PDA

View Full Version : Software resetting in windows xp

Adge
29-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi guys, I'm really hoping that someone out there can help me! I bought an Asus Eee Box a couple of weeks ago to act as a file server and do basic media streaming. Anyway, recently I had to use system restore on it, and since then it's been acting very strangely:
- the quicklaunch bar on the start bar has disappeared and won't come back
- a number of programs reset their settings each time I load up.

Specifically, utorrent clears its download list and acts like I've just installed it, firefox asks to import settings from IE and acts like it's running for the first time, and iTunes asks me to import stuff. I have already set up ALL of these programs (several times).

Very weird

I've run anti-malware software, I've run an anti-virus scan, and run chkdsk - none of them suggest anything is wrong. Normally I'd just reinstall windows, but the eee box doesn't have a DVD drive ... Making the whole process a lot harder (I don't have an external drive).

One other weird thing - the pc comes with a bootloader that you are supposed to see for a few secs before windows loads. It was there to begin with, but seems to have gone now!

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Can I try and send it to the manufacturer (given it is so new), or am I stuck with a reinstall?

Blam
29-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a corrupt profile.
Make a new one and see what happens.

Then delete your current one, or move the stuff over by logging into another account(such as administrator) then going right click my computer>properties>advanced>user profiles and settings.

Try sfc /scannow

If it asks for an XP CD, then grab one, make an iso out of it and transfer it to the eee and mount with daemon tools.

Are you sure its the bootloader thats missing?

In msconfig you can configure the bootloader time out times etc, that just may have been modified.

Blam

Adge
29-07-2009, 10:41 PM
cheers for the quick response!

Actually, I don't think bootloader is the correct term. ExpressGate - that's it ... it's a version of Linux which comes up when the PC is booted, and you can choose to either load quick programs in there, or boot to Windows.

Thanks for the advice about the profile -I will give that a go.

I should also mention - the problem with the Quicklaunch bar brings up the error "Cannot Create Toolbar" when I right-click on the start bar and try to activate it. I've googled the problem and run the suggested fixes, with no luck.

Blam
29-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Ah express gate?

You may need to reinstall it by downloading the latest version online!

Adge
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I should add for the record that Blam's solution worked perfectly - thanks heaps!

Blam
06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Cool:)

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Expressgate is ASUS software. Not linux. This can be disabled in the BIOS, if you dont use it