PDA

View Full Version : PC won't start up

av4tarnz
24-07-2009, 01:13 PM
A few weeks ago my PC didn't start up when the power button was first pressed. This is happened a few times since then and last night it would not turn on at all. No beeps or fans spinning up, nothing.

I last used the computer last weekend, it hasn't been overclocked at all and I haven't installed newer drivers or updated the BIOS since then.

The motherboard has an LED to indicate that it is recieving power and this still lights up. The PSU also has an LED and this also still lights up.

The computer was built about 2 years ago and has the following:

Q6600 CPU
Asus P5K-E motherboard
2GB Crucial Ballistix 800MHZ DDR2 RAM
XFX 8800GTS 640MB GPU
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB HDD
Asus DRW-1814BLT DVD Writer
Vista Ultimate 32bit OEM

How should I go about finding where the problem is?

Thanks

Av4tarnz

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Remove the CMOS jumper for a min or so, put it back, then see if it turns on. If it does, reconfigure the BIOS settings, then save settings. I would also update the BIOS once its going, its up to 1305

stormdragon
24-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Whats the PSU?

If resetting the BIOS doesn't work, try either a different PSU or disconnect all but the barebones (e.g. remove GPU, HDD, Optical Drive, any USB Device) and see if it will boot.

av4tarnz
24-07-2009, 02:07 PM
PSU is a Silverstone ST85F.

Thanks for those tips, I'll try them out tonight and report back.

Av4tarnz

Blam
24-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Short the two pins for power, and see if it turns on. Could be a faulty conenction in the case to the power buttons.

Blam

pctek
24-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Try another PSU, thats what I'd do first.
Then test RAM
Then Motherboard.

av4tarnz
24-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Removing the battery and switching the CMOS jumper didn't do anything.

I've borrowed a set of RAM modules, put them in but still no go. Even put them in the other two slots.

I've also unplugged the GPU, HDD and DVDRW, still nothing.

Blam
Your tip sounds good, what exactly should I do?

Don't have an extra PSU available, I'll get one from work next week and try it out.

So the motherboard could be still getting power, with power LED still lit, even if the PSU is a goner?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Remove the PWRSW connection from the system panel connector on the mobo (its connected to the on/off switch on the front of the case, and its 2 pins).

(its 20 pin and the hdd led / power led / speaker are connected to it). Where it says PWR and ground, short these pins with a screwdriver

nedkelly
24-07-2009, 10:52 PM
What you need to do is find where your power button from the front of your case plugs into your motherboard and then remove the wires. (note: Only do the power button wires should be right next to each other). Would really help if you had the manual to help you find it.
Now you need to get a spare jumper and then quickly put it on where you took the power button wires off and then remove it as soon as you put it on. Acts like a switch. If this does not work post back and then we see what else it could be.

nedkelly
24-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Just beat me to it Speedy. Would it not be easier with a jumper than a screwdriver?

av4tarnz
25-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Shorting the PWRSW connection did it, thanks for that suggestion guys!

I'll take a look at the wiring for the power button.

Av4tarnz