PDA

View Full Version : Rouge software

rebels181
26-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi I've justed removed antimalwarescannerv9.com from a friends computer which downloaded it self from an overseas news site.
Can anyone tell me how rouge software installs it self, and whats the best way of stopping the software from installing it's self on a computer.
The computer has AVG8, ccleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware at the moment.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Usually rogue software / programs install, because the person installed it, thinking it was something else, and assumes it'll do what it says it'll do.

When in fact, it does nothing, it nags you to pay for it (usually a Pro version to remove whatever), when it fact the Pro version or the program itself dont even exist.

Its like Antivirus Pro 2009 etc. I would say people assume its an AV program ( it isnt). They download it / install it. It gives you false information saying your system is infected (so it''ll suck you into buying it), and it totally useless. it wont do a thing.

Before you install anything (esp if it has anything to do with anti-virus / malware), do a search in google / whatever, to see what it is, what it does, and whether its rogue software, or not

Its like people opening emails with attachments, that have viruses / worms. Instead of deleting it (if they dont know where or who its from), they open it, and get infected.

rebels181
26-07-2009, 12:34 PM
So it can't install by it self then. Who ever is using the computer has to tell it to install.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Yup, usually its the person who installs rogue software. BUT, there are sites (now) that do install malware on your system, without you having to do anything. This may happen, if your system isnt up to date, or something on your system has some kind of vulnerability that hackers / or whoever know about. So they set up some fake site, you go there, you'll get hit by it.

rebels181
26-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure my friend didn't choose to download the software.So what are the best PGM's or Addons to use, I told him about noscript or do you think it won't matter what is used.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Noscript may help (I dont use it).If you dont know what the site is or what programs are there, dont go there / dont download the programs on that site

Just make sure you've got some anti-malware / virus programs installed (Avast/Malwarebytes/Spybot/NOD) etc. So you can remove whatever.

rebels181
26-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for that, Guess it just basic internet safety and keep every thing updated.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2009, 01:17 PM
One of the main things, is to keep windows (if you use it) up to date. And install a decent virus scanner / anti-malware program. And dont go to dodgy sites. And it'll probably be safer (if you dont use P2P programs).

minster
26-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I believe that if you wish to use a computer and you wish to use the internet, that it is safe to assume that one day something will get through!
Your best protection always has to be back ups of everything that is important to you.
And keep these back ups off your main computer.
My two cents:)

mikebartnz
26-07-2009, 05:06 PM
And keep these back ups off your main computer.
My two cents:)
Off site as what use is a backup if it disappears along with your computer in a fire or something.

gary67
26-07-2009, 05:13 PM
If your worried run a separate Firewall such as Comodo or ZA it won't allow anything to install without asking you first

rebels181
26-07-2009, 09:01 PM
If your worried run a separate Firewall such as Comodo or ZA it won't allow anything to install without asking you first

Which is easier to set up and run. My friend won't want to spend alot of time setting up pgm's and doesn't know alot about computers.Turn the computer on. Work on what he wants to do, turn the computer off.
I was thinking about getting a CD so he can try ubuntu.

minster
26-07-2009, 09:15 PM

If you scroll back to post #2 by Speedy,

Yup, usually its the person who installs rogue software. BUT, there are sites (now) that do install malware on your system, without you having to do anything. This may happen, if your system isnt up to date, or something on your system has some kind of vulnerability that hackers / or whoever know about. So they set up some fake site, you go there, you'll get hit by it.

The majority of pc users don't know when to say yes or no to a firewalls request.
Not all nasties appear dressed up as boogie men unfortunately:yuck:

Install a good antivirus, a couple of anti malware programs and keep everything up to date (including windows updates)

And Back up regularly!

If people find this too much to ask, I would say... Keep off the internet entirely...