PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know where I can download MS and pay for it?

memphis
02-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Is there a place were you can download Microsoft Windows OS legally and pay by credit card,so you don't have to go to a shop or wait for it to come in the mail?
:) :thanks

somebody
02-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Microsoft do not sell their OSs online like that, which means that if you do find any sites claiming to do it, they're probably illegal.

The closest thing to it would be (for non-production use only) to grab yourself a Technet or MSDN subscription, which allows you to download a wide range of MS products, plus get licence keys for them. The catch though is that they cannot be used in "production" environments.

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Do the TechNet / MSDN subs cost much?

Blam
02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
AFAIK they're over a gran a year.

How about the Action Packs?

Cato
02-08-2009, 05:28 PM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/subscriptionschart.aspx

Not cheap at all.

memphis
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I have just found out that you can download it and pay by credit card from the official Microsoft Store on the internet but we don't have one for N.Z.. :groan:

U.K.,U.S.A. are the only English speaking ones and I think the price when converted to N.Z. dollars is way more then what you can buy it in N.Z. for,I hope they sell it here like that soon for Windows 7.

Any other places that come to mind could you please post them.:thanks

wainuitech
02-08-2009, 05:42 PM
In round figures, Technet costs about $600 NZ to join ( from memory), with renewals about $450-$500 every year ( once again from memory)

Edited: from memory when I joined it also took about a week for MS to activate the account before you can downlaod anything.

stormdragon
02-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Just went through the process without the disks you'd be looking at $570 initially.

memphis
02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Just went through the process without the disks you'd be looking at $570 initially.

1. Where did you get it from?
2. Which OS was it and was it 64 bit?
3.Any snags,problems with the ordering process etc.?

:):thumbs::thanks

stormdragon
02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Was in regards to Wainui's pricing for Technet

memphis
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Was in regards to Wainui's pricing for Technet

Oh ok.
:):thanks

nmercer
02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
It is worth while pointing out the licensing for Microsoft TechNet Subscriptions

They are designed for IT Professionals to evaluate Microsoft software, not just to install Microsoft products willy nilly without having to worry about licensing, for free

Cheers
Nathan

Microsoft software licensed for evaluation purposes. Evaluate full-version commercial products without time limits or feature limits, including Microsoft operating systems, servers, and Office System software. With full-version software, you can make informed decisions about new technologies and deployments at your own pace.

somebody
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
It is worth while pointing out the licensing for Microsoft TechNet Subscriptions

They are designed for IT Professionals to evaluate Microsoft software, not just to install Microsoft products willy nilly without having to worry about licensing, for free

Cheers
Nathan

Microsoft software licensed for evaluation purposes. Evaluate full-version commercial products without time limits or feature limits, including Microsoft operating systems, servers, and Office System software. With full-version software, you can make informed decisions about new technologies and deployments at your own pace.

And for anyone who doesn't know already, Nathan works for Microsoft NZ.

CYaBro
02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
MS Action pack costs about $860 per year but you have to be a Microsoft Certified Partner to subscribe to it.
It does get you about $40,000 of MS software and licenses though :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
True, and it looks like it has some definite benefits ... perhaps I'll be able to convince my new place of employment to join at some stage :D

13yroldcomputerguru
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Do It The Bloody Free Way! torrents! They Have Saved The World From Being Ripped Off!

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Until you get infected

13yroldcomputerguru
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
? Unless You Have Good Virus Protection Such As Avast Pro! , Stay AWAY FROM NORTONS!

wainuitech
03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Until you get infected EXACTLY-- the amount of pirated Software people in the business see is huge - and sooner or later it will turn around and bite them that use it.

somebody
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Do It The Bloody Free Way! torrents! They Have Saved The World From Being Ripped Off!

The original thread author wanted a legal avenue to download software. P2P sources of Microsoft software are not legal.

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2009, 07:02 PM

24-hours to think about that ... Please familiarize yourself with the rules here:
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81855

As has been pointed out to you (http://pressf1.co.nz/showpost.php?p=806463&postcount=17) already, we don't advocate piracy here.

I know based on your name you appear to think the world of yourself, and you may be talented for a 13yr old, but please don't presume that you know *more* than the rest of the members here. There are some very talented people here that deserve your respect, just as they will respect you.

PCmaster
03-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Chilling_Science, Don't Say Mean Things About Other Users. I've Read This Guys Posts And its Only Good Intention. This Guy Seems Very Smart For His Age. Id Love To Know As Much As He Does.

somebody
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Chilling_Science, Don't Say Mean Things About Other Users. I've Read This Guys Posts And its Only Good Intention. This Guy Seems Very Smart For His Age. Id Love To Know As Much As He Does.

Let me guess: 13yroldcomputerguru = PCmaster?

Jen
03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Chilling_Science, Don't Say Mean Things About Other Users. I've Read This Guys Posts And its Only Good Intention. This Guy Seems Very Smart For His Age. Id Love To Know As Much As He Does.Chilling_Silence is a Moderator and Admin of this forum, like myself. What he says goes.

It is blatantly obvious you are the same person as 13yroldcomputerguru and you are doing nothing but losing face by making posts like this.

Your alternative account has now been banned. Do not attempt to by-pass your ban from this forum by using different accounts.

Blam
03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Let me guess: 13yroldcomputerguru = PCmaster?

What gave it away.

The capitals at the start of every word?

:lol:

wainuitech
03-08-2009, 11:01 PM
What gave it away.

The capitals at the start of every word?

:lol: Ya Think :rolleyes: :D

And Whats Wrong With Caps On eVERY wORD :p

Heres a dead give away - I think the Mods can see the IP address as well.

Man this place makes me smile sometimes. :thumbs:

gary67
04-08-2009, 07:52 AM
If I'd had that big a chip on my shoulder I would forget IT and open a chip shop

memphis
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
1. When it comes to Vista and Windows 7 should I get Retail or OEM and is there an advantage for me to go for the Retail version,I mean there must be as it does cost more so I must be getting something that the OEM version does not allow you to do?

2. And would it be good for me to buy Vista now with the upgrade coupon to windows 7 deal or wait for Windows 7 to come out.

3. And also does anyone have a ball park figure/educated guess/or know how much Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit will cost?

Oh I would be getting Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit or Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.:thumbs:

Thank you all for your contributions!!!:clap:thumbs::thanks

Poppa John
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
What about the Microsoft Offices in Auckland ? Can you buy or download from there? Just a thort! PJ

Blam
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
1. AFAIK OEM is stuck to the same motherboard+cpu, while with retail you can reinstall with the same key on different hardware(If you decide to upgrade)

2. Wait for it to come it. Probably will be cheaper.

3. I'd say around $400-$600 at first? Might drop to around $350 after a while

Blam

Blam
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
1. AFAIK OEM is stuck to the same motherboard+cpu, while with retail you can reinstall with the same key on different hardware(If you decide to upgrade)

2. Wait for it to come it. Probably will be cheaper.

3. I'd say around $400-$600 at first? Might drop to around $350 after a while

Blam

Chilling_Silence
04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" which basically means it must be shipped with the hardware it is going to be installed on. Technically speaking if you buy a SATA cable at the same time, you qualify AFAIK.

Wait for Win7 -- Don't go the Vista path

Also apparently there's going to be a "Family pack" which will cost ~$150-$200 (NZD) which allows for installation / upgrade of 3x machines! Will only be the Home Premium though...

whellington
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Just buy from a online retail store...

wainuitech
04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" which basically means it must be shipped with the hardware it is going to be installed on. Technically speaking if you buy a SATA cable at the same time, you qualify AFAIK. It used to be (short Version) MS worded it to say "you must purchase a component that the computer will not run without". ( this has been changed now)

This eliminated things like optical Drives, monitors, Floppy drives, Keyboard/mouse, speakers, printers etc.

All a Computer needs to run is Motherboard, CPU, RAM Power Supply and hard Drive.

Saying a sata cable - my be stretching it a bit I think. :D

I have OEM keyboards and Mice here - it clearly states on the box "For distribution only with a new PC".

Other OEM software I have states "only with a fully assembled Computer System".

memphis
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
The Windows 7 Family Pack sounds like a really good deal.:thumbs:

Is it only a upgrade pack or is it a full/complete/new install pack?

In other words do I need to have Windows XP/Vista on the machines for it to work or if they have Linux :thumbs: on them will it work on them as a complete new install for a new OS?

Cheers to everyone for the information/help I believe that this thread will help others as well that are thinking about getting a new OS!!!
:thumbs::thanks:clap

Chilling_Silence
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Apparently its an XP / Vista Upgrade (With XP you *must* do a clean install as XP can't upgrade to Win7 regardless, but its an 'upgrade' still), however I'm unsure on the official word ...

Blam
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Apparently its an XP / Vista Upgrade (With XP you *must* do a clean install as XP can't upgrade to Win7 regardless, but its an 'upgrade' still), however I'm unsure on the official word ...

Thats right, no upgrades from XP to 7

There are tools to help your migrate stuff over though.

13yroldcomputerguru
23-08-2009, 06:48 PM
((("Also apparently there's going to be a "Family pack" which will cost ~$150-$200 (NZD) which allows for installation / upgrade of 3x machines! Will only be the Home Premium though..."))) (Chilling_Silence)

Can't You Put Windows On As Many PC's As You Want? I've Put Windows 95,98,ME,XP etc on many computers. its not illeagal?

pcuser42
23-08-2009, 06:59 PM
((("Also apparently there's going to be a "Family pack" which will cost ~$150-$200 (NZD) which allows for installation / upgrade of 3x machines! Will only be the Home Premium though..."))) (Chilling_Silence)

Can't You Put Windows On As Many PC's As You Want? I've Put Windows 95,98,ME,XP etc on many computers. its not illeagal?

Windows 95, 98 and ME (also Windows 2000) have no system in place from stopping you from installing them on more than one computer.

IIRC, for XP, it may let you use the same key for different PCs, but it may be against the forum rules to say how you can do that. :xmouth: To stay legit, only use a volume licensing key to install XP on multiple PCs.

Blam
23-08-2009, 07:31 PM

It is illegal. Assuming you have a retail key.

13yroldcomputerguru
23-08-2009, 07:32 PM
blam6, i like your arrow avatar consitdering its a printer next to me lol

Sweep
23-08-2009, 09:19 PM
blam6, i like your arrow avatar consitdering its a printer next to me lol

Hmmmm....

Enough said.

Agent_24
24-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Pirate first, buy the DVD later :lol:

You get your software quick, they get their money