PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a wireless system

Strommer
23-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Finally getting fed up with the cable to my wife's laptop and want to go wireless.
I don't know much about wireless systems so what do you think of these choices:

ADSL 2+ Modem/Router (http://www.enetcomputers.co.nz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NET101)

USB Adapter (http://www.notebookcity.co.nz/product/tp-link-54m-usb-wireless-adaptor-vista-supported)

I already have an ADSL 2+ modem, but it seems that wireless routers alone cost the same - as on this PriceSpy list (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html?g=78).

The laptop is old (but works very well) so the USB adaptor must be ok with USB 1.0.

Would Linksys be better than TP Link? I have been advised to stay away from DSE USB adaptors as they take a long time to set up.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 11:02 PM
How far is the wife's laptop from you? And whats between you and the laptop? ie: walls? anything?

Blam
23-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Linksys is IMO definetly better than TPLink.

http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Networking/Wireless+Networking/Wireless+Routers/Linksys+WRT54G2+Wireless-G+Broadband+Router.html?osCsid=g5bb2901bpr6345q07h 00h31t2

There is also a Wireless N version about 10$ more, but that would mean getting a wireless N adapter which will be a bit more expensive.

How far away is the router going to be from the laptop?

Blam

GameJunkie
23-07-2009, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE

How far away is the laptop going to be from the laptop?

Blam[/QUOTE]

:p

Blam
23-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Edited.:p

/me should not type so fast..

Sweep
23-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Sometimes you can do a post that contains no spelling mistakes whatever.

Strommer
24-07-2009, 07:44 AM
How far is the wife's laptop from you? And whats between you and the laptop? ie: walls? anything?

Only 4 meters, no walls. I have been using a cable from the ADSL +2 modem / my desktop to her laptop. SWMBO is checking email more often than 2 years ago and I am getting tired of managing the cable, so it is time to go wireless.

Unless I have missed something on PriceSpy, I would have thought wireless routers would be less expensive than a modem / router combo.

Does it make sense to get a wireless modem/router combo so it would eliminate difficulties of compatibility? Similarly, I thought it would be a good idea to get the same make of USB adaptor.

[edit] Regarding distance: If SWMBO would upgrade to a new laptop, i.e. one that does not have a dead battery, allowing her to move around the house, there would be one or two walls, with a maximum distance of 10 meters or so. The present situation is the most likely arrangement - I can just about lean over and touch the table her laptop is on.

Strommer
24-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Linksys is IMO definetly better than TPLink.

http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Networking/Wireless+Networking/Wireless+Routers/Linksys+WRT54G2+Wireless-G+Broadband+Router.html?osCsid=g5bb2901bpr6345q07h 00h31t2

There is also a Wireless N version about 10$ more, but that would mean getting a wireless N adapter which will be a bit more expensive.

How far away is the router going to be from the laptop?

Blam

I guess that the N version would be a way to future proof the system. At present the old laptop is USB 1.0 which may limit the data rate, and although I am happy with Slingshot's broadband speed I assume that N version transfer rates would not speed the data transfer even if the laptop was USB 2.0. (?) But maybe sometime in the future I would be glad to have N wireless? :confused:

BTW, $10 or $20 or a bit more is no problem, but if N wireless doubles the price, or getting such-and-such brand would substantially increase the price, I would then go for the less expensive option.

Strommer
24-07-2009, 09:01 AM
At present the old laptop is USB 1.0 which may limit the data

It must be USB 1.1, not 1.0, as I see 1.1 arrived on the scene during 1998.

I am trying to get an idea of the data transfer rate on a G, or N version wireless - using the laptop that has USB 1.1. Here is what I have found:

Theoretically, 2.0 vs 1.1 = 60 MB/sec versus 1.5 MB/sec.

In reality: (http://www.lyberty.com/tech/terms/usb.html) USB 2.0 is about 20 - 25 MB/s on average.

Wireless G version: 54Mbps.

N version: up to 300Mbps

Typical broadband download rate: 4 Mbps

It would seem N version wireless is pointless for NZ broadband.

--------------

Do I have this correct?

Strommer
24-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Unless I have missed something on PriceSpy, I would have thought wireless routers would be less expensive than a modem / router combo.

Hope you guys don't mind me answering ;) my own questions. :p
Doing this in a public forum does focus my mind.

Found this for $63: Asus WL-520G Wireless Router (http://www.pcpop.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=1031) 125Mbps (520GC)

mxpress
24-07-2009, 09:22 AM
The TP-Link is a good option. I have been using one for 12 months with no issues at all. it is easy to set up, has a great extended range and is way cheaper than the Linksys quoted in another reply. It also has a three year warranty!!

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Yup, well done, N-Wireless is by and large relatively pointless for most people, especially considering the better part of people just want to share a broadband internet connection.

The Asus WL-520GC isn't bad, but I'd recommend a few extra bucks and get the GU model instead for a number of reasons, including a bigger antenna.

You *could* go for an all-in-one combo, it's just a single point of failure that way if things aren't working, but I've always had best results from keeping the two devices separate, not to mention you can also flash non-standard firmware on the Wireless device if you do keep the wireless & router separate. Just ask any number of people on the forums here what their thoughts are on the Asus WL-520GU running Tomato, we're getting quite a following ;)
Doing that will "unlock" more features on your wireless than the standard firmware from the manufacturer ships with, and allow ultimately greater control, flexibility, and a few other nice things :)

To summarize: Don't get N-Wireless, it'd be a waste of $$ and G-Wireless is future-proof enough.

Chill.

Strommer
24-07-2009, 10:00 AM
...thoughts are on the Asus WL-520GU running Tomato, we're getting quite a following ;)

Chill.

Thanks Chill. Good info, and I am glad to know my geek :nerd: knowledge has gone up another notch. ;)

Cannot find the 520GU using PriceSpy. Only the Asus WL-520G.

Anyone know where I can get the 520GU ?

I also cannot find a trusted brand for a USB adaptor that is compliant with USB 1.1. This is the best I can find (http://www.acetech.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_id=10290), but never heard of Airlive but it is only $33.. Some other listings were OEM with only a 90 day warranty.

Strommer
24-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Just ask any number of people on the forums here what their thoughts are on the Asus WL-520GU running Tomato, we're getting quite a following ;)

For reference purposes, Tomato info can be found HERE (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato).

Chill, on the Tomato page it lists "Routers that are known to work with Tomato", and next to some it states "no USB support" - what does this mean?

I found this page, about working with Tomato, but it looks complicated to me and if Tomato does not install, he says "Now this asus is horrible as far as software. It's got alpha software at best, and not so stable."

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Naaaah Tomato's surprisingly easy to install, and if you have the WL-520GU then it's darn near *impossible* for you to permanently brick the unit. If there was ever a time to play with firmware, it'd be on that awesome little device.

Most wireless devices won't list as "USB1.1 Compliant", but if you plug them in to a USB1.1 port they'll simply transfer data between the device & PC at 12mbps. Unless you're transferring a large volume of files between PC's, for just browsing / emails / youtube etc then the 12mbps will never be an issue ;)

Strommer
24-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Naaaah Tomato's surprisingly easy to install, and if you have the WL-520GU then it's darn near *impossible* for you to permanently brick the unit. If there was ever a time to play with firmware, it'd be on that awesome little device.

Most wireless devices won't list as "USB1.1 Compliant", but if you plug them in to a USB1.1 port they'll simply transfer data between the device & PC at 12mbps. Unless you're transferring a large volume of files between PC's, for just browsing / emails / youtube etc then the 12mbps will never be an issue ;)

I'd love the challenge of installing Tomato. That would really bump up my geek :nerd: rating. However, the only routers that I can find on PriceSpy that Tomato will work with are considerably more expensive, $150+ so I will probably forget about Tomato.

Yeah, I suspected that a USB 2.0 adapter would work with 1.1, but it seems weird that only some specify 2.0 as well as 1.1.

utopian201
24-07-2009, 11:24 AM
To summarize: Don't get N-Wireless, it'd be a waste of $$ and G-Wireless is future-proof enough.

Chill.

I think I'd have to disagree. I dont know about the newer standards, but I know 802.11a shared the bandwidth between all wireless devices. So 54mbps would become 27mbps if two wireless clients were transferring to each other.

You would only get the full bandwidth if you were the only client transferring to a wired client. I find my wired 100mbit network is too slow when transferring files (it goes at around 8MB/s).

So I know the older standards (802.11a) worked like an ethernet hub; the bandwidth was shared among everyone. Are the newer standards like a switch (everyone gets their own 54mbit connection)?

Blam
24-07-2009, 12:47 PM
$77 here!

http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?products_id=32568

Not $150:D

Anyways, +1 for Tomato, you'll love it!

Blam

Strommer
24-07-2009, 01:19 PM
$77 here!

http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?products_id=32568

Not $150:D

Anyways, +1 for Tomato, you'll love it!

Blam

Thanks Blam. Don't know why my PriceSpy search did not find it.

Re Tomato, I went to this page (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware) and while the long list of features look very impressive - most everything is beyond my understanding. I do not see what advantage Tomato would give me. Remember that the wireless system is for SWMBO's laptop 99% of time it is for email, but even if I get my own laptop some day, I still cannot see what I why Tomato would be an advantage. PM me if ;) necessary. That long list of Tomato features sent my head spinning. :p

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah so many cool features, but to be honest most of them would be of little use to you. The real-time graphs I'm sure you'd find rather interesting (Everybody likes that feature), but most of the other stuff such as QoS / Access restrictions will by-and-large be unused. You're right though, it'd add a few points to your geek factor to say the least :D

I know that wireless is half-duplex, so if its 54mbps, thats either sending or receiving. However, lets be honest, for 95% of people at home, if they're going to transfer a large file, its only going to be one person at once doing it. Heck, my parents home network is shared with the church, we can have a solid 35 devices some times connected to it and it doesn't matter... IF they all started file-sharing with each other, that would potentially cause an issue, but again what the better majority of people do is simply browse the web, check emails etc ... if you happen to transfer large video files regularly, then yes you're one of the unique few who may benefit from the faster speeds.
BTW - 8MB/sec = 64m/bit = potentially a cheap chipset, especially many onboard Realtek cards. In the Task Manager under Networking it'll tell you the current usage. The best I've ever got out of a 100m/bit connection was around 95%.

Aside from that, N-Wireless isnt yet a standard either, plus the fact is the machine connecting via WiFi has only got USB1.1 so again its just a huge waste having N-Wireless ;) Future-proofing? Perhaps, but again the vast majority of home users would never notice the difference. Its not hard to go into the next room and have N-Wireless drop right down to 6 / 12 / 24m/bit anyways. If you were *that* concerned about speed for large file transfers, your *only* solution would be to go for gigabit ethernet, or if you're super-rich you can go Fibre.
Lets face it, if speed is a large factor for you for big file transfers, wireless is *not* the way to go, ever ....

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 02:45 PM
It's probably also worth noting that a Tomato-based router is by far the most stable system I've ever tried, and I've tested a ton of TP-Link, D-Link, Dynalink, Linksys, Asus and more ... It'd fail due to hardware failure first before anything else most of the time ;)

Blam
24-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Definetly agree with Chill-Only rebooted my Tomato router once, and that was because of an accidental disconnection..:p

Steve-You probably won't use any of the features, but when the time comes and you'll need a VPN, you know you'll be ready:D

And the AJAX based GUI is very simple to use and *sexy*:D

You can share a printer or HD too:)

Blam

Strommer
24-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Definetly agree with Chill-Only rebooted my Tomato router once, and that was because of an accidental disconnection..

Steve-You probably won't use any of the features, but when the time comes and you'll need a VPN, you know you'll be ready:D

And the AJAX based GUI is very simple to use and *sexy*

You can share a printer or HD too:)

Blam

Chill and Blam - I'll probably go for the WL-520GU so I can throw a tomato at it - it is not too much more $$ and I like the idea of stability. And I guess the next time I meet someone who thinks they know more about pc's than I do, I'll natter on and on about how I use the various Tomato features :D , and mention that I have a PF1 Geek Certificate. :lol:

VPN? Hmmmnnnn, I had to look it up (http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/)... nice... guess it would be especially useful living in an apartment block with other wireless geeks.

Share a printer? Does this mean my wife could print from her laptop to my desktop printer, without me having to USB stick transfer the document from laptop to desktop? Pleeeeaase tell me so...:p

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2009, 04:17 PM
You can share a printer, whether youre on wired or wireless. Just do the same thing (you would do for ethernet), for wireless

Blam
24-07-2009, 07:00 PM
You can share a printer, whether youre on wired or wireless. Just do the same thing (you would do for ethernet), for wireless

Ah but this is different-The printer is plugged into the routers USB port, therefore you don't need the PC to be on;)

Strommer
24-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Ah but this is different-The printer is plugged into the routers USB port, therefore you don't need the PC to be on;)

Yes, this is what would be ideal: not to have my desktop on, so that SWMBO can print with her laptop independently. But if the printer is plugged into the router does it mean my desktop printer USB cable has to be changed?

Blam
24-07-2009, 09:04 PM
That depends...is it using USB currently?

If it is, then no

Strommer
24-07-2009, 09:41 PM
That depends...is it using USB currently?

If it is, then no

Yes, the printer is USB connected. So if you mean my desktop USB connector does not need to be changed, I do not see how the router can be connected to a printer / how can the laptop get the printer 'message' through to the printer via the wireless router?

Blam
24-07-2009, 09:44 PM
The router has a USB port-like the one on your laptop/desktop

Strommer
24-07-2009, 10:18 PM
The router has a USB port-like the one on your laptop/desktop

Yes but how does that connect to the printer when the printer is connected the desktop?

Blam
24-07-2009, 11:26 PM
You disconnect it from the desktop:p

Then you configure the desktop and the other laptops/pcs to print to the networked printer:p

Strommer
25-07-2009, 12:13 AM
You disconnect it from the desktop

Then you configure the desktop and the other laptops/pcs to print to the networked printer

This would mean the desktop has to be wireless, right?
I guess I was not clear that I intended to purchase only one USB wireless adapter - for the laptop only.
However, if the only way I can get SWMBO's laptop to print without me having * to do it, then I'll get another USB wireless adapter for the desktop.

* It will go like this: :groan:
She: I need to print this. Can you do it now?
Me: Remember, you can print direct from your laptop (like I showed you several times already).
She: Uhhhh... How?
Me: Well, first the printer needs to be turned on (like I showed you upteen times over the last 10+ years).
She: Oh. (If its a good day she remembers how to press the ON button.)
She: Now what?
Me: Remember (like I showed you a hundred times over the last 7 years) you go to File > Print, or just Ctrl + P ?
She: (If its a good day) Oh yeah. Got it. ... But its not working.
Me: Did you check that the wireless system is all ok?
She: ??????? (Silence)
Me: The wireless router should be ON, but you may have to check.
She: :stare: ????
Me: (Checking to see that the router is on and the USB wireless adapter is still connected to her laptop). OK, all should work because the USB adapter is connected.
She: But the page has disappeared! I lost it!
Me: (Its minimized, down in the bottom of the tray, so I point to where it is, at a loss for words as this has been shown to SWMBO for the last 7 years.)
She: (clicks to maximize). Now what?
Me: :waughh: (biting my tongue) File > Print, or Ctrl + P.
She: (after a few minutes) Why didn't it print?
Me: (no paper!)

...and so it goes....:lol:... really ,,,, :groan:

hueybot3000
25-07-2009, 12:39 AM
I think the way your setup would work is

--> Printer (usb)
Router
-->Desktop (wired, router sits next to computer)
-->Laptop (wireless)

I think thats the simple answer you need, it looks good anyway.

And as far as SWMBO goes, just leave the printer and router always on then you wont have problems

Chilling_Silence
Nah the desktop plugs in to the back of the Wireless router instead of your normal modem, and the Wireless Router just passes everything it needs on to your ADSL modem.

Whats needed:
1x Asus WL-520GU
1x Wireless adapter for SWMBO's laptop
1x afternoon, and a bit of patience, and you'll be fine :)

Besides, if you get stuck, you can just post here ;)

Chilling_Silence
And as far as SWMBO goes, just leave the printer and router always on then you wont have problems

+1 for that :D

Strommer
25-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by hueybot3000 -

Chilling_Silence:
+1 for that :D

You have nooooo idea. Really. :illogical All logic and 'normality' fly out the window when SWMBO sits in front of anything technical. Its like gremlins stand by just waiting for her to get near technology, especially pc's. I have seen her make things disappear off the screen in a way that is funny if you don't have to deal with it on a continual basis; usually it is a matter of dexterity - not handling the mouse, not clicking properly. I am not exaggerating when I say it took her three years to learn how to turn her laptop on. My sister was the same - according to her husband - and to make it worse she was a brainwashed cult follower of Apple and refused to go PC for years, but somehow my bro in law and I managed to get her to dump the Mac and onto a PC - now she is a PC convert. Back to SWMBO: The problem can be as simple as not clicking twice on a file to open it, or dragging the pointer so that it copies the file instead of opening it, or clicking on the name of the file to get a name edit. And yes, I have tried three times over the years to have her keep a written set of notes so that she can remember what to do when I am not around, but the notes always go astray or if they are there she won't refer to them even though she understood the notes perfectly the week before. But hey, I am making progress after 7 years: SWMBO can now turn her laptop on, make sure the modem is on, connect the ADSL cable, send and receive email... but to click on a link so that FF automatically opens - well, no, that is too difficult right now - maybe next year or the year after, then there is learning how to print in Landscape format. SIGH. :p Oh, and how about taking a free community computer course, as her best friend did? I suggested that idea, and her friend suggested it: Did not even register on her radar screen, you may as well speak in Sawhili. :groan:

-----

Back on topic. Now it is me who is thick. Chill, bear with me please. You say "Nah the desktop plugs in to the back of the Wireless router instead of your normal modem, and the Wireless Router just passes everything it needs on to your ADSL modem." Question: Is it a simple USB cable from desktop to the wireless router, because if so, then I assume my desktop has to be on for the laptop to use the printer. I just do not understand how the laptop can use the printer independently unless the printer is connected to the router.

Cato
25-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Back on topic. Now it is me who is thick. Chill, bear with me please. You say "Nah the desktop plugs in to the back of the Wireless router instead of your normal modem, and the Wireless Router just passes everything it needs on to your ADSL modem." Question: Is it a simple USB cable from desktop to the wireless router, because if so, then I assume my desktop has to be on for the laptop to use the printer. I just do not understand how the laptop can use the printer independently unless the printer is connected to the router.

No, not a USB cable but an ethernet cable (network cable, looks similar to the phone cable).

And yes, your desktop will have to be on to use the printer unless connected to the router.

Strommer
25-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Another question: I assume that the reason the WL-520GU router can allow printing is due to Tomato. That is, the WL-520GU router's original software would not allow printing. Correct?

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2009, 10:51 AM
No thats why its got the USB port on it. It would still print, whether tomato is on it or not

feersumendjinn
25-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe this'll help
http://www.ehow.com/how_2091717_access-printer-through-wireless-router.html

Blam
25-07-2009, 12:11 PM
No thats why its got the USB port on it. It would still print, whether tomato is on it or not

Speedy is righ here, but I would not use the default firmware.

Its unstable and very unreliable.

Not mention a crap WebUI and weird english:p

Strommer
25-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Nah the desktop plugs in to the back of the Wireless router instead of your normal modem, and the Wireless Router just passes everything it needs on to your ADSL modem.

Whats needed:
1x Asus WL-520GU
1x Wireless adapter for SWMBO's laptop

Chill, I think I need to get two wireless usb adapters - see below.

Maybe this'll help
http://www.ehow.com/how_2091717_access-printer-through-wireless-router.html

Thanks. Nice explanation.

Plug the printer into the wireless router by attaching the printer's USB cable into the USB port on the router. All computers that have previously used this printer must now have access to the wireless network or a bridged wired network to continue being able to print.

Since the printer is connected to the router, in order to print from my desktop, it must be also be wireless. Correct Chill?

Strommer
25-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Are you sure?
http://www.jamdev.co.uk/wiki/Linux/Tomato
Tomato doesn't have USB printing support, but as it's based on Linux, this can be added.

It appears that I would have to add another bit of firmware to Tomato, specifically for the router I am going to get.

Blam
25-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Are you sure?
http://www.jamdev.co.uk/wiki/Linux/Tomato
Tomato doesn't have USB printing support, but as it's based on Linux, this can be added.

It appears that I would have to add another bit of firmware to Tomato, specifically for the router I am going to get.

Yes, you'll need to get the USB build:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60185

As for your desktop PC printing-as long as its connected to the network(via ethernet or wireless) then it can print to the networked printer.

Have a play round on this, get familarised etc:
http://lampiweb.com/virtual/Tomato_RAF/status-index.html

Blam

Strommer
25-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Yes, you'll need to get the USB build:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60185

From what I see, that is for Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL, but I am getting the ASUS WL-520GU. Correct?

Thanks for the Tomato page. Looks like its going to be a steep learning curve to earn the next level of PF1 certificate of proficiency. ;)

Blam
25-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Works with GU as well, run it myself.

Strommer
25-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Works with GU as well, run it myself.

:cool:

Strommer
29-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Speedy is righ here, but I would not use the default firmware.

Its unstable and very unreliable.

Not mention a crap WebUI and weird english:p

Problems:

The WL-520GU arrived today, along with 2 wireless usb adapters. Before installing Tomato, I figured that I would set up the router with its own software - the English was fine, used EZStartup 3 or 4 times, had to ring my ISP (put on hold more than 20 minutes each time) to check settings, but cannot get the #@$X!# thing to work. I get 'configuration mismatch' - I can post screenshots but am now wondering if it is best to install Tomato? Is the ASUS software so bad that it would prevent my system from working?

I have tried both usb wireless adapters. One is ASUS, the other is AirLive. Both installed OK on my desktop. I am trying to get my desktop working with wireless before attempting SWMBO's laptop - but see below.

The reason I ordered the AirLive wireless usb adapter is that the specs showed it to be compatible with USB 1.1, whereas the ASUS only had 2.0. However, I cannot get the laptop to recognize the adapter - nothing happens when I plug it into the USB port, no blinking light, nothing on the screen - but it is OK with my desktop. The drivers and utility set up OK on the laptop.

-------

1. Should I install Tomato, or persevere with the ASUS software? Yes, I do eventually want Tomato - that is the whole point of getting the 520GU - but I thought it would be best to configure the router first with the ASUS software.

2. If I cannot get either the AirLive or ASUS usb adapters to work on the laptop, I will return the AirLive for a refund, but I need a recommendation of a usb adapter that WILL work with usb 1.1 (BTW, the usb port works OK when using usb memory sticks).

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Put the info in manually. The username / password etc. This came with some kind of cd / program as well. Never used it. Does the laptop have a PCMCIA slot?? If it does, a PCMCIA card maybe better.

Strommer
29-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Put the info in manually. The username / password etc. This came with some kind of cd / program as well. Never used it. Does the laptop have a PCMCIA slot?? If it does, a PCMCIA card maybe better.

I have tried manually entering the info twice. No go. I entered the Network Name (SSID) and Network Key, as given by the ASUS EZStart setup.

I doubt that the laptop has a PCMCIA slot. It is old - Dec 2002.
From the specs:
• PORTS: 1 parallel, 2 USB, PS/2 Keyboard/mouse, Headphone in/out, 4Mb IrDA, IEEE 1394 ( Firewire ), S-video out port
• One (1) Type I/II PC Card slot w/ support for 32-bit Cardbus

Strommer
29-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Checked the specifications for both wireless usb adapters - the AirLive and ASUS - and both are usb 1.1 compliant. When I plug them into the laptop's usb port, the tiny LED light flashes momentarily, then stops. In Comodo I 'allowed' each to not be blocked by going into 'running processes'.

What else can I check to see why the usb adapters are not being recognized by the laptop? In case you have not what I wrote above, the laptop is usb 1.1 and I have installed the necessary drivers and utilities using the cd's supplied, and rebooted.

[edit] Not sure about the ASUS dongle. I now see it says -
- Host Interface : USB 2.0 (but nothing about 1.1)
- Certifications & Standards - includes usb 1.1

[edit] For the Airlive dongle: INTERFACE USB 1.1/2.0 compliant

Peter Coleman
29-07-2009, 06:31 PM
usb 2.0 is backward compatable with 1.1,meaning anything that uses 1.1 is ok for a 2.0 unit,the 2.0 just slows down to 1.1 speeds.What OS is the laptop using?

Peter

Strommer
29-07-2009, 06:41 PM
usb 2.0 is backward compatable with 1.1,meaning anything that uses 1.1 is ok for a 2.0 unit,the 2.0 just slows down to 1.1 speeds.What OS is the laptop using?

Peter

WinXP Home

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2009, 06:49 PM
It maybe compatible, but if you havent got all day and night, I wouldnt use USB 2 on a USB 1 port

Strommer
29-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Besides, if you get stuck, you can just post here ;)

Chill, I am stuck. Help needed. :thanks

Summary:

Laptop does not recognize either of the two usb wireless adapters.

WL520GU not set up properly. Tomato time?

( see above for details )

Blam
29-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes..tomato time!

Here's a good guide for installing it:
http://www.society9.com/an-easy-guide-to-installing-tomato-on-the-asus-520gu/

Are the Asus USB adapters seen in device manager(run>devmgmt.msc)

Blam

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2009, 11:34 PM
So many steps! ;)
Try this (Especially written for you -- Yes it may look a lil daunting but its not that bad and its SO worthwhile):

1) Grab Tomato-USB firmware from blam6's link:
http://www.box.net/shared/nvsnpabkkf
You want the one labelled: tomato-1.25-ND-USB-8632-Std.rar

2) Extract the files, the key one is called:
tomato-ND-USB-8632-Std.trx
The changelog is pretty meaningless and can be deleted, but put the .trx on your straight C:\ Drive
NOTE: Its probably worth renaming it to "tomato.trx" for Step 7

3) Make sure you have a TFTP client, click Start --> Run, then type in: cmd
Then click OK. In the new window, type in: tftp
When you hit Enter if you see:

'tftp' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
That means you need to grab a TFTP client from here:
http://www.winagents.com/downloads/tftp.exe
Save it to your C: Drive. It will be used later to upload the firmware to the Router.

4) Set your Cabled LAN IP Address to: 192.168.1.2
If you cannot do this, stop and post back asking for help before proceeding.

5) Get ready to do Step 7. You're going to pull out the power cable from the back of the Asus WL-520GU

6) Press and hold restore button and then insert power cord back into router.
When the PWR light starts flashing, release Restore button. Your WL-520GU is in restore mode.

7) Click Start --> Run --> cmd
Type: cd \
Now, when you type: tftp
You should get something different this time... You're now ready to upload the firmware. When the WL-520GU is in Restore Mode, run:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT tomato.trx

8) Wait for 3 minutes, then unplug the power and give it another 2 minutes to power up (First time for a clean flash always takes a while for some reason)

9) You're done! :)

Remember: If at any time you get stuck, all hope is never lost, this router cannot be bricked and can ALWAYS be repaired! ALWAYS! :)
Now, it may look a little daunting but once you've done it one time you'll be a Pro and can churn them out in only 2-3 minutes tops for when you start helping out with your friends!
Also, Tomato is GREAT with its Wireless security, once you've put in the Key, it takes WPA, WPA2, and both TKIP / AES encryption which makes configuration of your PC / Laptop heaps easier...

Hope this helps

Chill.

Strommer
30-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks Chill and Blam. It is good to know it is not a lost cause!

Bear with me Chill - I will get to your instructions in a bit, but read this...

Before I read your posts, I made some progress but I must admit it is like shooting in the dark, trying this and that and then not remembering exactly what I did. :waughh: But hey, surprise surprise, the AirLink wireless usb adapter in the laptop is now blinking and although a connection is not made, it does register the ASUS router. I have no idea why the usb adapter was dead previously but anyway it is alive now.

More success - for the 4th time I reconnected the router and modem as per the diagram in the router start guide book, ran the EZStart wizard, and got a 'Completed Successfully' message, telling me that the wireless network is now ready to use... but then giving an error message stating that the laptop might not work - see MS Knowledge Base etc etc.

Running the ASUS troubleshooter, it tells me that the problem is likely a configuration mismatch of SSID, but when I use the supplied SSID and Network Key, it does not connect.

OK Chill (and Blam) now to your instructions. It is late. We were out to a club dinner and I am wiped. Tomorrow morning when my head is more clear, I will try to get my head around what you and Blam wrote. I am on a steep learning curve here and it takes me back when PF1 guided me through the installation of a new mb, cpu and RAM - it was terribly complicated for me when doing it but afterwords I wondered why the fuss since it really was so simple, LOL.

So at this stage it looks do-able. Previously I was ready to :badpc: throw the laptop and wireless gear in the rubbish. Not really, but you probably know the :dogeye: feeling.

Chill, I have skimmed through your instructions and earlier today I read through the Tomato FAQ's. Most all of this appears difficult, complex, but tomorrow I will give it a go. BTW, when fiddling this evening, I chose WPA-personal (or whatever the extra security setting is called), so maybe this is what caused the mismatch.

Much thanks for the encouraging words: "...this router cannot be bricked and can ALWAYS be repaired! ALWAYS!" Nice :punk

Strommer
30-07-2009, 12:20 AM
1) Grab Tomato-USB firmware from blam6's link:
http://www.box.net/shared/nvsnpabkkf
You want the one labelled: tomato-1.25-ND-USB-8632-Std.rar

OK, have downloaded it. This afternoon I downloaded [Tomato_1_25_ND.7z], from one of Blam's links - this may be the same as what you specified but I am not taking any chances and will use tomato-1.25-ND-USB-8632-Std.rar

Will extract it in the morning. Must hit the sack now.

:thanks Many thanks for your assistance. :thumbs:

Strommer
30-07-2009, 08:10 AM
4) Set your Cabled LAN IP Address to: 192.168.1.2

Is THIS (http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/how-do-I-change-my-ip-address)how I change the IP address (using run > cmd > ipconfig /release ... etc)?

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Go into network connections / highlight the LAN connection / right mouse / properties. Go into TCP/IP, change the ip here.

192.168.1.2 first it'll probably put the subnet in, put the routers ip in for the gateway, and the routers ip in for the primary DNS and one of your ISP's DNS server ips in for alternate

Strommer
30-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Go into network connections / highlight the LAN connection / right mouse / properties. Go into TCP/IP, change the ip here.

192.168.1.2 first it'll probably put the subnet in, put the routers ip in for the gateway, and the routers ip in for the primary DNS and one of your ISP's DNS server ips in for alternate

OK. Thanks.

Strommer
30-07-2009, 10:05 AM
You should get something different this time... You're now ready to upload the firmware. When the WL-520GU is in Restore Mode, run:

8) Wait for 3 minutes, then unplug the power and give it another 2 minutes to power up (First time for a clean flash always takes a while for some reason)

Chill, I entered "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT tomato.trx" and got this:
"Can't read from local file..." see screenshot HERE (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/_tftp_wireless.jpg).

As you can see, I also tried using the original file name: tomato-ND-USB-8632-Std.trx

Both files are on C drive (not in a separate folder).

I did manage to change the IP address as per Speedy's instructions. But then of course I could not get back on the internet even after trying to have an IP address assigned automatically. I did however manage to save a screenshot of all the TCP/IP settings (did this sometime last year) so I entered the numbers only to get a error message saying that a Bluetooth adapter was using the same IP address - not sure how to change one of the IP's so there would not be a conflict, I rang Slingshot's tech help, was put on hold for ages (speakerphones are great for this), and learned that the last digit could be changed to just about any number (from 2 to 54 I think he said).

OK fine, I am back online, but now what?

I followed your steps 5 and 6 - the power light flashed so all seemed ok. Don't know why the trx file was not recognized. :stare:

:help:

Blam
30-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Just a suggestion, but the website I linked to has an alternative method..try that

Strommer
30-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Just a suggestion, but the website I linked to has an alternative method..try that

Thanks Blam, but the link gets this:
Not Found - The requested URL /dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn11028/dd-wrt.v24-11028_NEWD_mini_asus.trx was not found on this server.

Is there somewhere else I can download it? Or another method?

Blam
30-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/Broadcom/Asus/WL520GU/dd-wrt.v24_mini_asus.trx

Chilling_Silence
30-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Chill, I entered "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT tomato.trx" and got this:
"Can't read from local file..." see screenshot HERE (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/_tftp_wireless.jpg).

Both files are on C drive (not in a separate folder).

:help:

CD \
You forgot the "\" after ;)

Strommer
30-07-2009, 03:01 PM
CD \
You forgot the "\" after ;)

Ha! Is that all? Well, I don't do much DOS command line stuff these days. :p

You're now ready to upload the firmware. When the WL-520GU is in Restore Mode, run:

I did not see any \ in your instructions, so where exactly :confused: does it go... Don't know what you mean by "after". After what?

\tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT tomato.trx

or

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT tomato.trx\

Reference - screenshot. (http://imagef1.net.nz/files/_tftp_wireless.jpg)

On a break - will come back after work.

SolMiester
30-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Steve, did you get a USB wireless device for the lappy?....too bad, I was giong to suggets PCMCIA card instead..USB wireless is not reliable.....especially on 1.1

Chilling_Silence
30-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Reference screenshot: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/cd.png

Strommer
30-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Chill, Speedy, and Blam - back at my desk and now it is Tomato time.

This is what I am going to do:
Enter the IP address as 192.168.1.2 - as above.
As for the subnet, etc., I am going to leave it as it is (otherwise I don't have a clue how to get the correct numbers).

Then I will do the tftp as per Chill.

Stay tuned...

Strommer
30-07-2009, 10:19 PM
... Set your Cabled LAN IP Address to: 192.168.1.2

6) Press and hold restore button and then insert power cord back into router.
When the PWR light starts flashing, release Restore button. Your WL-520GU is in restore mode.

9) You're done! :)

Chill.

Chill, the tftp worked! It took a little while but the command /DOS text said "Transfer successful xxxx bytes in 13 seconds, xxxx bytes" etc.

Then I waited at least 3 minutes, unplugged the power, and powered back up as you stated, but nothing happened. No tomato anywhere. Is Tomato supposed to pop up automatically?

These led's were lit up, on the 520GU: pwr, air, wan, lan (the one I plugged into).

I fiddled around with the ASUS LAN Control Centre, saw "no association", did not know what to do.

I shut down the pc, turned off the modem and 520GU, powered everything back up. Nothing.

:confused:

Would it have made any difference on how I exited the run > command DOS box?

Maybe Subnet, Gateway, DNS numbers needed to be changed?

I have a feeling that I missed something very basic.

Chilling_Silence
31-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Power it on, give it 60 seconds, then click Start --> Run --> cmd
ping 192.168.1.1

IF that works, open the following in your web browser:
http://192.168.1.1

If not, post back here :)

Strommer
31-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Good morning Chill.

Power it on, give it 60 seconds, then click Start --> Run --> cmd
ping 192.168.1.1

IF that works, open the following in your web browser:
http://192.168.1.1

If not, post back here :)

Unfortunately:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Strommer
31-07-2009, 08:24 AM
" 4) Set your Cabled LAN IP Address to: 192.168.1.2 "

Chill, before I pinged I set the IP as above.

I also tried pinging 192.168.1.2 (as well as 192.168.1.1)

I could try the method Blam referred to, but it requires the original 520GU set-up and I am not sure what is on the 520GU now.

Blam
31-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Do you have any firewalls?

Strommer
31-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Do you have any firewalls?

Comodo, but I have gone into 'Running Processes' several times and made sure it allowed any wireless process. There is no Comodo pop up indicating a blockage.

I will wait for Chill's next step - there must be something else I can check or do.

If it is a dead end, I will follow the page you gave Blam, as long as I can ensure the original 520GU software (or is it called firmware?) is still there.

Blam
31-07-2009, 10:47 AM
No need. Just use the Asus firmware restoration tool.

Its on the webpage I linked to

Strommer
31-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Looks like Chill is too busy, so will try your method Blam.

No need. Just use the Asus firmware restoration tool.

Its on the webpage I linked to

OK, I have the Firmware Restoration window but step 3 says:
"On a PC, disable any other Access Point you might be connected to."

Does "disable any other Access Point" mean Network Connections or what?? How do I find "access points"??

Blam
31-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Don't worry about it. You won't be connected to other APs.

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2009, 03:13 PM
The AP option will be in the router, if its a wireless modem/router. An AP is what lets wireless adapters connect to it. So they'll get on the net

Strommer
31-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks Speedy and Blam.

Hey, I decided to check Comodo (yet again) and I noticed on the Summary page it says xxx files waiting for your review, so I went to that section and found a bunch of ASUS WLAN CARD and two 520GU files, plus a few Airlive files (one of the USB wireless adapters) - so I moved them all to "My Own Safe Files". Before I moved them Comodo listed them as "Untrusted" so perhaps this is the problem? It is strange because I would have thought Comodo would have asked me if I wanted to block them, and when I installed the 520GU software (from the CD) I put Comodo into "Installation Mode".

Blam - from 'your' Tomato installation guide:

7. Check if you are able to go to the router’s admin page at 192.168.1.1
8. Disable windows firewall

How do I go to the router's admin page?

How do I disable Comodo?

I must leave now and go back to work so I will resume the Big Tomato Expedition later this evening - I will reboot the pc and 520GU, to see if Tomato appears somewhere and if not, and if Chill has no new ideas, I will go down the Firmware Restoration route.

Thanks for the assistance - without your help I probably would have found found a cliff to toss the 520 over by now. :stare: :lol:

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 if thats the ip for it, put the username / pw in. Dont know about comodo dont use it now. If there's an exit option exit it

Strommer
31-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 if thats the ip for it, put the username / pw in. Dont know about comodo dont use it now. If there's an exit option exit it

Thanks.

Funny about the things that are so obvious, I don't see them: Right click on Comodo icon in system tray gives Exit and Disabled. I'll go for Disabled.

Will get onto Tomato later this evening.
Meeting friends at the pub takes priority now. :D

Strommer
01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Chill, Blam, Speedy, et. al.,

PROGRESS - finally - although not completed.

Blam, I followed the instructions in your post, running the Firmware Restoration Utility, uploaded the .trx file successfully and waited for the 520GU to reboot as in step 12 - I could not see anything happening but checked Comodo and found I forgot to disable the firewall and security so I did so and waited a few more minutes - still nothing so I entered 192.168.1.1 in FF and amazingly the DD-WRT page :) appeared (BTW Chill, I never did this {entered 192.168.1.1 in FF} when following the method you gave me as it was not listed to do).

Step 13 says to enter user name as "admin", no password - but this did not work.
I entered "admin" several times, leaving the password blank, hit Enter, nothing happened (the user name and password box remained).

So I am stuck on Step 13.

If necessary, I can post a screenshot of the DD-WRT admin page as shown on FF. This page gives a lot of info on my pc's system / router.

Maybe I need to change the IP address, default gateway, or other settings in Network Conncections > TCP/IP? I set the IP address to 192.168.1.2 and also tried 192.168.1.7 (which is the normal setting, the one in use right now).

:help: I am getting closer to cracking the Tomato problem, so don't give up on me yet. :help:

Chill, once again I followed the instructions you gave me, and got a 'successful' report on the DOS cmd screen (don't know the proper name). Continued as specified but still no go. Comodo was disabled.

[edit] I did not uninstall the original 520GU software (on the ASUS cd) - I am not sure if this would make any difference.

[edit] Step 12 states: The firmware should get uploaded and the router will reboot with DD-WRT. Is something supposed to appear? How do I know the router rebooted successfully?

Strommer
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Googled and found this:

Why doesn't my password work?
Make sure you're entering the username "admin" or "root". Unlike the Linksys firmware, they are required in Tomato.

If you're upgrading from the DD-WRT firmware, telnet into the router *before* upgrading and type "nvram get http_passwd". The result will be your password in Tomato. This is necessary because of a change in DD-WRT's way of using the standard http_passwd variable.

If you have a Buffalo router or a Linksys with a pushable Cisco logo, push the AOSS/Cisco button for at least 20 seconds, then telnet into the router on port 233. Type "nvram get http_passwd" to retrieve the password or "nvram set http_passwd='your_new_password'" followed by "nvram commit" to set it manually. Reboot the router using the command "reboot" after using this method.

If nothing else works, push the reset button for a few seconds to reset all of the settings. The default password after resetting is "admin".

Blam, Chill, should I do this:
If you're upgrading from the DD-WRT firmware, telnet into the router *before* upgrading and type "nvram get http_passwd".

If so, how do I: "telnet into the router "

Or if I need to do this:
If nothing else works, push the reset button for a few seconds to reset all of the settings. The default password after resetting is "admin".

... If I push the reset button, would this remove the tomato .trx upload?

Strommer
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
TOMATO SUCCESSFUL ! :clap

I pressed the reset button until the power light flashed, went to 192.168.1.1 and tried several combinations of username / password - I think "root" / "admin" was the one that worked.

:groan: However, I am not connected to the internet via wireless yet.

QUESTIONS: Do I need to make any changes in these categories?

Router IP - Local IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Local DNS

Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)

Time Settings - I set this to UTC+1200, although I doubt if it is necessary. Or should I choose "disable"?

Router Management
Router Password
Router Username
Router Password

Also what do I put in for Host and Domain names? I am with Slingshot - I searched their site and did not find anything useful.

Laptop - The AirLive USB Adapter shows the wireless connection with DD_WRT, with "excellent signal strength", but there is no internet connection.

Blam
01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Set the Gateway to the IP of your modem.

You can find out the modems IP address by connecting your PC directly to it, then running ipconfig in cmd then note down the default gateway

Strommer
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Set the Gateway to the IP of your modem.

You can find out the modems IP address by connecting your PC directly to it, then running ipconfig in cmd then note down the default gateway

OK, will do.

What else do I need to do to get Tomato connected to my USB wireless adapters?

Blam
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Set up Wireless.

Set an SSID, set WPA-PSK encryption then copy the key to a flash drive and transfer to other PCs/Laptops.

Its in the Basic section, called Wireless

Set the DNS servers to the gateway IP also. Make sure DHCP is on disabled, so that the router will act as a gateway only so there won't be a messy double nat

Blam

Strommer
01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Set up Wireless.

Set an SSID, set WPA-PSK encryption then copy the key to a flash drive and transfer to other PCs/Laptops.

Its in the Basic section, called Wireless

Set the DNS servers to the gateway IP also. Make sure DHCP is on disabled, so that the router will act as a gateway only so there won't be a messy double nat

Blam

"Its in the Basic section, called Wireless" - The Basic Section of Tomato, or what?

BTW, :thanks thanks for the assistance - I have been stumbling in the dark all morning...

Strommer
01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Set up Wireless.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about SSID or encryption. Is there a Help section that explains these, or is there a simple set of options to choose from?

A couple of days ago I managed to transfer settings to a flash drive and transferred it to the laptop - but cannot remember how I did it although probably it was part of the original 520GU software.

Blam
01-08-2009, 02:10 PM
SSID=Name of network

encryption=Security you want. Set it to WPA Personal

Then click "Generate" and it'll make a key for you. COpy the key to a flash drive, then when other computers want to connect it'll ask for this key. Paste it in.

Blam

Strommer
01-08-2009, 03:43 PM
SSID=Name of network

encryption=Security you want. Set it to WPA Personal

Then click "Generate" and it'll make a key for you. COpy the key to a flash drive, then when other computers want to connect it'll ask for this key. Paste it in.

Blam

Still no internet connection using wireless. :crying

The laptop wireless usb adapter shows a connection with an 'excellent' signal strength but showed the status to be "acquiring IP address" - I then entered IP and Gateway numbers as shown on my desktop (cmd ipconfig) but when I rebooted the laptop a pop up warning said that there is an IP Conflict on one of the networks - so I don't know how to assign IP numbers.

The AirLive laptop usb adapter did have a section for to enter the WPA encryption code (Tomato would not generate one so I have used a long alpha-numeric password), and it was successful when I entered the code - therefore what stumps me is that while there is evidence of the laptop connecting to the router (DD-WRT shows on the laptop), I cannot get the laptop connected to the internet.

I am not even sure if the Tomato-Router is connecting with the modem - how can this be checked?

Trying to get the ASUS usb wireless adapter to work on my desktop was worse than the AirLive adapter used on the laptop. I would have thought that ASUS adapter to ASUS router would be easy. :stare: Doing a scan with the wizard does not even show the DD-WRT or any evidence of the 520GU.

I am starting to think about looking for a cliff to toss :waughh: the 520GU over...

Blam
01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Disable any software that came with the wireless adapters and use Windows' inbuilt WCZ feature

Have you set up a DHCP range on the router?

You know how you set up a static IP before? Did you make sure that one laptop have 192.168.1.X for an IP, and the other had the same but with a different number at the end?

Strommer
01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
1. Disable any software that came with the wireless adapters and use Windows' inbuilt WCZ feature

2. Have you set up a DHCP range on the router?

3. You know how you set up a static IP before? Did you make sure that one laptop have 192.168.1.X for an IP, and the other had the same but with a different number at the end?

1. OK, I have been thinking of using the WCZ so will give it a try.

2. Not sure what you mean by "set up a DHCP range on the router" but I will go into Tomato to see if I can find that section - would I need to change anything from default? I did follow your instruction here: "Make sure DHCP is on disabled"

3. Set up a static IP?
Do you mean simply by entering IP numbers using Network Connections > TCP/IP? For the laptop's wireless connection IP - I will change it to having only the last number different - but do I need to also enter the other sections (subnet mask, default gateway)?

Thanks for your assistance. Surely I must be getting close to getting it correct. BTW I notice there are over 1,000 page views so I guess we are keeping a few people entertained! :lol:

Blam
01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Ah sorry.

I forgot about that-does your existing modem have DHCP?

If it does, then disable it. But to me it sounds like it doesn't, so tick enable DHCP and set the range to 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.10

Once thats done you won't need to set any static IPs.

do ipconfig /renew in cmd on each laptop/pc after thats done

Blam

Strommer
01-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Ah sorry.

If it does, then disable it. But to me it sounds like it doesn't, so tick enable DHCP and set the range to 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.10

Once thats done you won't need to set any static IPs.

do ipconfig /renew in cmd on each laptop/pc after thats done

Blam

Thanks Blam. I have not done anything since early this afternoon as I had a job to finish away from the house.

Yes my modem has DHCP - I checked in the user manual. It is a Dynalink RTA1335 (http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=rta1335).

Stay tuned...

Strommer
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM

If it does, then disable it.

Blam, I think the problem is that I have entered the wrong IP addresses. I now have the desktop usb wireless adapter connected successfully to the router - I used WZC and then entered the WPA code successfully, but the icon in the system tray says "Status: Acquiring Network Address" (excellent signal, 54 Mbps).

I have not changed the Dynalink modem's IP address. (I did change the last number but then could not get into Tomato.)

Should the Wireless Network Connection IP address be: 192.168.1.2 (or should it end with a 1)?

Should the Default Gateway and the Preferred DNS Server be the same as the IP Address?

Do I need to put a number for the Alternate DNS Server? If so, I assume that the last number needs to be different than the IP Address and different than anything the modem has - correct?

Lastly, have a look at these settings (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Blam77.jpg) within Tomato - do I need to change any of these?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Should the Wireless Network Connection IP address be: 192.168.1.2 (or should it end with a 1)?

It should be a valid IP (within the router's ip range). Is the router's ip 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.2? If its 192.168.2.1 then the network adapter cant be 192.168.1.2 (I dont think it can go backwards).

Should the Default Gateway and the Preferred DNS Server be the same as the IP Address?

The same as what IP address?? The gateway should be the routers ip. The preferred dns can be the router's ip or your ISP's primary DNS server ip

Do I need to put a number for the Alternate DNS Server? If so, I assume that the last number needs to be different than the IP Address and different than anything the modem has - correct?

Yup it should be different (from the primary), if the primary ip is dead (hopefully the alternate one works). The primary and alternate ip's is WHAT gets whatever on the internet.

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi Steve, just got your PM.

Here's how you need to set it up. On your Asus WL-520GU, the cable must be plugged in to the WAN port that goes to your Router.

Then in the Tomato Web GUI ( http://192.168.1.1 ) you want to go to the Basic --> Network settings. Try the following:
Attached file: Tomato_Settings.png (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Tomato_Settings.png) (198 KB)
Those are my settings, they'll give you a good indication of whats what :)
Basically the biggie is probably that the LAN cable from the Modem to the Asus needs to be in the Asus WAN port.

Strommer
02-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks Chill.

The cable is correct - LAN cable from the Modem is in the Asus WAN port - the router user manual has a diagram showing the connections and I have done this from the start.

Thanks for the Tomato Settings screenshot. I will get on to it although I have a job to do this morning for a client so if I cannot solve the problem quickly it will be done later today.

Strommer
02-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Chill, are those Static DNS numbers (in your .png Tomato settings) your ISP numbers?

I have the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers from my modem, which must be from my ISP, Slingshot.

[edit] Should the DNS numbers for each of the usb wireless adapters be the same as my ISP's / the modem?

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
If you set all the DNS everywhere to 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 -- They're OpenDNS, free public servers that are heaps more reliable than any ISP in NZ ;)

So, can your laptop connect to the Wireless at all?
Click Start --> Run --> cmd
Type: ping 192.168.1.7 (Should be the IP of your Asus box) and post back :)

Strommer
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Speedy, Chill, Blam, et. al. -

If you set all the DNS everywhere to 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 -- They're OpenDNS, free public servers that are heaps more reliable than any ISP in NZ ;)

So, can your laptop connect to the Wireless at all?
Click Start --> Run --> cmd
Type: ping 192.168.1.7 (Should be the IP of your Asus box) and post back :)

Both the laptop and desktop (each uses wireless usb adapters) are connecting to the router. The icons in the system trays show that there is a connection, signal strength and speed of connection. I also put in the WPA security code and that was accepted, and the SSID (name of router) is shown on the wireless usb adapters. So this does not appear to be the problem - the wireless usb adapters have a connection with the 520GU router.

The problem is between the 520GU router and Dynalink modem. Cannot access the internet.

I have kept the 520GU IP address to the default setting: 198.168.1.1
Using the IP address that Chill had (in his .png screenshot) created a conflict and error message, and I had to reset the 520GU and upload the firmware again.

I have changed all of the DNS settings to be the same - that which I found on the Dynalink modem. This may be wrong. Speedy, you told me to use the DNS settings on Slingshot's site but I have searched there twice and could only find some comments on a Slingshot forum posting from last year. I could ring the Help Desk but that takes at least a 20 minute wait.

Chill, you said to change all DNS settings to OpenDNS. If I have to, I will, but I only just recently found how to change the Dynalink DNS settings. I am reluctant to screw up the modem which means I cannot get on :horrified the internet at all and post here on PF1. :o

If I do change the DNS settings, then should the OpenDNS settings be:
Primary DNS = 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS = 208.67.220.220

What should the Gateway numbers be?

There are 4 sets of {IP, Gateway, DNS} settings:
The 520GU, Dynalink modem, two wireless usb adapters.
Should the DNS numbers be the same on all four? (This is what I have now.)

Chill, when I changed the MTU setting (in Tomato) from Auto to Manual (as per your .png screenshot), the desktop wireless connection became "unavailable". Returning it to Auto restored the connection.

In Tomato (the router), I have not yet entered my ISP's host and domain names. I just found these when I entered the Dynalink settings. Not sure if it would make any difference.

Workgroup names - Speedy if you mean the name for the Router (SSID), yes, each wireless usb adapter detects the router's name. But I have not yet entered the host name (which is the Dynalink modem) in the router (Tomato GUI).

Suggestions welcome. :thanks

Strommer
02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
When I tried to change the 520GU's IP Address, using Tomato, I received this error message (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Chill___if_changed_routers_IP.jpg).

How do I release/renew your "clients address on the network"?

BTW, I just noticed that the Dynalink modem IP address is the same as the 520GU - 192.168.1.1 - could this be the problem?

BTW, in my post above I said:
"I have kept the 520GU IP address to the default setting: 198.168.1.1"
- I cannot check right now but I may have copied it wrong, it could be 192, not 198 - this is why I think the modem and router IP's could be the same.

Blam
02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Change the GUs IP to 192.168.1.2

It can't have been 198

To renew/release the IP go to command promp and type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

Blam

Strommer
02-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Change the GUs IP to 192.168.1.2

It can't have been 198

To renew/release the IP go to command promp and type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

Blam

As it turned out, I did not have to change the IP.
It was in fact 192.168.1.2

So I am back to the same problem:
Wireless usb adapters connect OK with the 520GU router, but I cannot connect to the internet.

There must be something wrong with the IP, DNS, Gateway settings.

:help: To repeat what I posted above: :help:

I have changed all of the DNS settings to be the same - that which I found on the Dynalink modem. This may be wrong. Speedy, you told me to use the DNS settings on Slingshot's site but I have searched there twice and could only find some comments on a Slingshot forum posting from last year. I could ring the Help Desk but that takes at least a 20 minute wait.

Chill, you said to change all DNS settings to OpenDNS. If I have to, I will, but I only just recently found how to change the Dynalink DNS settings. I am reluctant to screw up the modem which means I cannot get on the internet at all and post here on PF1. :horrified

If I do change the DNS settings, then should the OpenDNS settings be:
Primary DNS = 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS = 208.67.220.220

What should the Gateway numbers be?

There are 4 sets of {IP, Gateway, DNS} settings:
The 520GU, Dynalink modem, two wireless usb adapters.
Should the DNS numbers be the same on all four? (This is what I have now.)

Chill, when I changed the MTU setting (in Tomato) from Auto to Manual (as per your .png screenshot), the desktop wireless connection became "unavailable". Returning it to Auto restored the connection.

Workgroup names - Speedy if you mean the name for the Router (SSID), yes, each wireless usb adapter detects the router's name. But I have not yet entered the host name (which is the Dynalink modem) in the router (Tomato GUI).

-----

Maybe if I take the 520GU to a :waughh: cliff edge, it will start working??

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Change the DNS server ips to your ISP's not OpenDNS's. See what happens. If it gets on the net, then the ips for OpenDNS are screwed. The gateway ip should be the router's ip on all of them (192.168.2.1, if thats the router's ip).

You didnt look good enough (http://help.slingshot.co.nz/cgi-bin/slingshot.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=374) The DNS server ips are:

Primary DNS Server: 202.180.64.10
Secondary DNS Server: 202.180.64.11

Strommer
03-08-2009, 06:12 AM

Change the DNS server ips to your ISP's not OpenDNS's.

The gateway ip should be the router's ip on all of them (192.168.2.1, if thats the router's ip).

Thanks Speedy. Well, so much for my search attempts on Slingshot's site - I tried several mixes of words including DNS, IP, etc., but never went to the Help section, LOL. I am glad to see that the DNS numbers on Slingshot's help page are the same as what is in my Dynalink modem - at least something makes sense to me!

GATEWAY numbers - I think this is the problem.
I have been into the Dynalink modem-router management (http://192.168.1.1/) three times and I cannot find any way to change the Default Gateway number. Other numbers and settings can be changed but I only found a Quick Start Guide that automatically assigns the Default Gateway number. Unless someone has a bright idea I guess I will have to endure the 20+ minute wait on the Slingshot tech help line.

Changing the Gateway numbers on the two wireless adapters and on the 520GU router is no problem. The router's IP is 192.168.1.2 so that is what I make all the Gateway numbers.

Strommer
03-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Managed to change the Gateway on the Dynalink modem - using Network Connections > TCP/IP. Duh... have not had morning caffeine yet.

STILL NOT CONNECTED TO INTERNET via wireless.

??????

Summary: Wireless usb adapters to 520GU router are connected - no problem evident.
The problem appears to be between the 520GU router and Dynalink modem.
Is there some sort of diagnostic test I can do between the 520GU router and Dynalink modem?
IP's, DNS's and Gateways on all items (wireless router, modem, wireless adapters) are set as in Speedy's post #109.

?????

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Try this:
Set the Tomato LAN IP to: 192.168.10.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Static DNS: Whatever -- OpenDNS perhaps?

Now if the Dynalink Modem is 192.168.1.1 then set your Tomato WAN IP to:
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Whatever your Dynalink is).
MTU shouldnt matter, leave it as default.

Post back with the results :)

Strommer
03-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Try this:
Set the Tomato LAN IP to: 192.168.10.1
Static DNS: Whatever -- OpenDNS perhaps?

Now if the Dynalink Modem is 192.168.1.1 then set your Tomato WAN IP to:
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Whatever your Dynalink is).
MTU shouldnt matter, leave it as default.

Post back with the results :)

Is THIS (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/LAN_IP_for_Chill.jpg) where I change the LAN IP ?
You and I have different versions of Tomato so hopefully they are similar enough. I could not see anywhere else where I could alter the LAN. Presently the LAN is set at 192.168.1.2

The WAN IP is already at 192.168.1.2, so I don't need to change that.
Subnet Mask is also OK (I don't think that ever changes ASFAIK).

Gateway is already set to the Dynalink modem's IP; all the Gateways are the same, as per Speedy's instructions.

Is "Static DNS" the same as Primary DNS?
I think I have also see it as "Preferred DNS"?

Blam
03-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Thats DDWRT.

Download Tomato and flash it from the upgrade panel.

Strommer
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Thats DDWRT.

Download Tomato and flash it from the upgrade panel.

:illogical "Incorrect Image File" :confused:

I downloaded Tomato_1_25_ND.7z - this is the one specified for the 520GU.
unzipped it and used the result: tomato-ND.trx

I also tried using the Tomato file that Chill suggested last week:
tomato-ND-USB-8632-Std.trx

Used the DD-WRT admin page, Firmware Upgrade, and read the readme file that I found on the Tomato download page. AFAIK, I followed the instructions so why the %X#@! would it be "Incorrect Image File"?

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Rename it to a .bin and upload again :)

Strommer
03-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Rename it to a .bin and upload again :)

Renamed file, uploaded it, but got these:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/username_password.jpg

http://imagef1.net.nz/files/iprelease_failed_.jpg

As you can see, before clicking CONTINUE (with the upgrade) I tried: ipconfig/release, but this gave the error "no adapter is in the state permissible". :confused:

I then decided to check the ipconfig and found that the Dynalink modem/router has the 'old' config. I changed the IP, Gateway, DNS numbers using Network Connections > TCP/IP. I do not understand this but it seems to me that my pc has the old config while the modem itself has the changed configs. I know this is not relevant to the 520GU router but maybe this is a factor to consider later.

The new problem now is that I cannot even get into the DD-WRT user interface at http://192.168.1.2 - the username and password no longer works; previously I used 'root' and 'admin', but this no longer works and I have tried all combinations of admin / root, admin / [nil], admin / admin, ... etc. Maybe this has something to do with the IP RELEASE failure??

FWIW I had the pc's firewall, Comodo, disabled during the upgrade/upload. Also followed the instructions using reset button, etc. The only thing I have not done is to reboot the pc.

BTW Blam I would have thought that DD-WRT could have been used to change the LAN IP.

It is a good thing I am no hurry to get the wireless going because otherwise by this time I would have found a cliff to throw the 520GU off! :lol:

I am telling myself that I am learning more :nerd: tech-geek stuff, which is true, and surely this thread is entertaining a few people, but I keep hearing the guy down the road who works in DSE who showed me the wireless gear in his shop, explaining that such and such took ages to connect but another brand of gear only took 5 minutes to get working... :annoyed:

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Nah differing brands will by and large work together without a hitch.
Try:
ipconfig /release
Add the space after "ipconfig" ;-)

Now you've done the upgrade, try pressing & holding down the restore button on the WL-520GU for 6 seconds to restore to defaults. It will have tried to "import" some of the DD-WRT settings, and the password is not imported "correctly".

See here:
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#why_doesnt_my_password_work

Strommer
05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Nah differing brands will by and large work together without a hitch.
Try:
ipconfig /release
Add the space after "ipconfig" ;-)

Now you've done the upgrade, try pressing & holding down the restore button on the WL-520GU for 6 seconds to restore to defaults. It will have tried to "import" some of the DD-WRT settings, and the password is not imported "correctly".

See here:
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#why_doesnt_my_password_work

Thanks for the password info Speedy, but if you look at the screenshot carefully you will see that I did try with a space after "ipconfig" (and one without the space).

I have not done anything more with the 520GU due to other committments but may get on to it this evening.

Googling the IP Release problem, I found this:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

However, I will try to get Tomato installed without fiddling with the IP Release. ;) Maybe I did not keep the 520GU reset button pressed long enough.

Hopefully I will get Tomato up and running so I can enter the correct LAN IP adr, plus other IP's. If by some miracle I get this far, I would think the wireless system should connect to the internet. :)

Chilling_Silence
05-08-2009, 09:44 AM
You need to count slowly to 6 (Technically its 5 seconds, but I say 6, just to be certain). Watch the PWR light on the front, it'll change ...

SolMiester
05-08-2009, 09:46 AM
wow, this thread is still going....??

Chilling_Silence
05-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Yup :D

Steve_L -- I admire you for sticking it through and not giving up :)

Blam
05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
This thread is probably keeping a lot of members amused...:p

SolMiester
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I hate USB wireless LAN devices.....terribly.

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Nothing wrong with USB adapters. I've got 2 here. The only thing is, there are no drivers. I had the drivers on the old hdd (till it crashed). In the meantime the company (Zydas) were acquired by Atheros a few yrs ago. And they wont tell me WHERE to get the drivers! I sent them an email 2-3 days ago.

Which had more options in its config, than the drivers I managed to find using Windowsupdate in XP

I think the prob is, I need a better aerial on the router (the connection kept connecting / disconnecting). The router is in the lounge, one of the PC's is around the corner ( with a wall in between)

SolMiester
05-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Nothing wrong with USB adapters. I've got 2 here. The only thing is, there are no drivers. I had the drivers on the old hdd (till it crashed). In the meantime the company (Zydas) were acquired by Atheros a few yrs ago. And they wont tell me WHERE to get the drivers! I sent them an email 2-3 days ago.

Which had more options in its config, than the drivers I managed to find using Windowsupdate in XP

I think the prob is, I need a better aerial on the router (the connection kept connecting / disconnecting). The router is in the lounge, one of the PC's is around the corner ( with a wall in between)

Well, I disagree speedy, USB adapters are crap period....signal fluctuation, poor encryption options, USB 1.1 is not an option and they rely on the USB port for power therefore slow.

I consider them stop gap devices at best.

Strommer
05-08-2009, 02:55 PM
This thread is probably keeping a lot of members amused...:p

:D Most certainly! :lol:

Once I get Tomato onboard I'll probably start a new thread as the title of this thread is not exactly relevant.

If I could change the title of this thread I would make it:
"A wireless newbie jumps into the deep end"
or
"Murphy's Law alive and well in Masterton". :waughh:

Chill, the only reason I have not put the 520GU in the driveway and driven over it several times is the continual support I have from you, Speedy, Blam ... and probably a few others who will join us before I crack the wireless nut. :thumbs:

Stay tuned... I may get back to the 520GU this evening.

----

BTW Chill, the pwr light starts blinking after about 2 seconds - I always wait for that to happen.

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, I disagree speedy, USB adapters are crap period....signal fluctuation, poor encryption options, USB 1.1 is not an option and they rely on the USB port for power therefore slow.

Well true some maybe, but some also support WPA / WPA2 / PSK. And enterprise. Depends what you pay on what encryption they've got (altho this also depends on what the drivers install on what you get)

There's 12 ports on this, (and 3 on a PCI card), so why not use them? Saves me opening the case all the time.