PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for reinstalling OS (again!)

R.M.
23-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Some of you will be aware that I'm getting ready to replace my HDD with the OS shortly. I'm not that experienced at this (having watched my son x1 and done it myself with your help x1).

A thought through the night (as one does!) - I use a wireless mouse. Is this likely to cause my problems doing this? I can't find the old, ordinary mouse at this stage - but it must be there somewhere.

I'm expecting the bag that Ascent is sending for the HDD to arrive today, then the old drive will be out and I await the new one... So I'll be off the air for a few days. Bother!

As always - TIA. :)

pctek
23-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Wireless, hmmm, could do. Best to have a wired one handy in case. Although you can do everything with keyboard you know - it's just a pain to do so.

Blam
23-07-2009, 02:23 PM
WHat kind of mouse?

Pretty much all wireless mice have drivers in Xp/Vista and 7, so you shouldn't need to worry too much.

If all fails you could use mouse keys:p

Blam

R.M.
23-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Some in the electronic service industry has just suggested to me that if I had a mirror image of my drive (I have several Acronis images of the OS drive) that I could just copy it on to the new drive.

I have on an external drive a few Acronis images of the OS drive. What are your thoughts about this? Is it:

1. Possible?
2. Advisable?

If this was to work - I presume one would partition the drive (I want it that way) and instead of loadings Windows XP Pro I would run the Acronis disk...

I await your comments with interest. :)

rumpty
23-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes, that is what images are for, among other things

The Acronis software will lead you through the procedure, incuding the partitioning, I think

Blam
23-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Its possible, yes

Acronis actually provides a cloning feature-just use that:)

Or, since this is a seagate drive just use Seatools, which is Acronis really..

R.M.
23-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Ah - I'd better rush to the Acronis manual for enlightenment! :thanks

R.M.
23-07-2009, 05:57 PM
An addition to the above post.

Umm - I have to take the old drive out and send it back to Ascent before I get sent the new drive...

Previously, when restoring data/info from the Acronis Backup, I put the Acronis disk into the DVD drive, reboot and when Acronis fires up, I then point it to the file on the external drive (which contains an image of the OS drive in total) and after about 30minutes, all is go, with everything back in it's right place again. But, of course, I've forgotten about the partitioning...

Blam
23-07-2009, 06:04 PM
It should retain its original partition structure.

R.M.
23-07-2009, 06:28 PM
That would beat standing on my head behind the 'puter waggling cables getting the 'other half' to identify what's wiggling on top for three days! Makes him distinctly grizzley. :(

gary67
23-07-2009, 06:35 PM
If it's a full image it will reinstate the partitions as they were when the image was made

R.M.
23-07-2009, 06:58 PM
No - it is only a full image of the C Drive (100gb) with the rest (400gb or thereabouts) not included in the image.

Wouldn't I then be able to repartition the drive (after putting the image of C Drive on)? Or is that a silly statement? :blush:

Misty
23-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi RM
It seems to me that since you should not partition the new drive before you re-install the OS, that you do the re-partition afterwards. After all once you have the OS on the new drive why would it be any different than other situations ?

Having said that, as you know I am pretty inexperienced compared with others so you would be well advised to wait to see what they say !

Seems logical though !
Misty :2cents:

feersumendjinn
23-07-2009, 08:37 PM
You can partition the drive after installing the OS, but can be tricky/ dicey if it goes haywire, much safer to partition and format the drive first.
This'll help
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1778

Misty
23-07-2009, 09:01 PM
much safer to partition and format the drive first.

I have Acronis TU v9.0. Help on it says

If there are any partitions on the new disc, they must be deleted first
Misty :confused: :confused:

Sweep
23-07-2009, 09:11 PM
A brand new hard drive on arrival is not ( or should not be ) partitioned in any event. You get a drive and partition it the way you want and also format the drive(s) that you create.

An install of the O/S hopefully will find the new hard drive but a partition has to be set up in which to install the O/S. This is normally a Primary partition and if you want to dual boot you need more than one primary. An extended partiton will not be bootable.

A partition can hold more than one logical drive as in an extended partition.

For instance you may decide to get a 1 terabyte drive and make one partition as the boot drive say 200 Gig. that will leave about 800 Gig left over in which you can make as many logical drives at a size that suits you.

Also be aware that making too many logical drives could make you run out of drive letters. Ever noticed that when you plug in a USB stick or a camera you get another drive? Plug in a USB external drive you will get another drive letter or more?

Take your USB thumb drive to a mate's place then try to figure what drive letter it comes up with. Did not notice that this person has a printer with a card reader which may have four drive letters. Oh. It is drive x at my place but I found the info on drive y here.

A physical drive is one lump. The drive can or may contain up to four partitions and each partition may contain logical drives

Misty
23-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Sweep - very readable and understandable !
Misty :)

Sweep
23-07-2009, 09:50 PM
No worries. I tried to explain it the best I could.

As to your specific problem when you plug in a slave drive you will notice drive letters have changed once more. Used to be C: and D:

But now it is J: and K: etc.

Sweep
23-07-2009, 10:15 PM
You can partition the drive after installing the OS, but can be tricky/ dicey if it goes haywire, much safer to partition and format the drive first.
This'll help
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1778

Excuse me for asking but how do you install any operating system on a hard drive without a partition? You can delete partitions and/or drives.

You can use unallocated space to create a partition and you can resize partitions or create new drives etc.

A hard drive has to have at least one partition in order to install an operating system.

In the event you have installed an operating sys on the hard drive you can use tools to resize the partition and/or drives contained within.

Your link talks about win98, ME and XP. No mention about Vista or Win7

feersumendjinn
24-07-2009, 01:21 AM
This is how it's done, Sweep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

How it works

This article is specific to disk cloning on the x86 platform; specific details may not apply to other platforms.

To provision the hard disk of a computer without using disk cloning software, the following steps are generally required for each computer:

1. Create one or more partitions on the disk
2. Format each partition to create a file system on it
3. Install the operating system
4. Install device drivers for the particular hardware
5. Install application software

With disk cloning, this is simplified to:

1. Install the first computer, as above.
2. Create an image of the hard disk (optional)
3. Clone the first disk, or its image, to the remaining computers

I have done this myself.

:mad: Grrr

Your link talks about win98, ME and XP. No mention about Vista or Win7
R.M mentioned XP Pro in post #4.

(This is a quote from my original link) If you are replacing your current drive but not cloning its contents to the new drive, put your Windows CD in the drive and boot from it. You will be prompted during the first part of setup to partition and format your drive; if you are using Windows 2000, XP or Vista, make sure to use the NTFS file system.

Why be so pedantic (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showpost.php?p=787805&postcount=14)? :annoyed:

My apologies to the original poster.

Sweep
24-07-2009, 03:19 AM
The original poster has images made by Acronis and could clone the image onto a new hard drive as you say. Multiple images of C:\ Clone whatever image

Say that it is WinXP pro which is probably correct.

I also do not know what size the new hard drive will be either for that matter. It may be that R.M. may get a 750 Gig Hard drive as a replacement. Let us assume that R.M. gets an exact replacement for the drive being sent back.

Was the whole drive imaged or just one partition? According to R.M. there is a full image of the C: drive but no image of another partition or logical drive which I think exists. A 500 Gig drive which is 100 Gig C:\ or the boot drive. Another drive which is around 400 Gig which is not imaged so we are told.

So using your method we do not need to be worried about the 400 Gig left over do we?

You go rescue the data when it turns to custard.

The Wikipedia article is flat out wrong in the first part where all you have to do with a raw or unpartitioned hard drive is to set the BIOS to boot from a bootable media such as a CD or DVD or Floppy or a USB drive and follow the steps which will get you a partition to install the operating system on. With XP Pro you can install the O/S and have unallocated space where you can create more partitions and or logical drives within partitions.

Thanks also for bringing up the "pedantic" bit.

I may be considered that way but I do try to read posts very carefully.

Perhaps I should have a more careful look at your posts.