PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Internet

pctek
23-07-2009, 08:00 AM
What, other than a firewall could block the net?

PC has no firewall other than the XP one. AVG (uninstalled it). Spybot (without Teatimer) and Malware Bytes.

Can ping ok, but neither IE nor FF will show a web page.
Works fine in safe mode.

It's been scanned and de-spywared.

No odd processes running, HJT doesn't show anything suspicious.

Also weird is OE opened 8 times on one double click.

Safari
23-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Is OE working or can you not get any traffic.

inphinity
23-07-2009, 08:52 AM
When you go in to safe mode, is it the same user account as having the problem in normal mode?

pctek
23-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Safe mode works fine with the sole user on it.
OE doesn't work either.

I'm beginning to suspect the router - they have a Farmside modem attached to a 4 port router. One PC works - off the one cable. Haven't got her to try swapping ports yet. Tricky as she is miles away. I did all this over the phone last night, getting her to do stuff and read things to me.
She's bringing it up today.

inphinity
23-07-2009, 09:56 AM
The ping test that was done, I presume was pinging a domain rather than an IP, to confirm name resolution is working?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Could be the router, malware can hit one. Reset it / configure it

Erayd
23-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Bad proxy settings? I've seen that on numerous occasions, and that would produce the symptoms you describe.

Blam
23-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Bad proxy settings? I've seen that on numerous occasions, and that would produce the symptoms you describe.

Thats likely, happens so often at school its NOT funny:p

pctek-Tried Winsockfix?

pctek
23-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd had her run Winsock last night - I leave copies of all that stuff on their PCs (I"d fixed this before).

Anyway, took me 5 minutes. NORTONS!!!
Surprise, surprise. It had been uninstalled on all 3, but two lost the net (leftovers doing their thing). I thought it sounded firewallish to me. hah.

Nortons Removal worked OK on one, not on the other, a manual regedit fixed it.
Amazing the amount of rubbish it leaves behind.

Evil program.

CYaBro
23-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I'd had her run Winsock last night - I leave copies of all that stuff on their PCs (I"d fixed this before).

Anyway, took me 5 minutes. NORTONS!!!
Surprise, surprise. It had been uninstalled on all 3, but two lost the net (leftovers doing their thing). I thought it sounded firewallish to me. hah.

Nortons Removal worked OK on one, not on the other, a manual regedit fixed it.
Amazing the amount of rubbish it leaves behind.

Evil program.

Yea, it's so evil I had a customer who brought their laptop in with a brand new copy of Norton 360 they bought.
They had tried to install it but couldn't.
I tried to install it but couldn't.
Following instructions on Symantec's website was like trying to read a book written in a different language. I couldn't understand most of it so don't know how they expect a typical home user to follow it!
Nothing on Symantec's website helped get the software installed so they bought NOD32 :punk

pctek
23-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I tried to install it but couldn't.

I wouldn't have tried.

This woman, when she first bought the PCs to me for fixing, she'd just bought Nortons so it was all new and installed. I made her dump it.

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I had the same problem, except Nortons was allowing through HTTPS connections, so the link to my bank was working just fine but nothing else did.

Glad you fixed it up :D

Agent_24
23-07-2009, 05:44 PM
It's an understatement to say that Norton is evil

R2x1
23-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Being merely evil would be an improvement of several orders of magnitude for Norton$.
Fortunately it only affects Windows computers, so no real harm can be done ;)

Gobe1
24-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Ya know R2x1, im getting the feeling (slightly) that you dont kinda like windows?