PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake Clusers

SurferJoe46
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Big quake off Mexico shakes San Diego, Phoenix

Quake080309

A magnitude-6.9 earthquake off the Gulf of California jolted Mexican fishing villages and rattled buildings and nerves from San Diego to Phoenix. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reported the quake struck at 12:59 p.m. Pacific time (3:59 ET). The epicenter was 76 miles north-northeast of Santa Isabel in Baja California and 331 miles southeast of Tijuana. No tsunami alert was issued for Hawaii or the U.S. Pacific coast, but the Gulf of California was on guard for possible big waves.

The quake was the strongest of four tremors greater than 5.0 that hit over 45 minutes late this morning. The first, about four minutes before, registered 5.8.

A fire department spokesman in Phoenix ó 460 miles from the epicenter ó told the Associated Press that a high-rise near downtown shook violently enough that workers evacuated.

kenj
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Joe, we have had them here as well. One huge one that did no damage as it was in a very isolated area. then the aftershocks since.

Reminds me of when I was a kid watching Superman movies where Krypton was doing the same (just before it blew to smithereens) when he (as a baby) was blasted off to land in the US of A and become the greatest crimefighter in Earth's history!!

Ken

SurferJoe46
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Our - no, make that MY - biggest concern is that most of the fault action is on the San Andreas and the San Jacinto - the latter is the one on which I am perched!

I can hear the place creak all the time in this bedroom but nowhere else as the home moves on one end and not the other. I swear that I can see the ground move in a line running right under my house all the time.

I am situated in a river bed - well, sorta, anyway - and the Infallible US Army Corps of Engineers told the count of Riverside to NOT allow any homes here, but I guess mobile homes don't count.

Don't riverbeds always open up and swallow people in all the movies? Huh!? And don't they throw old wimmen and animal sacrifices into those big cracks?

Don't tell me a falsehood! :confused::xmouth:

kenj
04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Superman will come to your rescue... just make sure you don't have any Kryptonite handy.

Ken :D

This may interest you about our town... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_earthquake

SurferJoe46
04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I just noticed that I am droping a lot of leters in my tuyping.

I'm gonna assume this is from old age and not fear.

johcar
04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
<snip>
Don't riverbeds always open up and swallow people in all the movies? Huh!? And don't they throw old wimmen and animal sacrifices into those big cracks?

Don't tell me a falsehood! :confused::xmouth:

Most of the movies I recall, the animals went into the cracks that opened up, and/or the bad guys, along with beautiful young women as the sacrifice. So you're probably safe Joe... :D

stu161204
04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Our - no, make that MY - biggest concern is that most of the fault action is on the San Andreas and the San Jacinto - the latter is the one on which I am perched!

I think you more have to worry about the San Andreas Fault, as they say itís over due for a shake.

SurferJoe46
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Thank-you for the reassurance.

R2x1
04-08-2009, 11:55 PM
If you put up a sign saying "Earth Tremors Strictly Forbidden In This Area" and "Subsidence Prohibited" the forces of evil will strike elsewhere.
Alternatively, stick a few cars(?) from the land of Lucas around, and the faults will be preoccupied.