PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of win7 thus far

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Half of you probably won't care, and I'm not wanting to start an OS war (:ban) but anyways I thought I'd share with the world my first thoughts on the latest Win7 release.

Installation:
It was nice and painless, very very few options, there was a help button to assist me on my decision to Upgrade from my current OS (XP Pro) which I cant do anyways, or to install fresh (Custom). A few things bugged me like when I open the "Help" window on the side it wont let me focus the main window while its still open, but lets be honest I'm just nitpicking.
I had 20GB unpartitioned so it was a real non-event installing it really
Multiple reboots still bug me. My external HDD isnt supported by my current BIOS (1.5TB too big for it I guess) so it hangs on reboots if its plugged in during POST. A PITA, so I unplugged it during the whole ordeal.
Post-installation it was nice and guided me through creating a UserID with password (Strongly recommended now, nice!). It suggested I name the computer and implied my username was to help distinguish me on a network. I thought "That could confuse some people", but then again if that would confuse them, they probably shouldn't be installing an OS, lets be real here ;)

First (real) boot:
It now has a nicer boot splash screen, instead of just "loading" the windows logo comes together, then they sort of ripple / wave to indicate its still doing stuff. I don't remember that being there last time, but then again I barely paid any attention (Have terrible memory anyways).
Once logged in, the default screen is "different", but not all that bad. I'm glad they don't ask me during install like with Vista, but again thats just my preference. Desktop looks clean enough, still the same desktop I'm used to, but looks a bit more like KDE4. There's also a screenshot sort of tool called snippy which will no doubt be useful at some point in time...

Initial setup to my liking:
First thing I notice is that the taskbar wont shrink, its "double" the size of the standard XP. Kinda bugged me at first, but lets be honest, my resolution is so big I don't really care.
I still hate IE, but its relatively snappy, all things considered... still doesnt "feel" as quick on its feet, but maybe I'm just too biased to be objective. It even shows me all the tabs when I hover over the icon in the taskbar. No idea why, seems kinda pointless, but oh well.
I was hopeful about UAC but while installing Pidgin / Chrome / Flash plugins it kept bugging me, I don't wanna be bothered so maybe later I'll turn it back on. Its got 4 options this time and it explains them well (Briefly too) so happy days there. Tried switching the Control Panel from Category to "classic" view. Turns out its now "View by --> Small icons". Too many options to find UAC so I just search for it up the top-right and it shows me its under "Action Center". Nice job! :)
Now thats sorted I position Pidgin in the right-hand side and it maximizes it for me! WTF for? I'd double-click if I wanted that :-/ Anyways, I can see they're trying to be useful but to be honest it just bugged me. Time to learn the "new" ways I suppose. Alt-Tabbing is nicer, hides the other windows after a short period of time which is useful when I have 5-6 pidgin chats open and they all look the same!

Security / Updates:
Windows Updates seem good, its OK with me screening them before download & before installation without constantly pinging me about it in the systray. Updates for ATK drivers (??) as well as one or two other minor things. Another reboot now is due for Avast Free to finish installation. Still not a fan of rebooting, but at least MS seem to be taking the security / update side of life a bit better, less annoyances, more flexibility, more straight-forward recommendations on it. The Shield has had a color change to Blue / Yellow now which seems a little more passive and a little less "OMG my pc is broken and there's red warning shields everywhere".
It also auto-gave me NTFS permissions to my old User folder in XP, but pre-warned me prior to doing so in a nice, non-invasive, no-black-screen way. That was before I turned off UAC, so I'm happy & impressed there. Took a min or two to re-apply permissions to the directory, but so what, it was painless and I have a ton of files in there.

Multimedia:
My Docs seems gone, virtual folders now. Noticed a video in there and it looks like its 1280x720. Poorly encoded for HD, but the koala was cute. WMP 12 has a nice 'minimalist' feel to it, which I think I'll use for all AVI / MP4 videos I have. Played XviD / DivX / h.264 out of the box with no codecs which is nice, but adding MKV support would have been nice too.
It plays my iTunes AAC m4a files (Even has the iTunes coverart nicely displayed instead of a blank window), but naturally not the .m4p files. +1 there also for Windows 7's karma. I also couldn't help myself and had to try Snippy so I took a screenshot of it. The controls fade from the window, and the title / artist / album switch every few seconds up top.
Unfortunately windows still saves with a default of CAPS file extensions. Just a pet-hate of mine.
Attached file: WMP12_m4a.PNG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/WMP12_m4a.PNG) (205 KB)

In closing:
So far it seems snappy, will keep it going for a few more days as my primary OS, will be installin War3 to try playing DotA and some custom additions too which may prove interesting. To be frank, it looks like its everything that Vista should have been 4 years ago :p

Will I keep it? Will I stick with XP? Or switch back to my Gentoo linux distro on the other drive?
I guess I'll find out in a week!

So, anybody elses similar experiences? I've been reading all the other threads, but figured "Why not add 1 more" ;)

Cheers

Chill.

Metla
22-07-2009, 01:15 AM
I hate it,every square inch of it.

Haven't even seen a screenshot of it yet, Just getting in early.

wratterus
22-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I love it. :banana

Great OS, you're exactly right when you say it is everything Vista should have been. It runs better on my work PC than XP did, without aero naturally. (Celeron 2.6, 1.25GB RAM, onboard graphics), although I wouldn't really recommend running it on a PC like that, for the best experience you want 2GB +RAM, a decent dual core processor and a DX9 or higher gfx card with 128mb or more memory. (same as vista really)

It's downright impressive on the home desktop, and visually its extremely smexy on the 1080p monitor and TV.

I always thought people saying Vista was the new ME were taking things a little far, but after using Win7 for a few weeks, I'd say it [Vista Pre SP1] is a pretty accurate assumption. Win7 still hasn't crashed once for me, and I do some pretty crazy stuff with the work PC. Oh, except that time I accidentally unplugged the OS HDD while the lot was running, it didn't really crash, more stopped opening anything new. It ran fine for a good 2 mins with what it had loaded into the RAM . :D

It's driver support is amazing for a MS OS too.

Now shouldn't you be in bed with missus Chill? ;)

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2009, 01:49 AM
I should be, but she's pretty tired so was in bed by 10:30 ... still taking a little bit to get used to each of our individual sleeping patterns. I'm gonna eventually try and be asleep by 11 and awake by some horrid hour of the morning (5 / 6AM?) but we'll see .. baby steps, so I'm going to bed at 1 tonight ;)

Yeah so far driver supports nice, it updated my Monitor support, noting that its an AOC monitor and there was some "optional" update to it. I ticked the box, why not :D

You're right, Vista appears more and more like WinME the more I think about it :p

I wanna grab my Eee900 and whack it on that to see how it handles it, 900Mhz Celeron with Intel onboard graphics instead of my 2Ghz Pentium-D w/ 9400GT, and THEN compare it to XP's speed ;) It does boot up in around the same time as XP though, give or take a few seconds either way.

Blam
22-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Definetly install on on the eee900, I tried it myself, and results were surprising.

On a fresh install it booted very quickly, possibly because Windows 7 is optimized for SSDs..plus the fact that its quite light on resources.

Still not as fast as the Ubuntu distro I have installed on it though:D

Blam

Digby
22-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Great report Chilling Silence - thanks for that.
I have XP and have decided to get 7 when it comes out.
Yes I would have thought that M$ would have realised that hardware and driver support is crucial when they bring out a new OS (eg Vista)

pctek
22-07-2009, 09:07 AM
I always thought people saying Vista was the new ME were taking things a little far, but after using Win7 for a few weeks, I'd say it [Vista Pre SP1] is a pretty accurate assumption.

What?!! You're a tech, how could you not agree? It was a dog, it is a dog.

I will change to WIn7 when it's officially released.

kountryken
22-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I like it. Speedy, clean, serviceable. I will purchase.

R2x1
22-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I tried it - epic fail.
Just one of many OS installs this week (new 'puter) Win 7 was the most convoluted install as well as the slowest and (as installed) most useless. It could not detect my ethernet port, failed to recognise the onboard graphics, the Mobo disc would not recognise the Win7 OS, and generally, it was a pita.
Since I only rarely use MS stuff over the last few years, I guess I have become intolerant of it's general lack of usefulness.
On the bright side, I tried Mint; it is the first Ubuntu flavour that didn't make me feel like throwing up.

bk T
22-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I love it! Installation was a breeze, has a good collection of device drivers. It even detects and connects to my home network (print and file sharing, etc) with minimal user input.

I loads fast, too. Will buy it when it's released officially.:thumbs:

wratterus
22-07-2009, 11:34 AM
What?!! You're a tech, how could you not agree? It was a dog, it is a dog.

It's not *as* bad ;) - Pre Sp1 yes it was gawd-awful, but with SP2 IMO it runs fine if you have the hardware. :)

nofam
22-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Slightly OT, but what's the story with the free upgrade from Vista to W7? Is it an across-the-board upgrade path for all PC's, or is it just some manufacturers offering it?

johcar
22-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Slightly OT, but what's the story with the free upgrade from Vista to W7? Is it an across-the-board upgrade path for all PC's, or is it just some manufacturers offering it?

I imagine it will only apply to certain machines purchased after a certain date, so the sales of hardware don't slow down in anticipation of the Win7 release....

Chemical Ali
22-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Have been running Windows 7 RC as my only O/S since it's release - visually it's great and the thing is well organised. The desktop is great and navigating around the file system is much improved on Vista as is using apps/software such as Microsoft Office or performing Control Panel related tasks. I like the new libraries idea for dealing with documents, pictures, music etc and homegroup looks promising as well (especially once I switch all my PCs over to Windows 7) but to me it still doesn't beat a centralised storage option such as WHS or a NAS.

Games play fine on it (eg: AoE 3, C&C 3, Red Alert 3, Zoo Tycoon) and media centre is great.

However ...
I am having 'interesting' experiences with bringing it back out of sleep or hibernation mode (which ends up involving pressing the reset button and/or turning it off) and occasionally it's BSOD-ing when it comes back out of sleep mode. It will also freeze (for no apparent reason) about once a week (requiring a reboot) - I was tempted to go back to Vista but have decided to persevere until it's released in October.

bob_doe_nz
22-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I've used it both on my desktop and laptop. Overall I'm satisfied with how it works. Some things like apps on the taskbar, folder view options, hard drive usage are a little annoying, but then again I'm new to vista/w7.

Would I buy this? Nope. I can't afford to buy a new OS every 5+ years unless they have a decent rebate. That and the issues with DX10 and fogging issues in Thief means it's not my primary OS.

jwil1
22-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I really like it. The *only* gripe I have is that it doesn't give you a status bar when hibernating, or coming out of it. I didn't have to use any drivers on either my desktop or laptop - everything worked right of the box. That is a first for any pre-release Windows version. And all my hardware running on 7 is less than 18 months old.

First thing I notice is that the taskbar wont shrink, its "double" the size of the standard XP. Kinda bugged me at first, but lets be honest, my resolution is so big I don't really care.

You can change it - go into taskbar properties and select 'Use Small icons' I think. It's not actually double the size - just 10 or so pixels more :p

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I know you can change it, and I know *how* to change it, but it looks horrible if you do :p

Loving the cleaned up systray!

somebody
22-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I really like it. The *only* gripe I have is that it doesn't give you a status bar when hibernating, or coming out of it.

It gives you a status bar when coming out of hibernation, including the option to pause resuming from hibernation by pushing the spacebar - at least it does on my laptop (W7 RC 32-bit).

wainuitech
22-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Slightly OT, but what's the story with the free upgrade from Vista to W7? Is it an across-the-board upgrade path for all PC's, or is it just some manufacturers offering it? Not all Copies of Vista can be upgraded to W7 - Any PC with the appropriate Vista purchased on or after 1st July , AND has the upgrade offer can be upgraded to W7 when it comes out.

Theres a form you have to fill out, send it in and you will get a OEM of W7.heres the form (https://windows7upgradeoption.com/Landing.aspx)

The reason I mentioned "appropriate Vista", is on one of my vendors sites, you can purchase Vista OEM, either with or without the upgrade offer. The upgrade version costs $45.00 +gst more than the vista without it.

Any one who purchased vista ( any flavor) pre 1st July -- Its tough luck - No free upgrade offer. Heres the short version (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/01/07/vista-to-windows-7-upgrade-date-and-details-revealed/) of the offer.

Edited: it still hasn't gone RTM yet - its running late - BUT news From Yesterday (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/168806/windows_7_rtm_code_available_next_month.html) --
TechNet subscribers can download the English edition on Aug. 6Roll on 6th August :banana

Phil B
22-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I use it as my main os. The install was easy, but really, who's really worried about the install. How many times do you do it. I don't bother with a user password & leave uac on. It is so much better than vista's nag nag nag. Added my own taskbar for my most used apps, added a show desktop button & put it where it should be. The default show desktop is in a stupid place. No hardware issues. All in all, I think ms may be on the right track after 25 years. I might even force myself to purchase a copy when it's released, or at least buy hardware & get an oem copy

zqwerty
23-07-2009, 12:52 AM
When will you get Windows 7 RTM?:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/21/when-will-you-get-windows-7-rtm.aspx

Blam
23-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Whenever its available for *cough* download...which is now:p..

wainuitech
23-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Whenever its available for *cough* download...which is now:p..The only versions that are available are leaked, Read as pirated versions. Wont have "real" product keys.-- Reports clearly say lots of the leaked versions are NOT the real RTM & many are infected with malware, which isn't surprising since as of today the 23rdThis report (http://www.pcworld.com/article/168833/microsoft_details_windows_7_rtm_plans_what_you_nee d_to_know.html) it still isn't signed off to release.

Go figure :groan:

I'll wait till the 6th when I can legally download it from Technet, with legit Keys.

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Aaaah the current version that you can find for download is not the RTM, but is the build version that has been 'voted' to become RTM. Basically its a recompile then (AFAIK) with the appropriate build-flags labelling it as such, adjustments to the product activation / lifecycle stuff, additional language support, and then MS ship it off on a nice shiny reflective DVD ;)

Yeah bring on August 6th. I don't have a sub, but know somebody who does and is happy to give me their copy (Not too sure on the legality of that, but I'm pretty sure its all gravy).

'tis only a fortnight away. As it stands now, I'm quite impressed with Win7.

Tried installing Winpcap 4.1 Beta 5 and it failed, Win7 is an unsupported OS. Re-installed in Vista compatability mode and it worked a treat :D So far performance has been top-notch, and I take my hat off to MS for a job seemingly well done :)

Digby
23-07-2009, 09:19 AM
It seems that most PF1 members are keen to go to 7.

The key for M$ will be if the Corporate World goes for as many large companies still run on XP.

Sweep
23-07-2009, 10:26 AM
A story that may be of interest.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/07/microsoft-windows-7-is-done-on-its-way-to-manufacturers.ars

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Probably stay with XP / x64, unless I win lotto (which will probably never happen) :p

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah the 7600.16385.090713-1255 that was quoted on Ars was available some 4-6 days ago now from illegit places...

I'm using x64, and found it interesting when installing the 64-bit iTunes that it wanted to put it in the x86 Program Files dir by default?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 11:50 AM
The only part of Itunes, thats x64 is the gear software (for ripping/burning), not Itunes itself. Pretty hopeless that Apple makes it harder for XP Pro x64 users to use it (unless you hack the setup file). But this can be fixed by installing the 64 bit version of the gear software. Whereas it works fine on Vista x64

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah but we all know XP was never 'meant' to be 64-bit, it was definitely an after-thought... ;)

prefect
23-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I am waiting for Googles OS just hope it has drivers for my antiquated attachments

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 05:04 PM
So I whacked the RC on the Media PC, turns out the soundcard drivers didnt come with Win7, but a quick Google found Vista ones on Driverguide which work just fine.

Also, has anybody else tried setting up a HomeGroup? I must admit that for many its really going to make file-sharing *so* much easier for so many people, especially those new to PCs / networking etc!

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Not to mention it automatically found and setup the printer that's attached to my Desktop (Which only took about 5 seconds for it to auto-install drivers and setup as a printer / scanner), it set it up as the default, and it was ready to go ... instantly ... no configuration needed.

For homes / families / small businesses, I can *definitely* see Win7 as being a great way forwards!

Microsoft, I take my hat off to ya, right now it looks like a job well done :)

wainuitech
24-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Also, has anybody else tried setting up a HomeGroup? yep -- its crap with Vista and XP and didn't work no matter what I have done.

XP and vista have no idea as to what home group is.

From what I have read, if you use Homegroup, all your PC's have to be W7 then it works.

Setting up the network as per XP & Vista ( old way) -- no problems

R2x1
24-07-2009, 06:53 PM
It does work - I'm using it now - but it is quite a tussle to make it work here. It may not be as quick as Linux, it may not be as pretty, but at least it should die at the end of the month. I took the precaution of giving it exclusive use of the machine by sticking it on a new HDD and disconnecting all others. Even MS should have trouble spilling it's stuff outside it's nappies with that set-up.

R2x1
24-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Hmm - no more BSOD ?
I got a white SOD, everything stalled, even the reset button on the front of the case didn't work LOL. The switch on the back was still good though. :D
The helpful message says that Windows Defender had committed Hari Kiri - successfully. (Well, that's not what it said as such, but I think that's what it meant.)

A redeeming feature of WIN 7, - - - it can run Chrome. That could be the feature that does it.

So far, I have Firefox in and Chrome installing.

wainuitech
24-07-2009, 08:26 PM
regarding Homegroup-- Go to This article (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/13/windows-7-homegroup-overview) - scroll right down till you get to about 3/4 of the way down, the wording just above the black Video window with two guys and a red & Black laptop.

Remember that HomeGroup works only with Windows 7 machines and it does not support Vista or XP.

gary67
24-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Since there will only be one win 7 comp in the house Homegroup will be a waste of time and I will be using a workgroup for the near future

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I gotta admit, the HomeGroup this is *nice* and convenient, gonna try linking them via VPN later and see how well that works later too :D

Blam
24-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I personally think the HomeGroup is quite good for the typical family.

Many households with multiple PCs/Laptops suprisingly don't have file sharing or printer sharing setup, simple because the family doesn't know how to set it up.

Homegroup *might* possibly solve this problem, but the Windows7 limitation is a real drawback.

Blam

R2x1
24-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Could it be that the objective is to sell more copies of Win& - and not to altruistically provide useful features?

I am still trying it - and it is sorely trying my patience ;)

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Could be a good incentive to do a "Home upgrade license" that supports 3x machines !

R2x1
25-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Why would I want 3 ex-machines? So far Win 7 seems to indicate that MS have got the scent, but the trail is a bit cold.
I think I will have to give them a 7 out of ten, mostly for good spelling, but also because they are trying hard and have improved greatly since last term.

Maybe by Win 12 things will be coming right? (Although, down that path lies Win 95 and that is not a totally worthy goal ;) )

wainuitech
25-07-2009, 10:59 AM
that supports 3x machines Lots of places I go have 3 or more PC's - that package deal could be a good Idea.

Many people still think if they buy 1 license they can put it on multi PC's.But as we know unless its a multi user license they are not allowed.

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah exactly .. My father wanted to purchase Office 2007 and just whack it on all the PC's, had to explain the difference between the licenses, which ones came with Outlook (Which he wants) and which ones come with Powerpoint etc etc

R2x1
26-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Hmm. Well I found out that a note on a DVD saying RC does not guarantee it is the RC. Just downloaded and installed the proper RC. It is a great deal better than the Beta, possibly I could upgrade my opinion a little.

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Hmm. Well I found out that a note on a DVD saying RC does not guarantee it is the RC. Just downloaded and installed the proper RC. It is a great deal better than the Beta, possibly I could upgrade my opinion a little.Thats one reason why a person should always get the genuine software, not pirated ones , or so a called " Leaked" version from torrent sites.

You never know if they have been altered or contain malware.

Seen it many times so called " leaked" versions are not the real deal, MS may have made changes to the original code, even small changes can make a huge difference sometimes.

R2x1
26-07-2009, 11:01 AM
It's from Microsoft - they are experts in their field apparently, so how could a pirate make it worse? ;)

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 11:17 AM
They can make it "worse" by altering the code in the OS, loading it uop with Malware.

Talking about being made worse-- ubuntu 9.04 -- Bloody hell people say Windows is annoying - by default 9.04 is a pain in the backside.

Almost every day (or every other day) -- it has updates for this that and the other.

What about UAC in Windows-- Ubuntu has the same - you have to put in a password to make any system changes.

And one really annoying thing -- When I click shutdown - whats with the damn pop up window saying you computer will shut down in 60 Seconds, and then counts down (Every time) -- I click it to shut down NOW - not in a minute.

BTW- these are default settings.:groan: Sure they can be 'tweaked" to not do it - But shouldn't have to be. So its no different to any windows problems. I know Ubuntu is trying to make it so people who switch from windows will find it easier, BUT to copy the ANNOYING aspects is going to far.

Blam
26-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I use Ubuntu and I find it fine?

Maybe you're a litte to "comfortable" in windows. Isn't it nice being out of your comfort zone?

Give Linux Mint a try. Uses Ubuntu respiratories and is mostly based on Ubuntu but it UI and overall interface is easier and more intuitive.

Parents love it:)

Blam

bk T
26-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I use Ubuntu and I find it fine?

Blam

Do you have compatibility issues with Office & other common application programs, and also device drivers, etc.?

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe you're a litte to "comfortable" in windows. Isn't it nice being out of your comfort zone? Hardly - I don't call a pop up window every other day wanting lots of updates, and having to put in a damn password to make any changes, AND the damn countdown to shutting down, "out of my comfort zone".

Lots of people complain about features of Windows, yet ubuntu does the exact same thing and its called "Security" HA!

Windows 7, hit shut down - it shuts down.

Windows , Updates, Small message thats in the corner - Ubuntu - Blocks half the screen.

R2x1
26-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I suspect Ubuntu was made for people who deserve windoze, but it is a bit cheaper.

What really puzzles me is what age group 'doze and ubuntu are aimed at? Both are reminiscent of training wheels, good in their place I suppose, but a bit like having training wheels on a tricycle. (Apple is like a tree with training wheels. ;) )

At the moment my biggest grouch is that the shiny new monitor has sucked a kumara and all pale grey areas are pale pink. Other hues are ok. That is not making too many laugh lines here, I can tell you.

I had better get the Dragon back in town PDQ, the place is going to the dogs.

Blam
26-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Hardly - I don't call a pop up window every other day wanting lots of updates, and having to put in a damn password to make any changes, AND the damn countdown to shutting down, "out of my comfort zone".

Lots of people complain about features of Windows, yet ubuntu does the exact same thing and its called "Security" HA!

Windows 7, hit shut down - it shuts down.

Windows , Updates, Small message thats in the corner - Ubuntu - Blocks half the screen.

Do you know why it asks you to enter a password to do everything?

Its also the main reason why Linux is so secure-You're not logged in at root!

If you don't like it customise it to your needs.

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Do you know why it asks you to enter a password to do everything?

Its also the main reason why Linux is so secure-You're not logged in at root!

If you don't like it customise it to your needs. I know that - But what I'm saying is the average user that Linux is trying to attract soon gets pissed off with those types of "actions".

As mentioned earlier on - In linux its called "Security" yet when windows does the same thing (UAC) its called an annoyance.

Double standards there.

What really puzzles me is what age group 'doze and ubuntu are aimed at? Both are reminiscent of training wheels, good in their place I suppose, but a bit like having training wheels on a tricycle. (Apple is like a tree with training wheels. )

At the moment my biggest grouch is that the shiny new monitor has sucked a kumara and all pale grey areas are pale pink. Other hues are ok. That is not making too many laugh lines here, I can tell you. So called Modern OS's / and programs make people lazy - less Knowledge required to use, then when something goes wrong all hell breaks lose.

BUGGER about the LCD -- Some people would pay a lot of $$ for effects like that.

Get it replaced if its under Warranty.

plod
26-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I know that - But what I'm saying is the average user that Linux is trying to attract soon gets pissed off with those types of "actions".

As mentioned earlier on - In linux its called "Security" yet when windows does the same thing (UAC) its called an annoyance.

Double standards there.

The problem with vista is that it gives you a big pop up asking you if you want to run a program, but not ask for a password.
OSX does the same countdown when you turn it off, It has come in handy when i have gone to shut done then remembered I had to do something, otherwise I either hit enter or just let it do its countdown.
UAC in vista is a lot better then what xp had, haven't seen what W7 does so can't comment

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2009, 06:15 PM
UAC in Vista is a *horrible* attempt at mimic'ing the likes of Ubuntu or many other linux distro's. I dare say though that in Win7, they've potentially done better than most distro's with their flexibility over it ...

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 06:47 PM
UAC in Vista is a *horrible* attempt at mimic'ing the likes of Ubuntu or many other linux distro's. I dare say though that in Win7, they've potentially done better than most distro's with their flexibility over it ...
In Vista I have UAC turned off.

In Windows 7 I have left it as default, the only program its ever asks permission for is when ever I run Ccleaner.

One of the reasons I leave W7 with default settings, is so if its going to do something I'll know about it, that way I'll see what a "typical" home user is going to come across.

How many times have people that work with PC's had calls and the person says "A message pops up" -- What does it mean ????? Mind readers we are not. :lol:

Mind you I can see the PSR in W7 will come in very handy.

Blam
26-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Yep, the PSR has been there since beta and I've been playing round with it since:D

If someone could make a similar program but for XP and Vista also, or if MS released an update of it for older PCs, it would make EVERYONES life so much easier:p

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Yep, the PSR has been there since beta and I've been playing round with it since:D

If someone could make a similar program but for XP and Vista also, or if MS released an update of it for older PCs, it would make EVERYONES life so much easier:p Thats true - But I doubt they will.

XP - MS want to Kill it.
Vista -- Maybe the same :lol: But since W7 is almost ready to the general public, they will want it to sell well.

I'm almost thinking along the lines that Vista was put out, unfinished on purpose, with the aim of making a better OS (W7) so it would sell to replace the Doggy Vista = more $$$$$$$ for M$ :rolleyes:

Blam
26-07-2009, 07:05 PM
That would be a nice school project eh?

VB...

Off to ponder...:p

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah PSR sounds good :D

wainuitech
26-07-2009, 10:25 PM
PSR also can double as another function.

Lets say you want to create a turtural for something, and show step by Step instructions - Press that then that. It makes a screen shot, high lights the area you need to press.

Load it into any Web page design software - edit out the "Problem Step ?" along with any other text not wanted - Easy.

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Do away with SnagIt and related software ;)
The Snipping Tool is also highly useful!!

somebody
26-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm almost thinking along the lines that Vista was put out, unfinished on purpose, with the aim of making a better OS (W7) so it would sell to replace the Doggy Vista = more $$$$$$$ for M$ :rolleyes:

They've caused quite a bit of damage to their brand though as a result of Vista's bad reputation, as well as the whole "Vista Capable" debacle.

R2x1
31-07-2009, 09:39 PM
After playing with the thing for a few days, it is a brilliant MS effort. Probably a fail for any other OS flavour, but it mostly works on everything I have thrown at it - even an M$ product (FS2002) So far it is working with such things as Windows Commander, System Mechanic (a 2002 version) and a rather elderly version of Open Office (Why waste a modern version on Winderz?)
The biggest problem is the enhanced "games' that MS threw out and put in there. Minesweeper must be a classic "It worked, so we fixed it" example. Sales Dept. I suppose . . .

Of vital importance, Draft Choice for Windows works better than it did in XP. I will probably buy it when it comes on sale for it's behaviour with Draft Choice and FMS (Also better than XP).

VLC took care of the Multimedia thing, so it is a keeper. (Provided they don't "fix it" into oblivion when marketing gets at it.)

Did they make Vista just to show that ME wasn't a fluke and they have still got their skills ready? ;)