PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Decrease

Kimo
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi guys I have few question on broadband speed and wonder if you guys can help me solve it somehow.

I have moved to this new house a year ago and have had a connection&wiring service from telecom due to our alarm system. At the start of this year we had a download speed of 300~400kb/ and the computer was placed right next to the phone line and the modem. However due to rearranging of your furniture etc, We have placed the computers in the second floor. Due to the connection&wiring the ADSL can be only used in the first floor, therefore sicne we have a ethernet ports on the walls of our home we used them. Download speed in the second floor was around 250~300kb/s. Which I thought guessed the cable length decreased it.

However now I get only around 70~100kb/s download speed and it been decreasing over few months. Will there be an option to move our modem up to the second floor? What will I have to do to get the maximum speed?

somebody
03-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Kimo, and welcome to PressF1.

The ethernet cable (provided it isn't damaged or incorrectly wired) shouldn't have any impact on download speeds - assuming that I'm understanding your post correctly, and that the modem is still downstairs, but you are connecting the computer(s) to the modem using the long ethernet cable.

Where abouts in the country are you, and what are you using to measure download speed?

stormdragon
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Normal ethernet cable lengths shouldn't really come into play in this suit of situation.

I'd be looking at your router and your ISP.

Kimo
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Well I am living in Eastern Auckland and this is hard to explain but the modem(downstairs) is connected throught the ethernet port on the wall and from the main ethernet port(2nd floor), I have connected it to an old hub/router. From the hub my ethernet is once again connected through the ethernet port on the wall and I get my internet off my ethernet port on my room wall. Therefore I'm only using 2 ethernet cable of my own(1m cable) and the home ethernet ports.

Above will be really hard to understand sorry about that, my best to explain the situation.
Currently I'm using an old modem PT3812, wil the upgrading of a modem increase my speed? also I'm currently using Big Time plan from Telecom.

pctek
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Currently I'm using an old modem PT3812,

Whatever that is.
If it is not an ADSL 2+ capable modem, then yes, change it.

As far as your cables go, they should not (end to end) exceed 100m.
And of course, be wired correctly.

MushHead
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Are we talking multiple PC's all with decreasing speed, or just one?

If it's just one, you may find that your NIC may be the problem. A couple of years ago, I was experiencing the problem on my work PC, except I didn't really notice my broadband speed slowing for a while, but my speed around the LAN was definitely slowing down. Initially I blamed AV software, general increase in network traffic (growing company) & my local Ethernet switch. When I got a new PC to migrate over to, I noticed that all my LAN problems disappeared (except when copying stuff off my old PC). Turns out the mobo's NIC was stuffed, but still working enough to maintain a connection. Replaced it and bingo! - problem solved.

Kimo
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm sure it is not the computer's NIC fault because in the router's ADSL shows that line attenuation 42.4 and 29.5 db and 1024 kbps for download and 768kbps for upload speed