PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Undetectable

rustyreggae
28-07-2009, 12:34 PM
I have taken the 2.5' hard drive out of my PS3 and put it in an external enclosure and all seemed to work fine for a few weeks. Now for some reason when I plug in the external drive via USB, my pc cannot see the drive in My Computer.

In device manager however, the usb can be located only as a USB mass storage device and is not detected anywhere else. I have tried looking for this drive on XP and Vista with no luck.

Can anyone advise if there is a way of getting this back? Tried a few Partition applications in the hope they might detect it, but still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Blam
28-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Try right clicking it>uninstall in device manager

And also check the drive connections.

rustyreggae
28-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks Blam6, however uninstalling and reinstalling is still ineffective. Seems to install ok and get the usual windows tray notification but still not in My Computer. Hard Drive is definately ok as it's spinning away nicely.

It's soon going to be a flying hard drive!!

Blam
28-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Not in disk management(run>diskmgmt.msc)?

The drive may be almost dead then..

wainuitech
28-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Try booting the PC with a Linux live CD, something like Ubuntu - with the External Drive attached, See if that picks up the drive and if you can see its contents.

If it does, you may need to transfer anything off of it, blow away its partition, and create a new partition / Format it.

Edited: just a thought - try removing the HDD from the Enclosure, and attaching it to a PC directly - the Enclosure may also be faulty.

FAB
28-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I've seen this before, not sure if it's the same issue but had to go into Computer Management and change the drive letter - it was conflicting with something else and wouldn't assign a new letter by itself.

rustyreggae
28-07-2009, 01:35 PM
No, still not in diskmgmt.msc. I hope it's not dead, as I said it's from my PS3 which is not that old. Thanks for the help. Whoooosh, there goes that 60gb frisbie.......

GameJunkie
28-07-2009, 01:36 PM
what if you put it back in the ps3, will it show up there

rustyreggae
28-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey FAB, I am not able to change the drive letter as it's not even being recognised in Computer Management (apart from the USB mass storage device). Perhaps I am not checking it correctly?

Will try the Ubuntu method tonight :) & putting back into the PS3 (now why didn't I think of that!!)