PDA

View Full Version : How can I ID which version of Visual Studio I have?

braindead
30-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Microsoft have just published security fixes for the Visual Studio vulnerability in various OS. My OS is XP SP3.

How can I identify the version of Visual Studio on my system so I can install the correct fix for it? The security bulletin wasn't much help with this part.

Thanks and appreciation!

maco101
30-07-2009, 11:52 AM
in the help manu just try going into the the about menu item

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Or go to the WU site, or if the shield appears on the taskbar, see what that says

braindead
30-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Ok. It sounds like Visual Studio is not a prog that's installed by default with XP or the service packs. If that's the case, I probably don't have it on my system. I did a system search for VS before posting here but it only threw up a few odd files named Visual Studio...xyz. Nothing that pointed to a larger .exe file. So maybe I don't need the fixes?

Not sure what apps use VS.

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2009, 12:19 PM
If MS Visual C++ 2005 or 2008 redist package appears in add/remove programs (for some programs), it should bring up the updates. I dont use VS (the full version), but I do use programs that use it. I think the ATI drivers installed 2005

Erayd
30-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Ok. It sounds like Visual Studio is not a prog that's installed by default with XP or the service packs. If that's the case, I probably don't have it on my system. I did a system search for VS before posting here but it only threw up a few odd files named Visual Studio...xyz. Nothing that pointed to a larger .exe file. So maybe I don't need the fixes?

Not sure what apps use VS.If you don't know what it is, then it's highly unlikely you have it.

Visual Studio is a software development IDE, and you have to explicitly install it - it doesn't come with Windows.

braindead
30-07-2009, 12:27 PM
So simple, so speedy :)

Looks like I don't have to worry about this issue.

Thanks all!!