PDA

View Full Version : XP image folder

kjaada
30-07-2009, 11:02 AM
The people who installed XP pro on my box have an image folder on the desktop.
I now want to install a 2nd copy of XP for my partner so she does not stuff mine up.My query is:Can I install this image on another partition on my box?
And if so how???

wainuitech
30-07-2009, 11:41 AM
If you wanted to install a new OS in the same HDD, first you would need to partition the HDD into two (Or install a second HDD), install the Second OS in the New partition, you would then have a dual boot arrangement, you boot into Your OS, and your partner boots into the other.

The Image of the OS - Depending on how the Image is will depend on how it is installed. Meaning, is it a ( For example) Acronis.tib file - ISO File, ?????

The other way of course is to simply clone your original HDD to the Second HDD/Partition, then manually set up Dual Boot, remove any items that you dont want your partner to have from their OS - and away it goes.

PS: you can use the same product key as you have for all software ( as long as its on the Same Box) because the hardware is the same.

Edited: to partition the drive you can use something like Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) - then when you install the OS, make sure when you have the options to select the drive, you get the correct blank drive.

That leads back to the image file(folder) needing to know how its presented. Cloning the drive would be easier to a second partition.

Blam
30-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Why not make a new user account for her with limited privileges?

wainuitech
30-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Why not make a new user account for her with limited privileges?In theory that works - in Reality it doesn't - a OS can still get infected (seen that hundreds of times, with different accounts - even on limited accounts) - the OS / Programs can still be stuffed.

Blam
30-07-2009, 12:27 PM
In theory that works - in Reality it doesn't - a OS can still get infected (seen that hundreds of times, with different accounts - even on limited accounts) - the OS / Programs can still be stuffed.

Yes, but as long as the OPs partner doesn't do anything to dodgy it should be fine.

Usually the ones that spread even from a limited user account are quite malicious and difficult to remove-Although if you think about it, even if the OP imaged it to a seperate partition, it could still infect and spread to it..