PDA

View Full Version : Law on car window tints?

--Wolf--
22-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Anyone know what the current law on car window tints are?

Asking because I'm seeing more and more newer cars with really dark tints (some even look 5%), and I'm assuming they're either factory or legal.

Is there a law that says newer cars (certain year(s)?) can have darker tints? Because as far as I'm aware, anything darker than 35% is illegal. Even saw a new Ford ute the other day with a full tinted front windscreen, couldn't even see the driver.

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Probably what it says here (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=48&topicid=34194) and here (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/39.html)

Phil B
22-07-2009, 09:40 PM
If the car has black side windows as factory standard, that's ok. The rear screen unless factory black has to be 35%. If you tint your glass, it's 35%. No overlay on the windscreen

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service-wof-only/

robbyp
22-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Anyone know what the current law on car window tints are?

Asking because I'm seeing more and more newer cars with really dark tints (some even look 5%), and I'm assuming they're either factory or legal.

Is there a law that says newer cars (certain year(s)?) can have darker tints? Because as far as I'm aware, anything darker than 35% is illegal. Even saw a new Ford ute the other day with a full tinted front windscreen, couldn't even see the driver.

I find them really dangerous when cycling alongside parked cars on the street. This is becuase you don't know if there are people in the parked car when you are coming up to them from behind, and more often than not there is, and they open their door just as you pass them and they don't see you.

Phil B
22-07-2009, 09:58 PM
No sympathy. Pushbikes are extremely dangerous on Aucklands roads

Nomad
22-07-2009, 10:42 PM
No sympathy. Pushbikes are extremely dangerous on Aucklands roads

lol, let's ban push bikes then, cars only for Auckland :dogeye:

Phil B
22-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Don't get me started on the pushbikes :angry:ban

R2x1
22-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Me too - I find it pretty hard to get started on pushbikes. Everywhere is uphill.

Nomad
22-07-2009, 11:18 PM

lol ur a funny guy - ban ROFL .. u seem pretty elite.

robbyp
22-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I find them really dangerous when cycling alongside parked cars on the street. This is becuase you don't know if there are people in the parked car when you are coming up to them from behind, and more often than not there is, and they open their door just as you pass them and they don't see you.

Not in Auckland, cycling in the suburbs of Wellington. Considering we are pumping millions into a national cycle way, and cycling is supposed to be the 'green' way and it is very PC at the moment, it is supposed to be encouraged.

However I know someone last year who crashed into someone opening a drivers door who wasn't looking, and the cyclist was then run over by a truck driver. I don't know what happened to the car driver, as they should have checked before opening the door, but I suppose it could be manslaughter when that happens.

Cato
23-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Tints are at officer's discretion, they try to see if they can see their hand through the tinted-windows.
If you have a sticker saying 35% or some such, they don't usually care too much.

Anything on the windscreen is illegal. (Except a line at the top, not sure of legality, but cops don't seem to mind)

I often go riding around in trucks, and the one thing i have noticed...

Going up the Bombays (northbound), it's not uncommon for w*nk*rs on pushbikes to grab on to trucks to get a nice ride.

I can't believe that people can be so stupid...

Last saturday, between the bottom of the Bombays and Mercer... Two pushbikes got crushed... This was before 5am. (Can't confirm 100%, but traffic was deverted on SH2 and there were crushed bike wheels on SH1)

Is there really a need for this?

wratterus
23-07-2009, 02:42 PM
My FX GT has 35% on the back and rear windows, 15% on the front and the standard 'strip' along the top of the windscreen, went to VTNZ as I wasn't sure how dark they were legally allowed to be, they were happy with the lot.

johcar
23-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Tints are at officer's discretion, they try to see if they can see their hand through the tinted-windows.
If you have a sticker saying 35% or some such, they don't usually care too much.

Anything on the windscreen is illegal. (Except a line at the top, not sure of legality, but cops don't seem to mind)

I often go riding around in trucks, and the one thing i have noticed...

Going up the Bombays (northbound), it's not uncommon for w*nk*rs on pushbikes to grab on to trucks to get a nice ride.

I can't believe that people can be so stupid...

Last saturday, between the bottom of the Bombays and Mercer... Two pushbikes got crushed... This was before 5am. (Can't confirm 100%, but traffic was deverted on SH2 and there were crushed bike wheels on SH1)

Is there really a need for this?

Was this the hit and run where a couple of guys on bikes (riding to raise money for charity, I believe) got rear-ended and thrown down the riverbank by the impact?

If they find the driver they should string him up by his testicles.

If they can find them, that is - I suspect, because he ran, he has no balls....

MAC_H8ER
23-07-2009, 03:40 PM
max for any aftermarket addition for tints is 35% all round EXCEPT windsheild

just dont get a friend to do it

when i was contemplating tints on my car a mate said hed do it for a box of beer - sounds good dunnit?

then i saw his car - his fresh tints were already peeling and were FULL of air pockets

a week later they wernt on the car any more - why? cause he rolled the window down and it just peeled off on the spot :stare:

suddenly the mates rates deal didint look so tempting :blush:

prefect
23-07-2009, 03:50 PM
A lot of cyclists are pretty arrogant around here in WA.
They pedal through reds dont wait inline for lights dont signal with their arms.
They dont pay any money towards the roads but bleat like hell when they get knocked off their bikes. Never had a cyclist pay for scratches they have caused on my buses they think the fact they have an accident is enough punishment.
I dont think cyclists having a say about tinted windows is warranted until they curb their behavior at intersections and pedaling abreast.

Nomad
23-07-2009, 06:15 PM
A work colleague was hit with a car .. but the car didn't stop. Just a hit and run.