PDA

View Full Version : My SKY v DVD recorder

timaru07
23-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi all

SWMBO is back at work and needs TV soaps "taped". Have had a look at the costs of MySky and DVD recorders and they both come in at about the same price.

Any comments on either?

Cheers
Francis

gary67
23-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Make your house a soap free zone

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 06:48 PM
If theyre free to air soaps get a USB tuner or something instead. I wouldnt waste my money getting sky just for soaps

timaru07
23-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Make your house a soap free zone

Regretfully not an option. And there is also for me Stanley Cup to watch at my leisure. Go PENGUINS!

timaru07
23-07-2009, 07:00 PM
If theyre free to air soaps get a USB tuner or something instead. I wouldnt waste my money getting sky just for soaps

Thanks for the idea, they are mostly free to air soaps, but we have no broadband here. The joys of living in the country!

Cheers
F

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 07:02 PM
You dont need broadband for a USB / PCI tuner, (for freeview you're not watching it online), but you need a good UHF aerial. Or a satellite dish, if you want freeview satellite

davidmmac
23-07-2009, 07:06 PM
If you already have Sky and are not considering canceling it in the near future, I'd consider My Sky as it integrates with the Sky EPG making it easy to use :).

pine-o-cleen
23-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Or do what Metla did and get a freeview decoder with PVR function.

Blam
23-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Cheap option=Get something like this:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Satellite-receivers/auction-231829544.htm

Then, buy an external 2.5" 160gb HD for around $100.

This means you can watch then all on one Hard drive, anytime

Blam

plod
23-07-2009, 09:21 PM
If you have sky and have no intentions on getting rid of it, then go mysky.
A seperate box is no suibstitute for a all in one device

Trev
23-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi all

SWMBO is back at work and needs TV soaps "taped". Have had a look at the costs of MySky and DVD recorders and they both come in at about the same price.

Any comments on either?

Cheers
Francis
I have Sky and a DVD Hard drive Recorder. IMHO I think MySky is a rip off. The advantage of having a DVD Hard Drive recorder is that you can use it at a later stage to record programs to DVD. You can also use it for recording old video tapes and putting them onto DVD. With MySky you can't do any of that. The disadvantage of the DVD recorder connected up to the Sky decoder is that you can only set it up to record one channel at a time, but if you have it connected to ordinary TV via the aerial socket you can use it like a video recorder ie set it up to record as many programs as you like within the limits of the recorder.
:)

gary67
24-07-2009, 06:57 AM
I have the same freeview as Metla and it works fine. Why didn't you say about the Stanley cup so much more important than soaps, almost as important as the FA cup

CYaBro
24-07-2009, 10:21 AM
If you already have Sky then MySkyHDi would be better as you would be able to record 2 channels at the same time while watching a 3rd or something you recorded earlier.

timaru07
24-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I have the same freeview as Metla and it works fine. Why didn't you say about the Stanley cup so much more important than soaps, almost as important as the FA cup

I concur sir.

Thanks for all the replies. Have an installation deal going so will get MySky and try it out. If we actually use it, get 'round to watching all that is recorded, will get to buying DVD recorder.

Thanks all
Francis

sarel
25-07-2009, 04:52 AM
My SWMBO tapes a lot on MySkyHDI and watches it while preparing schoolwork for the next day so a good recorder is a must.

sarel