04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Do you subscribe to it?

ronyville
04-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Work pays for my subscription :thumbs:

wratterus
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM

x2 there's always one at work. I wouldn't subscribe, I think the mag is going downhill in a serious way, has been for about 2 years.

Erayd
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I used to buy newsstand copies, but that hasn't happened for quite a while now - these days the mag is pretty darn useless in my opinion, as wratterus says it's gone badly downhill.

What APC is these days is what PCW used to be when it was good.

prefect
04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I have a pile of PCW from 1996 to 2003 and I eagerly looked forward to it pitching up in the post. I would read and reread until I understood every article.
Then all of a sudden the articles became to hard to understand imo, went over my business/home pc level head.

johcar
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I subscribe, but probably won't renew....

whellington
04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
How much a year?

wainuitech
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Mine was on auto renew other wise I wouldn't have renewed it again this year -

The better ones are Aust PC User, APC and sometimes Aust PC Authority.

What seems funny is an article comes out in APC or PC user and the following month PC world has the similar article -- :rolleyes:

johcar
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Mine was on auto renew other wise I wouldn't have renewed it again this year -

The better ones are Aust PC User, APC and sometimes Aust PC Authority.

What seems funny is an article comes out in APC or PC user and the following month PC world has the similar article -- :rolleyes:H

Hmmm. That's not funny "haha", that shows lack of originality...

Krisby5
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree with wratterus, It was good. Its full of too many bloody adds now...

nofam
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Yup, just renewed my sub, and buy PC Authority casually (although i really should subscribe as I'd never miss an issue).

As I said in the other thread, PCA is a far better read if you have a more-than-cursory knowledge of PC's. And I love Jon Honeyballs column; I'd probably buy PCA just for that.

Erayd - curious to know your thoughts on Leigh Dyer's column on Linux in PCA (if you buy/read it?)? Sometimes seems to me that the old joke about how to start an argument with Economists (put them in the same room) applies to Linux guru's too!

I'm always keen to learn more about the dark arts of the monolithic kernel :thumbs:

jwil1
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I agree with wratterus, It was good. Its full of too many bloody adds now...

+1

I also unsubscribed because alot of the content was sourced from PCworld.com - and thus I had already read it months before it was in the NZ PCW mag.

convair
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Some years ago it was worth reading the PCW magazine for the various articles such as guides to adding bits to the PC. Now though I think the PCW magazine has gone downhill.

Erayd
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Erayd - curious to know your thoughts on Leigh Dyer's column on Linux in PCA (if you buy/read it?)? Sometimes seems to me that the old joke about how to start an argument with Economists (put them in the same room) applies to Linux guru's too!

I'm always keen to learn more about the dark arts of the monolithic kernel :thumbs:
I haven't read it - do you have a link?

R2x1
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Alas for the readers, and probably to the chagrin of it's staff, PC World has lost a lot if not all of it's value. It was a great roundup of the world of PC's. Now it is waiting room chaff, attempting to be an all-purpose miscellany of something or other.
I was proud of their efforts on behalf of NZ PC users, not too much of that now I'm afraid.
A bit like Dick Smith striving to be a toaster shop and totally ignoring their roots - they couldn't even hold a candle to David Reid now.
Sadly too, APC is swerving into a diluted version of what it was a year ago.

The country is going to the dogs since we stopped eating the missionaries.

pcuser42
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I used to have a subscription (paid for as a Christmas present), but my aunt forgot to renew it and now I have to buy each issue.

Pato
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I subscribe but probably won't renew. I have just started to dump back copies which were twice the size of the present editions and to me were of more interest

davidmmac
04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I haven't subscribed, I just buy each issue from the newstand :).

I agree with wratterus though, pity really as it used to be a great magazine....

gary67
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I won't be renewing as it has gone down too far for me now

Blam
04-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Lucky Bastard.

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Nup I get netguide to go in the competitions :p