University of Auckland in New Zealand, John McLean (Melbourne) and Bob Carter (James Cook University), finds that the El Nińo-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is a key indicator of global atmospheric temperatures seven months later. As an additional influence, intermittent volcanic activity injects cooling aerosols into the atmosphere and produces significant cooling.

possibly a physicist in this bunch...

rob_on_guitar
06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
According to this study little or none of the late 20th century global warming and cooling can be attributed to human activity.

....global warming and cooling? Cant they even make their minds up?

prefect
06-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Its been a most miserably cold winter here in Auckland I have already burnt through the amount of wood that would last to September.
Scientists were saying we are moving into another mini ice age a few years ago. I think these scientists are correct and the global warming ones get a big fat fail. On dunce hat and sit quietly in back of lab.

R2x1
06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Take the safe route - believe the opposite of the Australians and you have a better than 98% chance of being right. ;)

mikebartnz
06-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Al Gore a fraud. Just watching 20/20 and they showed a computer generated shot of some massive ice shelves and how Al Gore used that shot in his doco.

R2x1
06-08-2009, 11:42 PM
He's a politician, which leaves the observer with a dilemma. Does his instinctive reaction to lie cancel out his innate politician's ability to be wrong?

Cicero
07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Its been a most miserably cold winter here in Auckland I have already burnt through the amount of wood that would last to September.
Scientists were saying we are moving into another mini ice age a few years ago. I think these scientists are correct and the global warming ones get a big fat fail. On dunce hat and sit quietly in back of lab.

This is becoming a habit Pre,right again.

Keep it up!.

gary67
07-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Warmer here we have burnt lees than most years still have plenty left over

Greg
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
please feel free to rebut.
Well you don't actually have to be a particle physicist to observe the affects of mankind's contribution to global warming (or climate change if you prefer).

Many contibutors to NatGeo are laymen who've simply been studying these affects.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/

ps - I didn't intend to insult you by asking your science qualifications... it was just a bit of sarcasm. If you took offense at my lack of tact I apologise.

B.M.
07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Whilst in Australia recently one of their most respected scientists came out and publicly denounced the whole proposition.

Naturally, the Australian Media seized on the opportunity and wanted to publicly debate the issue. The Pro lobby weren’t interested, so the Media got stuck into the Politicians. Then it got interesting, because Rudd decreed that his politicians were not to discuss the issue with the Media. “No Comment” was the best response they could get.

So what did the Media do? They went around each politician and published a page full of photos of all the ones that wouldn’t comment, with Duct Tape around their mouths.

Hilarious, but I guess it’s better to shut up and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. :D

One thing about the Aussies, they’re not scared to rip their politicians apart at any given opportunity.

Personally I am right against avoidable pollution as I think the vast majority are, but I’m heartily sick of all the unfounded theories and scare mongering.

In 1974 we were entering an Ice Age. Since then Aids was going to wipe out the world, at the millennium water was going to flow up hill, the poles would reverse and we’d have no electricity, the Y2K bug would crash all computers, cars with computers wouldn’t go and then there’s been Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Global Warming, you name it and the Government of the day bought into all of them. :rolleyes:

To make matters worse, our kids as early as Pre School are being brain washed with all this nonsense.

Where will it all end? :rolleyes:

johcar
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Well said B.M..!!!

Cicero
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Well said B.M..!!!

Well said Jo.

wratterus
07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Well said Jo.

And Cic. :thumbs:

zqwerty
07-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Is there an echo in here?

Cicero
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Is there an echo in here?

Indeed,we want to echo that which is right and show our solidarity.

Which of course is foreign to those who are strangers to fair play and justice .