PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Motherboards! Please.

mark1978
24-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

We would like to upgrade our computer because we think it is on its way out..fans are making strange noises etc etc. I (Mark) have not much knowledge about motherboards but I have a good knowledge how to build them in...but anyway, at the moment we have a MSI MS-6533EG motherboard, it must be about 7 years old now..

If you look for the specs for our board: (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MS-6533EG-LM) you can see that it only has 2 banks for memory in it and they are used at the moment, we would love to have 4 to expand the memory. we have been looking at a board on Trade Me this morning and thought this would be the perfect board to upgrade too. (This is the link: http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1355_2.html)

Can you guys recommend motherboards to us upgrading wise?? I would really appreciate that, it does not have to be dual core because we do not play games. We do edit our own home video's and at the moment that works perfect. But mainly our pc gets used for internet and email music video's etc.

Thanks Mark & Cherie

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Theyre pretty much obsolete now (Socket 478 mobos). Even tho the GB has 4 slots, the ram isnt cheap, you maybe stuck with the 2 sticks of ram you've got.

You'll be better off getting an up to date mobo / ram / CPU.

Blam
24-07-2009, 09:06 PM
You could get a low end computer for less that $700 without monitor that what be more than enough for your needs.

If you invested around $300 in upgrades for this, it wouldn't last long before it would feel "slow" again, not future proofing if you know what I mean..

Blam

mark1978
24-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for your advise, much appreciated. We think your right blam6 that its better to upgrade to a new system..

Cheers,

Mark & Cherie

Strommer
24-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for your advise, much appreciated. We think your right blam6 that its better to upgrade to a new system..

Cheers,

Mark & Cherie

An economical option is to get an upgrade box, example here (http://www.smartpc.co.nz/systems.htm).

QMB Computers have an advert in this month's PC World magazine (near the back) for a motherboard + CPU + RAM combination , less than $300. Then you would have to ensure your old power supply would handle the new components.

Blam
24-07-2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Computer+Systems/iFocus+P320a.html?osCsid=rdj4dsce2tuns0i8ilg08tm40 4

That is good, just transfer your OEM key over and install XP on it with that key, or buy windows 7.

Steve, its probably time the OP upgraded everything, 7 years!

PSU is probably almost dead:p

Mark-just had an idea....WOuld you consider the eee Atom box?

Its got a 1.6ghz Atom, 1gb RAM and an 80gb HDD.

Around $400-$500 so quite cheap, and probably faster than your currently PC.

Whats your current CPU?

Blam

Nomad
25-07-2009, 12:02 AM
If you hunt around .. you could get a CPU for $80. $120 Mobo and then add the RAM .. a cheap PC can be had for v little. Sempron's maybe ok for some pple.... Not saying it is for you who knows ... but saying that new PC parts can be had for little. Take your HDD and box et al .. over. The mobo also have a builtin graphics if you don't play games.

Strommer
25-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Blam - I checked PB Tech and QMB, but that ifocus choice of your's is what I was looking for. Nice. And a good price.

mark - Nomad's suggestion is a good option and the cheapest way to go. I upgraded a pc with a Sempron and it does what the users want just fine. Your 7 yr old power supply may be marginal, and the case could be a problem so if you can afford it, Blam's ifocus upgrade system will give you heaps more.

Blam
25-07-2009, 12:53 AM
http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=7012
http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=6608

Check out those as well:)

mark1978
25-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Gosh, thanks guys, we are so appreciative of your responses. We have thought about getting only a box with motherboard and RAM. At the moment we have 1.5 gig of RAM in this thing (DDR-400), when we tried 2 gig we had all sorts of problems...like not starting anymore lol!!

We have 2 HD in there, 1) 80 GIG and 1) 160 GIG, so I would like to take that over to the new pc. Also our DVD writer, almost brand new and our CD-writer DVD Rom. The Graphics card is a AGP ATI RADEON 7500 and is still working perfectly, and yes we certainty can take our windows xp licence key over to the new machine.

Thanks for al the links you guys provided, we are having a look at it at the moment.

A local computer company wanted to charge us almost 900 for a new pc, without monitor and OS, so if you guys have more links for online pc company's let us know.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2009, 09:28 AM
If you decide to get a 775 mobo, you cant use DDR 400, it wont fit

You'll have to reinstall/reformat, and you'll have to get another videocard as well, and CPU. And keep the rest (case/hdd's).

pctek
25-07-2009, 10:18 AM
We have 2 HD in there, 1) 80 GIG and 1) 160 GIG, so I would like to take that over to the new pc. Also our DVD writer, almost brand new and our CD-writer DVD Rom. The Graphics card is a AGP ATI RADEON 7500 and is still working perfectly, and yes we certainty can take our windows xp licence key over to the new machine.

Technically if the O/S is OEM you aren't supposed to.

The hard drives are IDE or SATA? Because the new motherboards only have 1 IDE port if any these days.

You don't need 2 optical drives, stick with the DVDRW only.

And I'd suggest ASUS or Gigabyte for a motherboard, not MSI.
You'll want an ATX not mATX, most mATX only have 2 RAM slots, ATX generally have 4.

Is the graphics card PCI-E? If its AGP its no good.

Strommer
25-07-2009, 10:34 AM
You don't need 2 optical drives, stick with the DVDRW only.

Personally, I like having two optical drives as it is faster for making copies.

:thumbs: ASUS and Gigabyte. The best motherboards. :thumbs:

Regarding Blam's links to upgrade boxes - again, this is an excellent option and usually the shop will delete the cost of hard drive(s) or other components if you already have them. If you do not see the option of deleting such and such hardware, or software (OS), ring the shop and ask.

mark1978
25-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi PCtek

The Hard Drives are both IDE..

Thanks SteveL, its hard to make decisions!! We would prefer to go with an upgrade box!! its just which one because we do like to take some hardware over!
If any have more website links that would be appreciated, we have looked at pricespy, but its getting to complicated! (And yes...we like 2 optical drives as well!)

Strommer
25-07-2009, 11:00 AM
If any have more website links that would be appreciated, we have looked at pricespy, but its getting to complicated!

I know what you mean. My head was spinning :dogeye: due to having so many PriceSpy tabs open - looking for wireless items. Then last night I tried finding upgrade boxes and gave up, knowing that some kind PF1er would find them - and Blam came through.

It looks like you will have to get rid of one of your IDE hd's. I have a similar situation where the mb only allows two hd's to be connected and I have 3, so I filled the small one (80 G) with back up and kept it in the pc, just in case my other back up hd fails, and the unlikely event of losing back up DVDs, I will have that old hd. If I wanted to be super careful I would store the old hd or DVD's in the garage or bank vault, LOL. Actually I remember seeing a couple on TV standing in front of their house that burned down - they said they did not keep computer backup off property so they lost everything. :eek:

mark1978
25-07-2009, 11:12 AM
lol! Yeah our head was spinning to of all the price spy tabs open!! we have just emailed the pc company that blam had the link too.

If you only have 1 connection for your IDE hard drive, am sure you can get a splitter for that so you can connect 2?? (I mean you used to do this with older boards I think) But now you have SATA, which we are also not familiar with lol

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2009, 11:15 AM
SATA is similar to IDE, except it doesnt have slave/master, and uses a thinner cable. This mobo has only got 1 IDE, but the DVD writer is the only thing connected to it. The hdd is SATA

Blam
25-07-2009, 12:09 PM
lol! Yeah our head was spinning to of all the price spy tabs open!! we have just emailed the pc company that blam had the link too.

If you only have 1 connection for your IDE hard drive, am sure you can get a splitter for that so you can connect 2?? (I mean you used to do this with older boards I think) But now you have SATA, which we are also not familiar with lol

Yes you can, that cable should come with the motherboard:)

Strommer
25-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes you can, that cable should come with the motherboard:)

Hmmmmnnn, I never knew this. The ASUS P4P800 mb I have can connect 2 hd's but I have 3. Does this mean I can get some sort of double adapter to connect both of my back up hd's?

Sweep
25-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Steve_L

You can put in a card if you have an availabe PCI slot.

Like this for example:-

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=125618

HTH.

Strommer
25-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks Sweep. There is a spare PCI slot but I smell a new mb sometime soon...

mark1978
25-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Then I just buy your board StevL!!

Strommer
25-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Then I just buy your board StevL!!

Hmmmnnnn...

:cool: