PDA

View Full Version : DVD-Writer slow read

qazwsxokmijn
30-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I've installed Vista a few times now on my own PC using my Pioneer DVD-Writer that has a reading speed of 16x for DVDs. It takes the damn thing a minute or two to even load the setup menu to install Vista, and though I've never timed it, it took me considerably longer than when I installed Vista (using the same disc) on a friend's PC. And on his PC it took only a few seconds for Vista's setup menu to load.

Any idea why this is? It's a SATA DVD-Writer....shouldn't it be fast?

gary67
30-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Your friends probably has a faster read speed

qazwsxokmijn
30-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Hmmm that didn't occur to me.....but isn't 16x already as fast as it could be for reading?

wainuitech
30-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Thats what its "Meant" to be able to read, but many times they dont.

Never Seen my own DVD drives, read / Write at the full speed they are advertised yet.

qazwsxokmijn
30-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Any of you guys willing to see how long until Vista's setup screen loads?

It's just when the Vista screen first shows up, till the setup menu appears when you boot from the DVD.

Blam
30-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Had a similar problem with Windows 7 DVD. On this machine which is quite fast it takes 5mins just to display the set up screen...while on a slower laptop its only about 40 seconds.

But when I load the Vista DVD onto this desktop its fast.

No idea why.

Mysteries of life eh?

qazwsxokmijn
30-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Man that is a mystery then.....

Blam
30-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I suspect it could be some sort of compatibility thing?

wainuitech
30-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Any of you guys willing to see how long until Vista's setup screen loads?

It's just when the Vista screen first shows up, till the setup menu appears when you boot from the DVD.

If you mean when installing for the first time -- on an Existing Workshop PC, currently has XP Pro.

Started PC with Vista DVD in Drive.

From " press any key to Boot from CD/DVD" - both Vista and W7 started loading files 1-2 seconds.

Untill you get the first screen you can click - location, etc.

vista 1 Min + 50 Seconds

W7 1 Min + 25 Seconds.

The drive is an Asus DRW-24B1LT DVD Writer.

qazwsxokmijn
30-07-2009, 09:52 PM
If you mean when installing for the first time -- on an Existing Workshop PC, currently has XP Pro.

Started PC with Vista DVD in Drive.

From " press any key to Boot from CD/DVD" - both Vista and W7 started loading files 1-2 seconds.

Untill you get the first screen you can click - location, etc.

vista 1 Min + 50 Seconds

W7 1 Min + 25 Seconds.

The drive is an Asus DRW-24B1LT DVD Writer.
Sweet, that sounds like me. Just to make it clear - Vista screen first shows up; 1 min 50 secs; then you can click location etc, right?

I wonder why it's much faster on some machines?

wainuitech
30-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Sweet, that sounds like me. Just to make it clear - Vista screen first shows up; 1 min 50 secs; then you can click location etc, right?

I wonder why it's much faster on some machines?

:thumbs: Correct. May be the components in the PC --

That workshop PC is a P4 3.0 with 1.5GB Ram.

The windows I'm referring to @ 1.50 & 1.25 Step 2 Here (http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_vista/install_windows_vista.htm)

qazwsxokmijn
30-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Well....I have a quad core at 2.66GHz (I always scale back to stock when installing Windows, just in case) and 4GB RAM. While my friend had a measly dual core at 1.86GHz with 4GB RAM (it's a lappy).

Cheers WT. :)

*Sparky*
31-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Hmmm. Sounds like a problem I have been musing over.
A year ago when I was in Manilla, I bought a new Samsung SATA dvd writer. Bought it back home, went to plug it into my desktop and realised I should have an IDE. Found an IDE - Sata converter, plugged it in and away it went.
However, when I put a cd or dvd in, the little green working light goes for about 5 seconds, then the red hard drive working light starts up and goes continuously for maybe 20 minutes before it shows anything on the screen.
I have two hard drives. Vista on one, XP the other. If I bootup in XP the dvd drive goes as expected, very fast and no waiting time. Its only the Vista one that causes probs. I was thinking of buying another unit and getting an IDE, but why should this one go ok in XP. Makes me wonder if its Vista causing the problem and not the IDE - Sata thingy.
Anyone experienced this type of prob, or have any suggestions.
Cheers guys n girls.