PDA

View Full Version : Wireless networking and adsl sharing

Greg
30-07-2009, 05:36 AM
My laptop is about 25 metres (in the sleepout) from where my brother's computer is in the main house.

Is that distance too far for us to share my adsl connection via wireless network?

Also, if this is possible, what would the affect be on download speeds if we were using the Internet at the same time?

Thanks.

Strommer
30-07-2009, 07:45 AM
My epitaph: Here lies Greg. Loved by many girls, yet hated by them all. I'm sure they're the cause of my woeful fall.

Sorry for the digression Greg but thought you would find this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Women_of_the_World_Pie_Chart.jpg) :lol: relevant to your signature. :lol:
Now I just hope you see it before Jen, and that she has a sense of humour. :p

Back to the topic. As you may know, I am presently setting up wireless for the first time. Once it is up and running I'd like to test the range so will take the laptop out to the garage. From what I have read, some routers can handle 25 meters but I suppose it will depend on the type of exterior walls and other factors. I look forward to seeing actual results from PF1 experience rather than theoretical specs from a manufacturer.

Chilling_Silence
30-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Download speeds will be the same, as ADSL is the bottleneck there :)

25m is generally fine, depending on whats in the way between them.. As Steve_L mentioned, check out his thread :D

Strommer
30-07-2009, 08:00 AM
As Steve_L mentioned, check out his thread :D

Good morning Chill :)

Looks like tftp is ok without having to add a tftp client, so away I go.... stay tuned...:nerd:

Blam
30-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Should be fine as Chill said.

No ADSL2+ in your area yet?:(

John H
30-07-2009, 05:46 PM
My laptop is about 25 metres (in the sleepout) from where my brother's computer is in the main house.

Is that distance too far for us to share my adsl connection via wireless network?
(snip)

My office is a Skyline external building further away from the computer in the house than 25 metres, and the house computer successfully shares my adsl modem in the office via a wireless connection.

To achieve the connection I had to erect an external aerial on the office verandah - the tin cladding on the office was an effective blockage to the signal, but now it is fine. I can connect to the wifi network via my laptop in the front bedroom of the house - the opposite end of the long axis of the house, which must be about 80 yards from the office aerial.