PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Harddrives

Groovvy
22-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi all, I am trying to buy a new external hard drive. I have looked around on pricespy and also heard that Western digital 1TB, with 32mb cache in the link below is good. Better than Seagate.
I am using Windows XP.

Hard drive
http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=1217

External Case
http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=1182

Also, i have found this when i was looking for the enclosure. its an enclosure + NAS for $99. I actually don't really need this, but was thinking, that because it seems about only 50$ more than the enclosure. I do have 2 computers and network router going on already and this might help. :)

Is it a good idea to get this one?

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=2397

What do you think? Is it a good buy?

Thanks.

Blam
22-07-2009, 12:25 AM
That green drive is actually quite slow I've heard.

Grab a Seagate 1TB or the WD Caviar Blue, or Black if you can.

A NAS is quite useful, but can be quite slow over wireless.

What you could do instead, is if you don't need a NAS often, but only sometimes you could use the built in WIndows file sharing instead when you do rarely need it:)

BTW Price seems fine for the cases

Blam

gary67
22-07-2009, 07:44 AM
I have just put a WD blue into an old XP comp for backups and the 16MB cache means it's running along quite nicely, the WD green would be slower that's why it's labled as being a Green model it uses less power

pctek
22-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Forget ETC.

Western Digital Caviar Green 1000GB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache Online Special
One Year RTB Warranty

WD has a 3 Year warranty.

Go to a decent shop and buy it. Computer Lounge for instance.

AvonBill
22-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Watch it, that NAS case is for IDE drives. 1TB drives are all SATA. Probably why it is so cheap.

Groovvy
22-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Watch it, that NAS case is for IDE drives. 1TB drives are all SATA. Probably why it is so cheap.

Good point Avonbill. I didnt notice thats. thanks a lot. Wont go for the NAS. :)

Groovvy
22-07-2009, 11:07 AM
That green drive is actually quite slow I've heard.

Grab a Seagate 1TB or the WD Caviar Blue, or Black if you can.

A NAS is quite useful, but can be quite slow over wireless.

What you could do instead, is if you don't need a NAS often, but only sometimes you could use the built in WIndows file sharing instead when you do rarely need it:)

BTW Price seems fine for the cases

Blam

Thanks Blam. I had a quick look and it seems little slower than the black version. I will go for WD Black version and the case i mentioned.

Thanks all.

Nictech
22-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I will go for WD Black version and the case i mentioned

but remember, the case is for IDE HDD

Groovvy
22-07-2009, 01:06 PM
but remember, the case is for IDE HDD

Hey nictech. I meant the normal metal enclosure i mentioned above. NOT the NAS enclsoure. Also i have just checked the metal enclosure and it is for SATA HDD. So it should be fine i think.

Nictech
22-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey nictech. I meant the normal metal enclosure i mentioned above. NOT the NAS enclsoure. Also i have just checked the metal enclosure and it is for SATA HDD. So it should be fine i think.

oops sorry, I missed the middles link. never mind then :)

minster
22-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I have been using 2 of the, WELLAND ME740PSS 3.5 Aluminum External Enclosures without any problems for about 12 months.
One has a WD 320GB sata11 drive fitted and the other a Seagate 500GB sata11 drive.
Both are used as Sata backup drives.

Phil B
22-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Forget ETC.

Why forget ETC. I deal with them regularly, have done for a long time.
Never had an issue with them for anything

qazwsxokmijn
22-07-2009, 10:28 PM
No need to get Black if it's to be used as an external HDD. Blacks have a slight price premium over Blues and Greens, and its performance gains are pretty much useless unless you're using it as a main HDD or part of a RAID setup IMO.

Personally I'd get the Green for external HDDs, and Black (which I have :D) for a main internal HDD.

Blam
22-07-2009, 10:33 PM
The 1TB greens are rebranded greenpowers that run at 5400rpm which are about 25-35% slower than the blacks..

stormdragon
23-07-2009, 08:37 AM
The green drives run between 5400rpm and 7200rpm, they aren't that much slower then normal 1TB drives. As an external with USB connectivity the green drives would be ideal.

Theres a whole lot of reviews on the net google them.