PDA

View Full Version : AV alternatives

samnorr
25-07-2009, 10:49 PM
AVG Anti-Virus has been really slowing down my PC, to the point where I'm getting tempted to just uninstall it and go without AV protection. My PC is a few years old now, and only has an old AMD 64 3200+ processor - though it does have 2 gigs of RAM and a decent video card (both of which aren't any help for AV scanning though).

If I go to AVG's settings and switch off the Resident Shield, the system speeds up quite noticeably, with most applications loading instantly (instead of there being a delay of like five or sometimes even ten seconds).

I have Windows 7 RC set up to dual-boot with XP, and when I first installed it I was very impressed with how much faster than XP it was - until I installed AVG. Now it seems to lag almost as much as XP, and start up slower as well. If I'm watching TV on Media Center and AVG starts it's scheduled scan, the TV feed starts lagging and skipping, and becomes unwatchable.

So are there any other free AV programs (besides Avast - I have used that previously and it wasn't much better, though probably still a little quicker than AVG) that are light on system resources?

Blam
25-07-2009, 10:56 PM
ClamAV

Or try pandas cloud AV, its VERY light:
http://www.cloudantivirus.com/

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Dont get too stingy with AV programs. Some are total crap, do nothing, wouldnt know what a virus was / is. Detect something think about it, and leave it. And in the end you'll get infected.

samnorr
25-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Dont get too stingy with AV programs. Some are total crap, do nothing, wouldnt know what a virus was / is. Detect something think about it, and leave it. And in the end you'll get infected.

Are you referring to the ones blam6 suggested above? Cloud AV does seem pretty appealing.

I can't even remember the last time a genuine virus found it's way on to my system. The only virus alerts I ever get are almost always false alarms when I'm trying to install something legit, so having an AV program with the best, top-of-the-line detection capabilities doesn't really seem all that necessary to me. Although, like you say, I still wouldn't want one so useless that it couldn't detect anything.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2009, 11:37 PM
I've never used the one Blam posted, so dont know if its good or not. But whatever you install, I would check it out to see how good / bad it is

Blam
26-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Are you referring to the ones blam6 suggested above? Cloud AV does seem pretty appealing.

I can't even remember the last time a genuine virus found it's way on to my system. The only virus alerts I ever get are almost always false alarms when I'm trying to install something legit, so having an AV program with the best, top-of-the-line detection capabilities doesn't really seem all that necessary to me. Although, like you say, I still wouldn't want one so useless that it couldn't detect anything.

CLoud AV is not that best, but it'll do the job as long as you're a clean and safe pc user.

AvonBill
26-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Try Avira's Antivir. Light weight but gives excellent protection. Use it on nearly everything. The free version does have a nag screen which you can cripple by denying all permissions on avnotify.exe.

I do have one old machine on which I run no antivirus on a regular basis. If you are behind a router and don't do anything too dodgy I find that you can stay virus free. Browsing within a sandbox (try sandboxie) gives excellent protection.

Sweep
26-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Try Avast.

Blam
26-07-2009, 01:08 AM
He has-read his original post:)

beeswax34
26-07-2009, 03:10 AM
If you want, use Avast but this time, turn off some of the resident shields like P2P and IM shields and that should reduce the memory footprint.

pcuser42
26-07-2009, 08:35 AM

He was referring to Norton :D

rumpty
26-07-2009, 01:12 PM
... I do have one old machine on which I run no antivirus on a regular basis. If you are behind a router and don't do anything too dodgy I find that you can stay virus free. Browsing within a sandbox (try sandboxie) gives excellent protection.

I would agree with that. Use XP here, behind a router, ZA software firewall, and no AV. Been like that for years with no viruses.

mikebartnz
26-07-2009, 05:11 PM
ClamAV
The only trouble with ClamAV is it is only an on demand scanner (unless it has changed lately) ie it doesn't run all the time in the background checking every file you open.