PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive reliability or lack of?

minster
25-07-2009, 10:28 AM
When I built my new pc about 8 weeks ago I installed a Seagate 160GB sata11 7200.12 for my OS (C) drive and a seperate Seagate 500GB sata 11 7200.11 hard drive for data/games etc.
Since then the data drive disappeared a few times and then reappeared.
I ran Seatools for windows and it passed?
Retailer that supplied the drive got me a new one to replace it (new drive is a Western Digital 500GB Green 32MB)???????? but seems to go okay so I'm not complaining about the mix up in brands:)
Even though there didn't appear to be any problems, I also checked the "C" 160GB Seagate drive with Seatools and this failed every test???
Worried now, I contacted this other supplier and they said "Back up and send it back to them for replaacement) which is what I have done (Waiting for new replacement to arrive now)

2 Seagates in a few weeks???
2 out of 2 = 100% failure record?
As you can imagine, I'm a bit concerned because the new replacement "C" drive will also be a Seagate:(
Wouldn't you think that manufacturers would test their products properly before dispatching to the next step in the chain?
Big job I know, and they do have warranties to fall back on.
But that doesn't help the poor customer that lost all their data in a crash.

Do you trust your Hard Drive??

Cato
25-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I have twin baracudas in a RAID0 for well over 4 years. They were up and running 24/7 for the duration. I expect failure soon.

But 2 failure in a few weeks is pretty strange.

wainuitech
25-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Seagate 500GB sata 11 7200.11 That particular model is one of the ones that has the firmware problems - could be part of the cause.

I must admit that I have used seagates for years, but after that little firmware problem,I've seen a few " odd" happenings - so have now changed to Western Digital drives and had no problems.

minster
25-07-2009, 11:20 AM
That particular model is one of the ones that has the firmware problems - could be part of the cause.

Yes as noted in an earlier thread, I updated the firmware but not sure if it helped as retailer just went ahead and gave me the new Western Digital to replace the Seagate.

While waiting for the new seagate 160 (warrantee) to arrive, I'm still debating whether or not to just order a new WD Black 32MB and use that instead for my OS drive?

Sweep
25-07-2009, 11:23 AM
About 3 years ago I bought two SATA Seagate 200 gig drives and they both still work. They pass SMART tests and they also pass Seagate tests.

I also have put in an IDE 160 Gig Seagate which I have now had for sometime longer probably 6 years.

I have only had one Seagate drive die and that was while it was being used as an external USB in an enclosure at another person's place. A power problem which fried the drive.

minster
25-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Sweep,
6 years ago I wouldn't have been concerned.
These are New drives I'm referring too...

Sweep
25-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Minster.

You asked about reliability of brands. Maybe they are less reliable now than they were then.

But you have had two hard drives die in a short period of time and I would suggest this is unusual to say the least.

minster
25-07-2009, 11:43 AM
You asked about reliability of brands. Maybe they are less reliable now than they were then.

Maybe... This is what I'm trying to decide on:)

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I've had one seagate die on me (250 GB). Got the hdd in Sept 08, the hdd died in Jan/Feb this year. Tested it on the 2 PC's here, to make sure (had to switch it to SATA 1) still no go. It just died (did nothing, stopped after detecting everything on the post screen) when I booted up one day.

Took it back to the shop, they sent it to Albany. Took 2 weeks to get the replacement

rumpty
25-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I have a new 500GB Seagate SATA Barracuda 7200.12 that makes a strange noise now and then, a sort of faint "ting" sound. Might happen two or three times in quick succession, then it goes away. Also it is sometimes slow to access when it hasn't been accessed for hours. Maybe that is to do with me telling XP to turn off the HDs after so many hours? For now I've changed that option to "never".

In view of the above, I still haven't made it the main OS drive.

Sweep
25-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Minster:-

Suffice to say that if I wanted a new Hard drive for myself or others I would go get a Seagate.

minster
25-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the replies:)
So in light of all of the above, what would you all do?

Newish pc, putting in a new hard drive ... Seagate or Western Digital??

Good warrantees on both but I prefer reasonable reliability:)

minster
25-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Minster:-

Suffice to say that if I wanted a new Hard drive for myself or others I would go get a Seagate.

1 point for Seagate ..

I personally would go Western Digital:thumbs:

gary67
25-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Just put a WD blue into my backup comp 3 weeks ago and is going good so far

memphis
25-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I would go for either a Western Digital Black 32MB cache harddrive or Samsung Spinpoint 32MB cache harddrive.

Any harddrives that I have that are giving me problems I get rid of as fast as I can so my system stays up and running and is safe,I dont want to loose my OS,movies,music,games,etc and have to start all over again!!!:horrified:D

R2x1
25-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I was told that Seagate have had a "Bad batch' of HDD's out recently. I had two 32GB ones new - one failed to start from unwrap, so I took it back to Friendly Computers and they happily exchanged both for Western Digital units, same capacity. He remarked that he had had a couple of short life ones recently, but the DOA was a new trick to him.
i have always been a rabid Seagate fan, I have a few older ones that are still humming sweetly after 7 years, and quite a few 5 YO ones. no problems until this latest event. When I needed another 500GB drive last week, Seagate was not on the shopping list, I got a Samsung.
I must say that I have never heard of anyone having trouble with Seagate's warranty procedure.