PDA

View Full Version : Why do VGA cables screw in?

Chilling_Silence
30-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Its always bugged me, whats the point ?

Seriously USB doesnt, PS/2 doesn't, Serial ports don't, HDD cables don't ... LAN cables "clip" in place, but whats the point in having the ability to screw in a monitor?

Personally I never do, but it bugs me when some people do them up *so* tight and they kinda get stuck there ...

</rant>

But anyways, I'm curious, why do VGA / DVI cables screw in? Even HDMI doesnt have that option?

Chill.

SolMiester
30-07-2009, 02:23 PM
The pins a bit more sensitive than all of the others you have listed.....that may get disassembled...

Gobe1
30-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Probably inherited from the old days too. Maybe power surge problems if you pull them out and put them in with the monitor on????

wratterus
30-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Hear hear. I never use the screw in pins on them anyway. IMO it's more likely to get damaged from people trying to pull them out with the plug still screwed in, seen a few people walk in with the entire VGA assembly attached to their monitor cable that they had ripped off the motherboard...no joke.

A new graphics card later, they are all up and running again. Seen that...probably 5 or 6 times now. Just had another one today.

Seems pointless, there is no power surge or anything from plugging and unplugging a VGA cable when it's running. May the day soon come when everyone uses HDMI cables. :p

PCT Joe
30-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, im useing a VGA LCD montior(not screwed it), but i have the option for dvi and hdmi. Im waiting to get a 22" widescreen...

pctek
30-07-2009, 03:28 PM
So confused people who don't know its screwed in and pull really hard and rip the connector off the card or motherboard.

(had that happen with a customer)

CYaBro
30-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I think it is because the plug itself is a lot heavier than say a USB plug or PS/2.
Serial ports and parallel ports do screw in.
I do use them but only just to hold the plug in.

sammo450
30-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah the cables are stiff and heavy, so can tend to pull itself out.

CYaBro
30-07-2009, 04:09 PM
So confused people who don't know its screwed in and pull really hard and rip the connector off the card or motherboard.

(had that happen with a customer)

Yea had that before too.
Someone brought a machine for repair and they had just pulled so hard on the VGA cable that it had ripped the VGA socket off the mainboard!

JJJJJ
30-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Back in the 386/486 days all the cables entering the back of the computer were screwed in except the power cable.
Even then with my limited knowledge it seemed to me the only one that needed screwing was the power cable

Erayd
30-07-2009, 06:50 PM
They screw in because that was the old standard. It was the standard because old connections were big and heavy, and needed the screws to stop things falling out, e.g. 25pin serial, parallel, external SCSI, various old networking standards etc. It's only in relatively recent years that connectors have become small and light enough not to bother with screws to keep them secure.

pctek
30-07-2009, 06:59 PM
because old connections were big and heavy, and needed the screws to stop things falling out, e.g. 25pin serial, parallel, .

Rubbish. I've never screwed in anything, monitors nor parallel printers.
Never had a plug fall out either.

Erayd
30-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Rubbish. I've never screwed in anything, monitors nor parallel printers.
Never had a plug fall out either.
Rubbish for you, but trust me this was pretty common. Your personal experience is not the bible for everybody else.

CYaBro
30-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Rubbish for you, but trust me this was pretty common. Your personal experience is not the bible for everybody else.

Yea, I have been to plenty of places where something wasn't working and all that was needed was to plug the cable back in correctly.
I would then use the screws and secure it so that it wouldn't happen again.

zqwerty
30-07-2009, 09:35 PM
pctek is very experienced, I believe her.

beeswax34
30-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I know this sounds weird but I quite enjoy attaching and taking off VGA cables using the pins and screws :p

bob_doe_nz
30-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I know this sounds weird but I quite enjoy attaching and taking off VGA cables using the pins and screws :p

You love giving things a good screwing eh? Nothing like shoving pins in and out of their ports.

gary67
31-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Well you said it, it is weird :thumbs:

Myth
31-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Rubbish for you, but trust me this was pretty common. Your personal experience is not the bible for everybody else.Remember pctek is fem... and when a fem says something to a male, it IS bible :p

Well, until she leaves the room anyway :lol:

Erayd
31-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Remember pctek is fem... and when a fem says something to a male, it IS bible :p

Well, until she leaves the room anyway :lol:
I thought this only applies if SWMBO says it, or if SWMBO tells me I should accept it as gospel, or vaguely hints that her views might be aligned along similar lines, or gives me a look...

Trev
31-07-2009, 09:47 AM
They screw in because that was the old standard. It was the standard because old connections were big and heavy, and needed the screws to stop things falling out, e.g. 25pin serial, parallel, external SCSI, various old networking standards etc. It's only in relatively recent years that connectors have become small and light enough not to bother with screws to keep them secure.
Yep, have to agree with Erayd here. Been playing around with computers since the mid 80s.
:)

sammo450
31-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Yep definitely agree with Erayd. Also, modern plugs such as USB and HDMI have very deep sockets with a latching dimple system so they only come out when pulled parallel to the plug.

beeswax34
31-07-2009, 02:31 PM
You love giving things a good screwing eh? Nothing like shoving pins in and out of their ports.

Love screwing things, pins and ports or not :p:thumbs::thumbs:

Vecaren
31-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Stops it from coming out because it's idiot protection. Help desk invented it I assume.

Terry Porritt
31-07-2009, 06:42 PM
These connector types pre-date personal computers by about 30 years, in the 1950s.

Does not the name 'Cannon' ring a bell with anyone ? No, not the Jap printer manufacturer :groan:

They were used for industrial electronics and military applications, MIL STD 24308, and of course the screws are there to prevent accidental disconnection.

Whether you choose to use them is individual choice, but it is foolish not to.

heni72847
02-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I remember hearing a school admin talking about how he screws vga in tightly with a screwdriver... so the kids can't pull them out because they simply can't unscrew them by hand!

Trev
02-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I was told by a comp. tech. in the late 80s the idea of the screws was to make a good earth contact.

whellington
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Should make screws on ps/2 ports, keyboard con starting to get loose

Erayd
02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I was told by a comp. tech. in the late 80s the idea of the screws was to make a good earth contact.
They certainly help, but that isn't the point - that's what ground pins and / or sheath contacts are for.

Renmoo
02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Love screwing things, pins and ports or not :p:thumbs::thumbs:
Uhm...... :o