PDA

View Full Version : How to allow remote shutdown?

sammo450
24-07-2009, 12:55 PM
How do I tell an XP PC to allow remote shutdowns from my PC. I want to use the cmd shutdown -m \\computername -s command, but it says access is denied.

inphinity
24-07-2009, 01:12 PM
You have to be authenticated on the remote PC, either by being logged in to the local PC with an account that has admin rights on the remote (e.g. a domain admin account), or by pre-authenticating by use of net use or similar network authentication. shutdown.exe itself does not have any authentication ability.

An alternative would be to install the PsTools on both machines, as psexec allows authentication.

berryb
25-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Try shutdown -i

Can shutdown/restart multiple machines at once with a Gui.

But as Inphinity says, your need admin rights on the remote PC.

sammo450
26-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I tried -i, access denied. I'm not sure how to give myself admin rights on the remote PC?

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 10:55 PM
have you tried This from MS (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysprop_to_perform_a_remote_reboot.mspx?mfr=true) - there are several tools that are available to remotely shutdown a PC.

Is the PC you are wanting to shut down on a LAN, or another Location.

And do you want to have it suddenly shutdown with a timer (as in time to get off - go to bed- Kids).

sammo450
26-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I haven't tried that, it is wired to a WiFi Router, which is WiFid to me. I want to immediately turn off as in 'time for me to go to bed'(It is my internet connection, and downstairs, so remote shutdown is easier than walking all the way to it).

Blam
26-07-2009, 11:27 PM
May be you could just install Teamviewer on both, configure for LAN access, then just connect to it remotely then shut it down.

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 11:35 PM
OK simple way - this is how I run one of my servers. Download the Free Real VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html) - load the Server portion on the server ( pc you want to shutdown) - load the Viewer on the upstairs PC - Open the desktop Via remote ( type in its IP address, eg: 192.168.1.??? hit shutdown -- Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Shutdown1248604522.jpg) - may be a couple of steps, but it works.

Edited: I was writing this out and getting the screen shot - Balm posted while I was doing it, VNC is easier to configure - Team Viewer is far better for different locations.

Blam
27-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Eh? In teamviewer you just need to tick a box and you're done.

Both VNC and Teamviewer are easy to configure IMHO..

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 12:29 PM
In teamviewer you just need to tick a box and you're done. I have tried both here and at others places and it still wants the Web not the local, sometimes it will work, other times it wont. I even contacted team viewer, they checked the settings and it still didn't work. That was on the earlier version, so they may have fixed it now.

BTW - once you have more than 5 PC's on a LAN, you will get a message saying you are suspected of commercial usage and they want you to pay for it.

Blam
27-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Just tick LAN connections only.

Never failed me before.

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Just tick LAN connections only.

Never failed me before. I have had several failures.

Just because yours works doesn't mean it wont fail someplace else.:p

Blam
27-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I have had several failures.

Just because yours works doesn't mean it wont fail someplace else.:p

Yeah true...

How did it not work? Did you restart the Teamviewer Service?

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah true...

How did it not work? Did you restart the Teamviewer Service?

Did every thing -- Under Options - general Tab, Tick Lan Connections, also after the suggestion By Teamviewer , Advanced / network - LAN connections Only, saved them.

Once refreshed / shutdown reopen, for a second or two it would show the LAN IP, then switch back to teamViewers servers.
Even Team Viewer said they couldn't figure out why. Removed it completely, then downloaded fresh - same thing.

Doesn't matter - I use TeamViewer for remote access to others and RealVNC for LAN.-- Not a big deal.

wratterus
27-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah I just use VNC, works a charm.

sammo450
27-07-2009, 03:13 PM
OK I'll look into those softwares, but it's my Dad's PC, so he probably won't let me install them :)

wainuitech
27-07-2009, 05:23 PM
OK I'll look into those softwares, but it's my Dad's PC, so he probably won't let me install them :) Leave it running then -24/7 -- My servers never get turned off apart from maintenance.