PDA

View Full Version : IE8, Accelerators and SBS2003 GPO

FAB
28-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Afternoon all

Long time no post! But have an issue I just can't resolve and need some help.

I am at an organisation that's running SBS2003 and I am looking at deploying IE8. I have setup the custom install package, and it wasn't until after a lot of trial and error I found out that IEAK for IE8 has a bug that doesn't allow you to install the accelerators on the machine you are setting up the package on. It looks like it works but doesn't, some issue with parsing apparently.

No problem I thought, I'll just do it through GPO.

However the GPO is not helping at all in this department. I have the IE8 ADM installed, and I can see the options of enabling default and non-defualt accelerators, but there is no indication of the format or syntax that is required to deploy them. There is just an "add" button and not much else!

There is no help available for this, and I've searched high and low and only found people with the same issue - how do you deply IE8 accelerators via GPO?

I've tried a simple path to the DC pointing to an XML file for an accelerator but it doesn't work after forcing a GP update. I am using the "Use Policy Accelerators" option in GPO and this works fine on or off, I just can't see what the policy is looking for under "deploy non default accelerators' to get it working.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

FAB
28-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Answered this myself and mucking about with it for a few days.
I tried all sorts of XML files but no go.

So I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Activities on the machine that I wanted to get the accelerators from and went into each key, then opened the key I wanted (e.g. Activites/Map/google.com) to apply via GPO, looked for name "XMLUrl" and copied the link to the GPO under "add" in Accelerators; eg http://www.ieaddons.com/en/DownloadHandler.ashx?ResourceId=740 is the link needed for the Google Maps accelerator. That's all you need!

I wish MS had of mentioned this on their website somewhere, would have saved a lot of headaches...hope this helps someone else.