PDA

View Full Version : How do I view broadband connection info?

Tony
03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I am sure this is so basic that I'm embarrassed to be asking, but in Vista, how do I find the connection parameters (User name etc) that are being used to connect to my ISP? I can find how to set up a new connection through the network and sharing centre, but I can't find how to inspect the details of my current connection. :blush:

stormdragon
03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
That sort of information will probably be stored on your router and not the actual computer.

In command prompt, type "ipconfig" and see what your default gateway is. Type this in a browser and you should be asked for a username and password (defaults are often admin, admin). Within here you should find the information.

pctek
03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
network and sharing centre,

Then choose Manage Connections.
You will see a Local Area Network (LAN) if using standard broadband, which does not contain username etc....

You may see a Wireless connection also. Again there is no username info.

Or if using dialup, then yes it would have the username info.

Broadband, wired or wireless, stores that info in the modem itself as explained already.

Tony
03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Broadband, wired or wireless, stores that info in the modem itself as explained already.
That, of course, would explain why I couldn't find it on the computer. :D

Thanks. I did think about the router, then thought - nah, it must be stored on the PC itself - wrong again... :groan:

somebody
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Back when people used internal ADSL modems (which lived inside the PC - i.e. they were PCI cards), the username/password etc would be stored on the PC.

nedkelly
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Saw one of those for sale today, told my Cisco tutor who told my class that they were not made any more, he didn't believe me so left the class to go and see for himself.