PDA

View Full Version : PC Build Suggestions

legod
31-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi - it's been a few years since I built my current pc and I want to build a new system but I'm not really knowledgeable about the current hardware on offer.
I need help particularly with choosing motherboard and CPU combination and a case to go with it.
No particular budget in mind but don't want to go overboard.

Not really that interested in gaming (other than MS flight sim)
Must have freeview HD video.
Want a powerful enough system to record freeview HD.
Sound not that crucial as I like to use headphones.
Occasional video editing
Blu-ray drive
Windows 7

Any suggestions welcomed.

cheers

pctek
31-07-2009, 08:08 PM
You don't need power to record Freeview.

Which version of MS Flight Sim? The latest? In which case you'll need a Core i7 CPU and the best graphics card you can get.

If the Flight Sim isn't a priority or it's an older version then choose the CPU according to budget.

Dual Core is cheaper than Quad Core.

Any ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard unless you want special features on it?

Case is a personal choice, it's a matter of what you like - BUT the power supply does matter.
Stick with Antec, Enermax or Corsair.
IF you get a massively grunty graphics card you'll need a fairly high end one, 750w or more, if you don't then you get away with less, but quality matters.

Again with the case, if you get a huge graphics card, you'll need one roomy enough for it to fit, otherwise whatever case takes your fancy.

Make sure it does have at least 2 case fans though, for cooling.

Blam
31-07-2009, 08:57 PM
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=3

You'd want something like that. But with a much bigger PSU, around 650w at least.

As for a TV tuner, do you want it with 1,2,3 or 4 tuners? All DVB-T, or some DVB-S and analogue?

Freeview decoding does not require a very grunty CPU. I have a P4 that can do it!

Dual core should be enough for your needs, but the above system would last you a while, and shoudl you decide to upgrade you could grab another 4870.

Its also very overclockable, espec. with that cooler.

Blam

CYaBro
31-07-2009, 09:15 PM
You do need a pretty decent CPU & graphics card to watch Freeview|HD.
Freeview via Satellite doesn't though.
Any of the Core 2 Duo range will do it plus a graphics card that supports h.264 hardware decoding.
ATI have apparently sorted their issues they had decoding the interlaced Freeview|HD channels so you should be fine with ATI or Nvidia now.