PDA

View Full Version : Car - installing roof racks

Nomad
31-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi, a car that does not even have rack rails, is it possible to install racks? Does this require drilling and how sure would water not leak into the car?

Thanks. :)

feersumendjinn
01-08-2009, 12:13 AM
What brand/model car?
Even vehicles without obvious fixing points can take racks designed for them (without drilling), the manufacturers or dealers are the first guys to ask.
Older vehicles with rain channels above the door apertures are the easiest to cater for.
Some of your later cars have hidden fixing points under sliding or removable pieces in the joins between the sideframes (where the doors mount) and the roof.
Still others can mount racks with brackets going between the door and the roof and under the door seals (though not that successful usually).

Nomad
01-08-2009, 12:22 AM
The whole roof is blue metal like the body of the car, no plastic things at all. There is not even 2 strips of black rails there.

2001 Audi A4. 4Dr Sedan.

Nomad
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
It might appear that I need to go the method just above the door clip on ...

feersumendjinn
01-08-2009, 12:51 AM
http://www.roof-rack-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/selector_roof_racks.cgi?man=Audi&make=A4/S4%204dr%2001-
They appear to sit on rubber pads on the roof and hook under the rain channels (or chrome garnishes) above the doors :), so is definitely possible (you'll need to ask around, go to dealers, or google for them here though, assuming you're in NZ).

KenESmith
01-08-2009, 04:47 AM
The motor manufacturer goes to a lot of expense and effort to design an aerodynamically clean car with the lowest possible coefficient of drag, and then along comes the owner and fits what is effectively a high drag air brake to the roof.

Watch what a roof rack does to your fuel economy.

If you must fit one there are several models available that rely on tension clips to the top edge of the door openings; they do have a somewhat limited max weight capacity, but when one takes into account the additional drag and the effect of weight on the roof to the cars handling, do you really want to carry any real weight on the roof.

Nomad
01-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I will have a look at the car, yes in NZ, to carry ski's/

R2x1
01-08-2009, 11:25 AM
The motor manufacturer goes to a lot of expense and effort to design an aerodynamically clean car with the lowest possible coefficient of drag, and then along comes the owner and fits what is effectively a high drag air brake to the roof.

Watch what a roof rack does to your fuel economy.

Couldn't agree more.
I fitted a fuel flow gauge to my station wagon and almost died of fright the first time I drove down the motorway without the roof rack and two ladders up top.
That rooftop brake was costing me about 8 miles to the gallon, which if you are using it as an example for NCEA credits is a lotta bucks.

Nomad
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Being cheap I may just push the rear seats down and put the ski's inside. Cheap too :D

It looks like the rack would need to be clipped on between the door frame and the roof (the above link). It is a chome liner, it is not a rain channel.

R2x1
02-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Fit the luggage rack under the car - keeps the sun and rain off the skis, also bird droppings. It would be easier to go through a car-wash with the rack loaded too ;)