PDA

View Full Version : Pound Sterling symbol on Sony Vaio laptop

puma
29-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I have a Sony Vaio laptop using Windows Vista and cannot figure out how to type a pound sterling sign in email directly from the keyboard - I have to use charmap and copy and paste - to save you time ALT+0163 does not work, nor is there a pound sterling symbol on the keyboard - can anyone help? thanks.

gary67
29-07-2009, 07:46 AM
If you change you keyboard language from control panel to English and NOT American English it would then be above no2 key and the @ symbol would move to the key next to the enter key I think from memory. Been a while since I used an English keyboard

puma
29-07-2009, 08:35 AM
thanks - tried it - changed language and keyboard to English UK - it did not work.

beeswax34
29-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Works for me when I go and copy it from character map

puma
29-07-2009, 02:43 PM
thanks - I did note in my opening that I copy and paste using charmap - but there must surely be a direct way to do it from the keyboard

minster
29-07-2009, 02:59 PM
If you mean this character: then press down and release the Num Lock key located in the upper left part of the number pad on the right side of your keyboard.Then hold down the Alt key and type 156 using that number pad. (works with XP anyways)
Thanks Mr Google:)

rustyreggae
29-07-2009, 04:17 PM
An easy permanent solution is to:

Open a new email, select 'Insert' then the 'Symbol' tab
Search for and select the sign
Select the 'Shortcut Key' button
Now select the 'New Shortcut Key' button and choose your desired shortcut (I chose ctrl 4 as it's where the $ is now)
Then select Assign
This should now work for any future emails (will not work when entering text into a webpage however)

puma
29-07-2009, 05:09 PM
If you mean this character: then press down and release the Num Lock key located in the upper left part of the number pad on the right side of your keyboard.Then hold down the Alt key and type 156 using that number pad. (works with XP anyways)

thanks - but does not work on my laptop

puma
29-07-2009, 05:12 PM
An easy permanent solution is to:

Open a new email, select 'Insert' then the 'Symbol' tab
Search for and select the sign
Select the 'Shortcut Key' button
Now select the 'New Shortcut Key' button and choose your desired shortcut (I chose ctrl 4 as it's where the $ is now)
Then select Assign
This should now work for any future emails (will not work when entering text into a webpage however)

thanks - but no 'insert' command in Yahoo mail

gary67
29-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Works on my desktop but only using the number pad not the keys along the top

Poppa John
30-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks for that, works for me. So what is the version for the euro? PJ

minster
30-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for that, works for me. So what is the version for the euro? PJ

CTRL + Alt + E press altogether (Works for me on XP)

Poppa John
30-07-2009, 12:51 PM
CTRL + Alt + E press altogether (Works for me on XP)

Not for me, why. PJ

minster
30-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Not for me, why. PJ

Ask Mr Google Thats all I do:)

Cicero
30-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Mr Google seems to know a lot.

Poppa John
30-07-2009, 01:05 PM

AS above but 0128 PJ

rustyreggae
30-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Check out this site for all the Alt character codes

http://usefulshortcuts.com/downloads/ALT-Codes.pdf

Robin S_
03-08-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd like to put my 's worth in. I am typing this on my wife's Vaio (Win XP) and on this I can type any time by pressing the Numlock key to set Numlock on then holding down an Alt key and typing 0163 on the "Number pad" ie using the numbers as labelled on the bevelled front faces of the M, J, O and L keys respectively. I have tested this combination on this computer in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Eudora client and this post and it worked in each case. - I did this one similarly using Alt + 156 but haven't tested it in other apps. My understanding has always been that the number part of the combination required an initial 0 but this is obviously not so. Alt+0163 works in Win 98 (and also 95 I think) so it is not XP-specific.
FYI I think you will find in Word (and probably all the others) that the actual appearance of the symbol will vary according to the currently-selected font. In most, for instance, there is only a single crossbar in the middle.
PJ - for the Euro use Alt + 0128 - voila .
Rustyreggae - thanks for that link. I have a number of those codes but nowhere near that many!
HTH.

gary67
03-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Yeah I printed that list off useful already