PDA

View Full Version : IE7 & IE8

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi All.
A query about the above, please.

Have XP SP3 Home. Monitor is, Compaq FP7317. (An old 2nd hand donated one, which works fine.)

I am using Mozilla Firefox & I don't like it , I want to quit it & go back to IE. With Mozilla my screen is ok. The fonts are ok, The layout etc is ok.

In IE, either 7 or 8,the font goes huge & the text lines overlap. But...It seems to be only on intrenet stuff thro IE.

Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks PJ

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 12:14 PM
See what the font is set to under tools / internet options / general in IE. On here its set to times new roman / courier new and latin as the language script

Sweep
23-07-2009, 12:24 PM
You might also check out accessibility to ignore fonts in web pages and use what suits you.

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Neither 7 nor 8 is loaded at the moment, what do you both reccomend? PJ

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 12:43 PM
What about Google IE8? PJ

ronyville
23-07-2009, 12:54 PM
What about Google IE8? PJ

You mean Google Chrome? Give it a go, see if that works for you.

Agent_24
23-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Sounds like some problem with the zoom/font/accessibility settings

Do you use any of these? have you tried resetting IE to default settings?

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 01:16 PM
You mean Google Chrome? Give it a go, see if that works for you.

NO...Google MS IE8, look at RH side & see IE8 customised by Google. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Must be a customised version of IE then, I dont have that. Its MS's not Google's. The only thing I see on the right in IE here is Google the search engine

inphinity
23-07-2009, 01:19 PM
NO...Google MS IE8, look at RH side & see IE8 customised by Google. PJ

That's just IE8 with the Google toolbar preinstalled and Google set as the default search engine.

Blam
23-07-2009, 01:33 PM
That's just IE8 with the Google toolbar preinstalled and Google set as the default search engine.

Yeah:p

PJ,

1. Right Click Desktop + Choose “Properties”
2. In the Properties Window click on the “Appearance Tab” at the top.
3. In the Appearance Window click on the button called “Advanced”

In the drop down list one is for IE, from there you can change font sizes etc

Blam

MushHead
23-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Just curiously - what about Firefox don't you like? The vanilla IE7 behaves pretty much the same way as FF for most things. I use a FF add-on called IETab that lets you create tabs in FF that use the IE renderer. You can set it up so that any sites (eg Microsoft) will automatically use IE. That way you get the best of both worlds - a better (IMHO), more secure & customisable browser most of the time, plus you can also view sites that require IE, all with the same interface.

You should already have IE7 installed - it's one of the default items in Windows Update. If you haven't, I'd recommend that you get the upgrade regardless, as Windows may use IE's HTML rendering functions in unexpected places, not just in the browser. There's been a number of security holes in IE & you may expose yourself to them even if you don't use the browser.

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I did what speedy said. I changed the font to Times. Courier & Latin were ok. In accessability, formatting is..1st box unticked, 2nd & 3rd boxes ticked.

I did as blam6 said & changed font size to Normal.

I googled IE8 & read the reports, then decided to go for IE7. Now I have changed things All the sites that were "bad" seem alright so it would appear to be fixed. For that I thank you all.

As to Firefox. I did not like nor come to terms with that "Quit Drop Down" option.

As a matter of interest, the font type & size have changed on this page!! PJ

Ah, only what I type, not what appears on PF1.

MushHead
23-07-2009, 02:06 PM
As to Firefox. I did not like nor come to terms with that "Quit Drop Down" option.

Can you be more specific? - What is the Quit drop down option?

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Can you be more specific? - What is the Quit drop down option?

Quit & Save Tabs....Quit Tabs....Cancel.

When you want to close whatever is onscreen you are given these options. PJ

Blam
23-07-2009, 08:51 PM
FIrefox gives you those options too...

Save, Save and Quit, Cancel..

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 09:12 PM
FIrefox gives you those options too...

Save, Save and Quit, Cancel..

Thats what I was trying to say, thanks. PJ

Blam
23-07-2009, 09:15 PM
What about those options? You don't like them?

MushHead
23-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't recall ever seeing that option (an add-on??). There's a setting (under Tools/Options/Tabs) that controls whether FF warns you about closing multiple tabs, but I turned that off first time it asked & never seen it again. Just File/Exit or Alt-F4 or clicking Close box instantly shuts down the program.

Sweep
23-07-2009, 09:42 PM
PoppaJohn,

I can't see what you see from here.

You had to have a version of IE installed possibly IE6 in order for you to see the diffence in fonts when browsing but you say that IE7 or IE8 not loaded.

IE8 works for me but you also do not want firefox either.

Did a person reformat and reinstall your operating system in order for you to get the printer working?

MushHead
23-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Right, just had a look at that option again once I turned it on. I think this is what you're after.

When you get asked to save before exit again, just choose "Do not ask next time" & choose the desired option. Next time it won't ask (strange, that!).

Sweep
23-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I did what speedy said. I changed the font to Times. Courier & Latin were ok. In accessability, formatting is..1st box unticked, 2nd & 3rd boxes ticked.

I did as blam6 said & changed font size to Normal.

I googled IE8 & read the reports, then decided to go for IE7. Now I have changed things All the sites that were "bad" seem alright so it would appear to be fixed. For that I thank you all.

As a matter of interest, the font type & size have changed on this page!! PJ

Ah, only what I type, not what appears on PF1.

What you type in a box here can be changed.

By default you get a Verdana Font.

But you can change it to Arial Black or another font like comic sans or Impact.