PDA

View Full Version : Connect Two Computers!

DUNK
03-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Greetings fellow PF1'ers,
I have just bought my first 'Laptop', Through 'TradeMe' & hey, it works! Nearly figured out how to drive it too. A bit different to my old Desktop! My question. I want it to 'talk' to the Desktop. Lappy has 'Wireless' Desktop doesn't, but does have Internet connection, through an RTA1320. So, I guess that I'll need another wireless 'thingy', somewhere, the question is, just what do I need. Cant be too dear, cos I'm on a pension ya know !!
Any replies eagerly sought. :drool
Regards.
Bryan.

gary67
03-08-2009, 07:46 AM
either a wireless adapter for the desktop or an access point for the router, cheapest option would be another ethernet cable and plug it into the router if that's an option. Your up early in Picton, been out on the town?

pcuser42
03-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Last time I went to Picton nothing took EFTPOS. :annoyed:

That RTA1320 looks like it only has one Ethernet port and no wireless - you'll need a router, like this one (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=359951) (not necessarily that expensive though).

MushHead
03-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Your new laptop will have wired ethernet also, right? Question is, do you need the laptop to be wireless?

If not, you have a cheaper option of buying a small ethernet switch, something like this (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=344876) should do the trick. Your RTA1320 should handle 2 computers easily enough (2 PC's to the switch, the switch connected to your RTA1320).

If you want/need the wireless ability, I'd recommend you get yourself an ADSL modem/router such as this (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=361957) (as one of the cheapest options out there). That box will give you the wireless connectivity, plus wired ethernet ports for up to 4 other devices, and replaces your existing modem, which you could sell on TM (not for very much, mind) later or keep as a backup.

Trev
03-08-2009, 09:10 AM
What about an ethernet crossover cable.
:)

Blam
03-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I have a spare USB wireless adapter you can have for $15, its an as new Asus

With that, you can just plug it into your new desktop, create an adhoc network between the two computers and share internet and/or files.

Or, get a router or switch to share your network connection. This will mean your laptop will not need to be on to share internet with the desktop, unlike my above suggestion.

Or, you could use a crossover cable which can be picked up quick cheaply, but since your current laptop is plugged into your modem/router then it you can't really plug it into your desktop at the same time unless your laptop has 2 NICS...

Blam

DUNK
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi,Boys &... Girls...?
Thank you for all the replies. Some really good help & hints there! Now, it's decision time (not my strongest point!) Might have to visit the "Electronic Dick" In Blenheim I think!
"gary67" No. Not up early. I'm up late! Yet to see my bed! Tend to watch Telly till about Midnight, Then, stuff about on the 'puter' Not good I know, but, in my working days I used to do a 4PM till 4 AM shift, for 30 years (Taxi) 5 years later, still doing the same hours. I'll get around to normal hours, one day. If I live long enough !!
"pcuserwinvista" Been here 9 months. Everyone has EFTPOS now, even the Fish & Chip shop. That's progress for ya, eh!
Think I'll go the " Wireless Modem/Router" way, as, don't want more cables, cluttering up the place. Will have to keep the RTA1320 though, as it was included in the PDQ setup stuff. They might want it back! Not looking forward to going through 'setup' woes, like 'Steve L's' ongoing saga though. Once again ... Thanks. :punk
Regards.
Bryan.