PDA

View Full Version : "Ghost" wireless access points

argus
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Ever since I have had this laptop (Toshiba 4-5 year old w built-in Intel Centrino wireless) I have had one or two entries show up on "view available wireless access points" even when the wireless card/chip is turned off.

At first the ghost AP said "Home", then a year or two later it changed to "Panasonic Display1". Now for the past few months, both show up.

Attempts to connect to either access point invariably fail, even when the signal quality shows as "Excellet" (it ranges between that and "No Signal").

Is this normal? What's being picked up here and how do I turn it off?

argus
04-08-2009, 05:52 AM
Well this ism interesting - and a little worrying. This is the first comment I;ve EVER posted here that has not had a reply in the first day.

Does no-one know what's going on here? Or is it the answer too staggeringly obvious and the question so dumb that no-one's bothering to answer?

gary67
04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
How many wireless networks is the machine picking up? I take it this isn't your own wireless network then, if it is someone else's then it seems they must rename their network often. Why it still shows when the wireless card is turned off I don't know unless it is set to discover networks when you turn the computer on

Blam
04-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Faulty Wireless Drivers?

somebody
04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Well this ism interesting - and a little worrying. This is the first comment I;ve EVER posted here that has not had a reply in the first day.

Does no-one know what's going on here? Or is it the answer too staggeringly obvious and the question so dumb that no-one's bothering to answer?

I think you've stumped us.

argus
04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
How many wireless networks is the machine picking up? I take it this isn't your own wireless network then, if it is someone else's then it seems they must rename their network often.

The number of networks in the vicinty varies: right now (with the wireless card turned on) there's my own local network, six other secured networks and the "Home" and "Panasonic Display" connections, which are both captioned "unsercured computer-to-computer network".

I turn off the wireless card and refresh network list and only those last two show up.

Why it still shows when the wireless card is turned off I don't know unless it is set to discover networks when you turn the computer on

Where are those settings, so I can check how it's set? Windows XP Professional + SP3.

Thanks for your help.

argus
04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
BTW, the only other wireless access point that's under my control is a receiver for a wireless keyboard & mouse, which is connected to my adjacent desktop PC. But I unplugged that and the two "ghost" connections still show up on my laptop screen.

wainuitech
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
The "unsercured computer-to-computer network" could be ad-hoc networks around the place - hence you not being able to connect to them.

OR the top reply as described in This article (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060725050041AAG2y3y).

Edited: I would say at a guess that its ad Hoc networks you are seeing - have a read of This article (http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/edtech/presenter/doc/adhoc.html) and it describes the names as you see them "unsercured computer-to-computer network"

Blam
04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
The "unsercured computer-to-computer network" could be ad-hoc networks around the place - hence you not being able to connect to them.

OR the top reply as described in This article (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060725050041AAG2y3y).

Edited: I would say at a guess that its ad Hoc networks you are seeing - have a read of This article (http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/edtech/presenter/doc/adhoc.html) and it describes the names as you see them "unsercured computer-to-computer network"

Yes...but the computer shouldn't be able to see ANY networks with the wireless turned off!

wainuitech
04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
This looks the making a mountain out of a molehill --

My wireless picks up " strange " networks all the time - many you cant connect to.

As long as your own network is secure and you can connect to it OK - whats the problem.

Why the networks are showing when not turned on - who knows - once again - why worry - not doing any harm.

To repeat - "unsecured computer-to-computer network" -as per the link posted above is exactly the message I also Got when I made a Ad-hoc network. Then I Made it secure (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Network1249375641.jpg) -- and look at the wording. look at the signal strength as well ( test) but of course it cant be connected to from that laptop - you cant connect to yourself.

Have a look at the page I linked above as to how to setup the Ad -hoc, Second picture where it shows the add button, look at the networks listed ( preferred Networks) - your " ghosts" may be sitting in there, remove everything thats not your known Network - When I looked at my list :blush: There were 18 other networks I had connected to in the past.

Back to the first point -- If its not affecting your own secure wireless why worry.

argus
08-08-2009, 05:49 AM
If it's not affecting your own secure wireless why worry.

Not necessarily worried; just curious.

There is a nagging doubt, I suppose, that

(1) whatever security I put in place - currently WPA with MAC filtering - there will be someone out there who will find a way through; and

(2) as mentioned above, the fact that these access points still show up when the wireless card is turned off. That suggest that whoever is doing this (if it is a third party up to no good) has found a way of keeping the wireless card operational for their own access points when I think it's turned off; and that suggests they are very knowledgeable (enough to find a way through any faulty setup in my security: See 1).

This started as curiosity (with the assumption that there was a simple answer implying no attempt to gain access to my wireless network) but more I think about it and read the answers (and the puzzlement) here, the more I worried I get :-)

Blam
08-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Not necessarily worried; just curious.

There is a nagging doubt, I suppose, that

(1) whatever security I put in place - currently WPA with MAC filtering - there will be someone out there who will find a way through; and

(2) as mentioned above, the fact that these access points still show up when the wireless card is turned off. That suggest that whoever is doing this (if it is a third party up to no good) has found a way of keeping the wireless card operational for their own access points when I think it's turned off; and that suggests they are very knowledgeable (enough to find a way through any faulty setup in my security: See 1).

This started as curiosity (with the assumption that there was a simple answer implying no attempt to gain access to my wireless network) but more I think about it and read the answers (and the puzzlement) here, the more I worried I get :-)

I very highly doubt it. If a wireless card is physically turned off, you cannot remotely turn it on!

What happens when you enter device manager, then disable or uninstall the wireless card?