PDA

View Full Version : What cable to use when connecting a switch & router via keystone jack

nimrod
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Hello,

I am currently building a network system at home using cat5e wiring via keystone wall jacks throughout my house. I have an all in one Wireless G ADSL Home Gateway device and an 8 port switch. The reason for an additional switch is because I need more than 4 ports than what my Wireless G Adsl home gateway device can provide for me.

I have two questions here; do I use a cross over cable through the wall and out to the keystone wall jack?

Secondly, when it comes to physically connecting these devices themselves (both the router & switch) via the keystone jacks, do I have to use another set of cross over cables or can I continue using straight patch cables?

I apologise if I do not make myself clear here. I am a newbie to the network scene, and If I knew how to upload a picture that may better illustrate my problem, then can someone please guide me. If you require a picture, please ask.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

ronyville
02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
As I far as I can say, you dont need cross-over cables anywhere. Normal Cat5e is fine.

CYaBro
02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
You should never make a cable inside the wall a crossover cable!
Always use only one wiring standard (568a or 568b) on all jack points and in the patch panel/central hub. Never mix them as this can be nightmare later on if you need to do any troubleshooting.
If you need a crossover cable then use a patch lead from the jack point to the equipment.

The Boss
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Thank you guys for your help. I am only using the 568a wiring standard. I take it from your responses that cat5e can used both for wall cabling and the physical connections.

nedkelly
03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
I have done this at my house was very interesting and taught me a few things.
You just use straight through cable but I am wondering are you going to use a patch panel and then plug in to the switch or just put RJ45 plugs on the utp wire from the jack points?

The Boss
03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I am only using RJ45 plugs for my connections to the switch and router. Is there something else I need to consider?

cheers

gary67
03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I have done this at my house put nice white covers on the walls, ran Cat5e to each of them and connected them up then I just use short patch cables to plug in each device although have a switch/print server on the desk to run both comps and another switch in the garage to run the machines down there.

stormdragon
03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
If possible try and test the cables both before laying and after laying, can prevent a lot of headaches later on.

BTW whats with the different user names?

CYaBro
03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
What you would normally do is decide on where you want your patch panel/hub/central location for all cables to run back to.
Most people put this in the garage or under the stairs if available.
Then you pull all your cable runs from there to each location where you want a jack point.
It is recommended to run at least two jack points to each location.
You "pull" the cable from boxes of CAT5e/CAT6 cable that you can buy from your local electrical wholesaler. They come in boxes of 305 Metres.
You also need to pull two runs to where your outside telephone line will be coming in (ETP), this allows for up to 4 phone lines if needed and also future proofs you for when fibre is rolled out (yea right!)
This is the way that Telecom's code of practice says new houses have to be done and they do have a document on line that you can read with more info but I can't find the link right now.

somebody
03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
You also need to pull two runs to where your outside telephone line will be coming in (ETP), this allows for up to 4 phone lines if needed and also future proofs you for when fibre is rolled out (yea right!)
This is the way that Telecom's code of practice says new houses have to be done and they do have a document on line that you can read with more info but I can't find the link right now.

http://www.brightspark.org.nz/installers/installing-fibre.html

nedkelly
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Somebody he is not installing fibre just UTP

somebody
03-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Somebody he is not installing fibre just UTP

Yup - I'm aware of that. I was providing the URL which CYaBro was referring to.

CYaBro
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Yup - I'm aware of that. I was providing the URL which CYaBro was referring to.

Yea cheers somebody but it looks like I need to read it again as they say you need to run 3 CAT5e/CAT6 cables from the patch panel to the ETP. :o

nedkelly
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh sorry

The Boss
03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi everyone,

While it is great to see your responses, maybe I should clarify myself a bit more. There are no problems experienced with my connections via keystone jacks that are installed at the moment. I am near completion for my network system with 3 more rooms to finish excluding my wiring for my Switch to my Router connection. This also includes my telephone line which I will complete last, since this will not take long for me to finish.

However, what is really important for me to know about was whether I needed to use a cross over cable through my keystone jacks [a number of other sources] suggest otherwise, as to explain why I am here.

In conclusion, no one yet has been able to answer my second question when physically connecting my RJ45 cable to the keystone Jack and this connection to the switch or router if this should be 'straight patch' as well.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my question everyone.

ronyville
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
However, what is really important for me to know about was whether I needed to use a cross over cable through my keystone jacks [a number of other sources] suggest otherwise, as to explain why I am here.

In conclusion, no one yet has been able to answer my second question when physically connecting my RJ45 cable to the keystone Jack and this connection to the switch or router if this should be 'straight patch' as well.

Yes, straight patch is fine, you dont need cross-over cables to connect the RJ45 connectors to the switch or router.

somebody
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes, straight patch is fine, you dont need cross-over cables to connect the RJ45 connectors to the switch or router.

Yup - a lot of modern routers/switches are smart enough now to automatically detect whether the cable is a crossover or straight through, and adjust itself accordingly.

The Boss
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Cheers guys thanks for your help.