PDA

View Full Version : Acronis Restoration

minster
23-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I am waiting for a new hard drive to arrive to replace a faulty one.
Before sending away the old drive for replacement, I made a full acronis backup consisting of 100GB "C" drive and 60 GB "E" drive and have this .tib file safely on an external.
Do I need to prepare the new hard drive ie, format or partition it before it will boot up and accept the acronis disc image?
As a new drive I imagine that it will not exist until it is formatted but how do you format a "C" drive when it is the only drive?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Either do a reinstall or connect it to the pc youre on now (or any other PC) before you send the hdd back.

minster
23-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Sent it away 2 days ago Speedy:)
Are you saying that I need to connect it to spare PC and format it, then instal into good PC and run acronis restoration of "C" drive?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I've never used it so dont know if the hdd needs to be formatted first, before you restore the image. Only way to find out, is to try it. If it brings up and error, you'll have to format it first. There should be info on the site or in the help file

wainuitech
23-07-2009, 10:31 AM
What " Should happen" -- Install the new HDD in the PC, leave it completely blank

Boot the PC from bootable CD that you can make in Acronis -( you should have already made this) ( if you haven't made the CD load Acronis on another PC and make it) -- Tell it to restore - it will locate the new Drive and ask for the Image .tib location - point it to the external Drive.

Once it locates it, follow the on screen instructions to recover the saved data.

NOW as long as you have made a complete Disk image, it will put back the OS, both partitions, all data.

Once finished restoring, reboot and you will have a fully working OS, with programs, data the lot.

minster
23-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Thank's Wainui.
You say "It will locate the new drive"

Acronis boot disc will find a blank hard drive and also recognise the external drive where the .tib is located?
Certainly makes things a lot easier than mucking about fitting new hdd to external or spare pc and reformatting first.
Much appreciated!

wainuitech
23-07-2009, 10:47 AM
yep " should do". It will find / show the drive as blank.

Notice I say "Should"

I use Acronis with universal restore to dump in an XP image if I need to do a fast install for customers, (takes about 10-15 minutes) then when it reboots change the user details and product key.

Never had to pre format a drive yet, the main item that changes is the original Image was made on a 80GB drive, so when installing on a Larger drive I need to check its auto adjusted to the full capacity.

Blam
23-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Most imaging programs let you choose whether to retain the original partition structure or customise your own.

AFAIK Acronis does it for you automatically so you shouldn't need to worry..

If Acronis doesn't recognise it, you won't need to slave it to another PC, just grab any old linux live disc, or BART PE or recovery console and format it.\

Blam

Strommer
23-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Minster, a few days ago I used Acronis to restore an image from .tib files. I was surprised how quickly Acronis restored WinXP and the programs I had on the image files. Like Blam and Wainui said, Acronis should find the new drive and guide you through the process; I cannot recall if one of the steps was to format the drive first but whatever it was easy-peasy.

BTW, be sure to make Acronis images (.tib's) from the bootable disk and not from the Acronis program running on your OS. Theoretically either method of making .tib's should be OK, but even running the "validation" step may not mean that the .tib image is good.

Misty
23-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I have Acronis TU v9.0. Help on it says

If there are any partitions on the new disc, they must be deleted first
Misty :2cents:

minster
23-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes, I have no worries regarding Acronis ability to restore everything as I've used V11 & V12 many times in the past but never had to restore an image to a brand new (unformatted) hard drive before.

gary67
23-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Minster, a few days ago I used Acronis to restore an image from .tib files. I was surprised how quickly Acronis restored WinXP and the programs I had on the image files. Like Blam and Wainui said, Acronis should find the new drive and guide you through the process; I cannot recall if one of the steps was to format the drive first but whatever it was easy-peasy.

BTW, be sure to make Acronis images (.tib's) from the bootable disk and not from the Acronis program running on your OS. Theoretically either method of making .tib's should be OK, but even running the "validation" step may not mean that the .tib image is good.

I use the scheduler in Acronis to do one full weekly backup and then daily incremental backups to another comp with a large drive and have had to use the back up once, it just worked, unfortunately you can't do this using the live CD as you would have to physically be at the comp to put the disc in etc, so although it is better to use the live CD it's not always possible :nerd:

paulw
23-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Wainui,

Does Acronis boot disc recognize external USB drives OK??

minster
23-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Wainui,

Does Acronis boot disc recognize external USB drives OK??

Yes, I keep all my Acronis .tib files on external usb hard drives and when wanting to restore I just boot with Acronis disc and it asks where to look for backup file. Gives quite a few options (usb, dvd hdd etc)

gary67
23-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Yes it does it also does network drives

wainuitech
23-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Wainui,

Does Acronis boot disc recognize external USB drives OK?? Usually it does - I have two USB 2.5" drives with .tib images of various flavors.

The one I use for loading in a "quick Customer" Install is on a 2GB USB Drive.

paulw
24-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanx Guys. We stuck a problem here at work where on of our guys used Ghost 2003 for his backups to a USB drive. He had a problem but the Ghost boot disk would not recognize the USB drive. Will download a trial copy and do some testing..

Strommer
24-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I use the scheduler in Acronis to do one full weekly backup and then daily incremental backups to another comp with a large drive and have had to use the back up once, it just worked, unfortunately you can't do this using the live CD as you would have to physically be at the comp to put the disc in etc, so although it is better to use the live CD it's not always possible :nerd:

Regarding daily incremental backups - let's say every Friday a full backup is made and 6 days later on, Thursday, the hd dies or OS gets corrupted requiring a reinstall from the .tib files.

Would you have to first reinstall the full backup file(s) and then do 6 separate reinstalls using each of the incremental backups?

If this is so, and if there is enough space on the separate hd, would it be better to do differential backups?

gary67
24-07-2009, 08:19 PM
No they work the same I think, last time I did it I just set it going and walked away

Strommer
24-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks Gary.

Does anyone know what the advantage would be doing differential backups? I have read several times about incremental vs differential, but cannot get my head around it for some reason.

Blam
24-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe this'll help:)

http://www.acronis.com/resource/solutions/backup/2005/incremental-backups.html

Strommer
24-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks but I have read that page already. As I said, " I have read several times about incremental vs differential... ". I was hoping that a kind PF1er would give me an answer in simple terms, e.g. "Differential backups are a pain because they...."

minster
24-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Okay back to the original topic:)
Got a brand new 500GB hard drive today, fitted it in my PC, powered up with the Acronis disc in tray, pointed it in the general direction of my old 160gb drives backup (.tib) file that was on an external, clicked ok a couple of times and 45 minutes later I had a fully working computer.
It reinstalled "C" and "E" drives (Total 160GB) exactly as they had been previously on my failed 160 drive and left an "unpartitioned space of about 330gb that can be used for whatever.
Thanks for your replies:)

Strommer
24-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Terrific. Glad it went smoothly for you minster. Acronis has to be the one of the best programs I have (freeware excepted). It is a huge relief and nice satisfaction to get everything back on a new hd, quick and easy.

R.M.
25-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Okay back to the original topic:)
Got a brand new 500GB hard drive today, fitted it in my PC, powered up with the Acronis disc in tray, pointed it in the general direction of my old 160gb drives backup (.tib) file that was on an external, clicked ok a couple of times and 45 minutes later I had a fully working computer.
It reinstalled "C" and "E" drives (Total 160GB) exactly as they had been previously on my failed 160 drive and left an "unpartitioned space of about 330gb that can be used for whatever.
Thanks for your replies:)

That's exactly what I needed to know. :)

Except in my case I only will only have a 100gb C drive and will then have to partition the remaining about 400gb - I guess I can manage that...

Blam
25-07-2009, 12:05 PM
You can expand your drive again with something like Gparted.

R.M.
26-07-2009, 09:12 AM
A question for Blam - and anyone else! Thoughts from through the middle of the night!

Could I/should I just install Windows XP Pro (OS) on the new drive when it comes and is installed (and that way I get to partition the way I want) and THEN reinstall my Acronis C Drive back up from the external drive?

And apologies to Minster for hijacking your thread, but my questions sound sort of similar - I'm just a few days behind you...

minster
26-07-2009, 09:28 AM
R.M.
Just throw your 100GB acronis file into your new drive and when finished you can just go to,
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Open Disk Management @ left and you will see and be able to resize/partition your spare space how you want.
Just right click on the space you wish to change and follow directions

Hope this is what you need:)

gary67
26-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I would do it Minsters way

R.M.
26-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Sounds absolutely great to me! :)

Now - on with the housework... :(

Blam
26-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Ministers way may not necessarily work because:

a) If R.M has XP the inbuilt disk management tool cannot shrink/extend partitions

b) Vista/7's inbuilt tool does not always work with the system partition due to unmovable files.

Cheers
Blam

R.M.
26-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Ministers way may not necessarily work because:

If R.M has XP the inbuilt disk management tool cannot shrink/extend partitions

Ok Blam - then would my thoughts from the middle of the night work ie install Windows XP first (which includes partitioning), then install the Acronis backup?

gary67
26-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Well it will work but is a very long winded way of doing something that can be done much quicker and easier by using your image then just resizing the partitions with something like Gparted

R.M.
26-07-2009, 12:57 PM
OK- I'll have to get gparted.

I'm sort of working under difficulties here - the main drive on the Desktop is dead, but I'm running it under Linux Live... :) Off a cd. New experience!

Blam
26-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Gparted would be the easiest method here.

Partitioning can sometimes corrupt data, so keep backups ready:)

minster
26-07-2009, 01:41 PM
As I understand RM's original comment, he/she has got a new 500GB hard drive (blank) and has an acronis image (tib file) of the old "C" drive that needs to be added to the new hard drive?
If this is correct then the method I outlined above will be a very short and uncomplicated way of achieving a happy outcome and requires no 3rd party software to be installed.

Blam
26-07-2009, 01:59 PM
As I understand RM's original comment, he/she has got a new 500GB hard drive (blank) and has an acronis image (tib file) of the old "C" drive that needs to be added to the new hard drive?
If this is correct then the method I outlined above will be a very short and uncomplicated way of achieving a happy outcome and requires no 3rd party software to be installed.

Let me make this clear:

XP's disk manager DOES NOT EXTEND PARTITIONS

R.M.
26-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Latest update...

Offending HDD out (much muttering by 'himself').
Running on Linux Live at the moment - surprisingly good, but none of the periperals work (printers etc).

The B.... laptop will now NOT boot. :( It's a Toshiba Satelite A100). It starts to boot, the line (on the Toshiba slashscreen) moves along so far, but not to the end - and that's all. So, won't boot up Linux, won't respond to the two suggested booting options (F2 or f12).

Took the battery out (what else would you do!), gave it a rest (more for the good of MY soul) - haven't thrown it at the wall yet, but more constructive suggestions would be welcome! :)

gary67
26-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Your linux live should have gparted on it already, so no need to download it again

R.M.
26-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Your linux live should have gparted on it already, so no need to download it again

Oh, does it? I'll have to look at it more closely. :)

gary67
26-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Yes under system usually see here (http://www.techotopia.com/images/0/0d/Ubuntu_desktop_with_desklets.jpg) third option on the top for ubuntu

R.M.
26-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I was wrong when I said 'Linux Live' - it actually is 'Konqueror' - and no, I don't see gparted there. :(

However, I DO have gparted downloaded (before the lappy died) so have that on a cd. Had a quick look at it.

Blam
26-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Konqueror is the file browser/internet browser:p

As for the laptop problem...can if access the BIOS fine?

R.M.
26-07-2009, 05:34 PM
As for the laptop problem...can if access the BIOS fine?

No, don't think so.

Blam
26-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Oh crap..:p

You might want to hire a computer tech-this sound like its likely a hardware problem....

R.M.
26-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh crap..:p

You might want to hire a computer tech-this sound like its likely a hardware problem....

Thought that - all parcelled up for 'himself' to deliver to the 'fixit' shop tomorrow. :(

In the meantime I'm out to take some photos of the nightlife in Invers...

PPp
27-07-2009, 09:52 PM
RM this site, http://www.techsupportalert.com/partitioning-hard-drives-2.htm is a useful guide to using Gparted especially if your not familar with Linux terminology.

Strommer
27-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Hey Blam, I want to admit that I finally read that page and it made sense - easily understood. When I read it earlier I must have had Sarah Palin on the telly at the same time - or some other reason to 'dumb me down'. :waughh:

Blam
27-07-2009, 11:08 PM
;)