PDA

View Full Version : Yet another PC with boot issues!

Nictech
31-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey guys.
Went to power on my old pentium 4 PC tonight & the CPU & PSU fans start spinning & there is no beeps....at all. The red light on the front (which if I remember correctly is the HDD busy light) just stays on.

Possible HDD fault you think?

Blam
31-07-2009, 10:10 PM
So nothing on the screen?

Doubt its a HD problem. Even if its damaged/dead the PC should still post.

Try pulling out the battery and sticking it in again.

Or this may just be a dead PSU/mobo

Blam

Nictech
31-07-2009, 11:25 PM
There is nothing coming up on screen, either the LCD or CRT I plugged in.
The PSU looks good, it's powering things up, but true, maybe not enough juice coming out of it. I hope the mobo isn't dead.........I might try stealing a PSU from work, see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?

wainuitech
31-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Stating the obvious :D When the red light ( HDD light) comes on solid, its the Drive trying to read, but something is stopping it.

Disconnect the drive, boot the PC, it "should" beep with errors indicating no HDD.

If it doesn't, remove the memory completely and hit the power button - this also should beep like crazy.( which is what you want to hear)

If none of the above creates beeps, then its possible the Board is faulty.

Look on the Board - see if it has a CMOS reset jumper, if it does, reset the BIOS. ( usually close to the CMOS battery) 3 pins with a jumper connecting two. If the jumper is on pins 1& 2 move it to pins 2&3, leave a few seconds, then put it back how it was.

While its also possible the PSU is not giving out enough power, this is not usually the case - indicated by the HDD light on solid, meaning its trying to fire up , but there could be a problem with the board & HDD connecting.

If nothing is on the screen the signal is not going through - once again mother Board usually.

Nictech
01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Wainui, will try your suggestions when I get home after 11:30pm. Will let you know :)