PDA

View Full Version : WHS won't connect

stormdragon
27-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Just setup a Windows Home Server, using the 120 day trial.

I can see it via my network places, but the connector software doesn't seem to be able to find it on its own. I can tell the software the name and it works fine, but once I reboot it can't reconnect.

This happens on both the XP and Vista client I've tried.

Server and clients are all running NOD32 Smart Security Business Edition.

I've tried disabling the firewall on the server, didn't help.

Any ideas on how to get it connecting properly?

:thanks

Blam
27-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Are all PCs on the same workgroup?

stormdragon
27-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Yes, they are all in the same workgroup and can all see each other and the server within the workgroup.

Blam
27-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Download and install this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=71EF4793-5F81-4EF7-8C7D-FE905094AB13&displaylang=en

Then at a command prompt type this.

"%programfiles%\windows home server\toolkit\connectortroubleshooter" -a

See if it finds any errors. Post the log here.

I suspect name resolution issues...

Blam

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 12:22 PM
You need to disable the firewall on all PC's that you are trying to connect. If you don't it wont work.

Just on the server wont do much good.

Its not the server causing the problem its the Local PC ( firewall)-- Seen this many times, even on my own PC's here.

Once it connects, then when the firewall in Eset is enabled, THEN you will get pop up warnings saying <PCname> is attempting to connect -------, allow it through and should work fine from then on.

You will get two warnings at least -
1. the connector software, connecting to the server.
2. The servers backup program warning,the first time the auto backup runs.

stormdragon
27-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Ok disabled firewalls on both as you suggested Wainui (should have thought of that originally :sleep), its now in the process of backuping up one of my clients :sleep.

The troubleshooter tool still comes up with these errors though:

No DNS server or DNS server is not reachable
The version of the connector software does not match the version of WHS
UPnP discovery failed
Name resolution failed
WHS Beacon discovery failed.

Are any of these likely to cause further problems down the track? (The simple blurb with most says the server will use other means).

:thanks

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Only actions that may occur as mentioned --

You will get two warnings at least -
1. the connector software, connecting to the server.
2. The servers backup program warning,the first time the auto backup runs.

Regarding the other Items the trouble shooter listed;

The version of the connector software does not match the version of WHS Once connected and settled down, the two will synchronize, and the correct version will be installed. ( Eset may pop up saying theres a change - allow it)

All the others relate to the UPnP.

Some routers will auto open ports to allow the UPnP , others wont.

Some routers wont even work - just depends on the make/Model of router.

They are all to do with the remote access from another location.

What you need for remote access;

You set a static IP on the server from your LAN, then in the router settings, port forward the following ports to that IP: 80,443,4125. Use TCP ( or ALL depending on the router, Mine has TCP, UDP, All)

What you then do is make up a domain name with MS (its free with WHS) you will need a live ID to sign in with, then you will be guided through the process of setting up the domain name for the server.

Permissions on what ever user accounts you want to allow remote access, as well as strong passwords.

The biggest hurdle is the router managing to port forward correctly to the server.

I wouldn't bother with any of the trouble shooting tools MS supply, they usually get it wrong and any suggestions dont work.

Blam
27-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Are both the clients and the server on the same subnet?

Some routers assign different subnet to LAN and WLAN.

Also, have you tried unplugging the router for a few minutes and plugging it back in?

Blam

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Balm - read the Ops post - the connector is working after turning off the firewalls on the client / workstation (common original setup problem).

The other problems are because of the router is not port forwarding to the server / Internet - seen and had the same problems several times.;)

stormdragon
27-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your help Wainui, will get around to the port forwarding in due time, not a real priority to access the server from offsite at this time.

Blam if the clients and server were on differnet subnets I'd have way more problems! :thumbs:

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 10:26 PM
No Worries, glad its going and able to help.

The first backup always takes the longest, most future ones only take a minute or two, depending on what s changed. Quite often mine here says its backing up, but seems to be taking ages - but its actually waiting for another to finish. Only one PC at a time backs up. Thankfully I only have 4 doing backups.

What I find "odd" is nowhere have I ever found any "official" help documents saying to disable the firewalls when setting up. (mind you I haven't looked that hard either) - thats where experience comes in:D