PDA

View Full Version : Dell Desktop Won't start

REDALERT3COMMANDO
01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi I have a dell dimension computer that when you plug into power supply and turn on the computer will just turn on. Although the power button led doesn't light up. Looking at the back of the computer you can see that the power led on the modem lights up. This is an old computer that I am planning to put xp on and run xlink kai on it for my perfectly er unmodded 500gb xbox. I am guessing a motherboard failure? As everything in the computer just turns on when connected to power. E.g the hdd spins the modem turns on ethernet card but not the cd drive which we were having problems with before this happened. I.E. nothing happened with it. Am hoping for a quick fix so please! post a simple fix if possible!

Blam
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi I have a dell dimension computer that when you plug into power supply and turn on the computer will just turn on.

Eh?

So what is the problem exactly?

wainuitech
01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
As long as the PC actually starts up and runs normally - I Have seen this a couple of times with Dells .

Normally fixed by once the PC is fully up and running, closing down as per normal.

Crashes for some reason seem to make the PC start right away when the Power is plugged into the PSU.

If it wont boot fully - then try another PSU.

If it wont boot to running,could be a board failure or sometimes by stripping out all the components, blowing out all the dust and crap, rebuilding gets it running again.

Am hoping for a quick fix so please! post a simple fix if possible! Open window - throw outside -- problem gone :D

REDALERT3COMMANDO
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Well the quick fix sure did sound good. But I will try removing the hardware cleaning and replacing when I get some spare time. I plugged into monitor but no video came through. I guess you mean power supply unit or something when you say psu. Cheers

gary67
01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Yep PSU= power supply unit