PDA

View Full Version : HDD Enclosure

theother1
21-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys
I have a multifacetted question regarding Hard drives and Hard drive enclosures.
I have a HDD which I have removed from a laptop. It has Windows XP Pro on it, plus a whole lot of files most of which I have copied via USB stick to my new laptop.
I would like to get an enclosure so I can use this HD as an external HD. Where can I get an enclosure from in Christchurch?
Is it necessary to remove the HD from the caddy and insert/install it in the portable enclosure?
Can I boot XP from the portable HD (I have vista installed on the HD in the new laptop) and access the files on the HD in the computer?
Or am I a complete moron for thinking all this might be do-able?
:dogeye:

CliveM
21-07-2009, 04:46 PM
You can get an enclosure from Ascent http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=18

You will not be able to run your XP Pro from it.

Blam
21-07-2009, 04:53 PM
You will need a 2.5" enclosure

Plenty on trademe, I can recommend a model if you want

What you will need to find out is whether it is SATA or IDE

So you know what case to get.

Its almost impossible to boot XP from an EHD, it requires a lot of tweaking....I can help if you want, but its not for the faint hearted. It is possible though.

Ascent is good, but their prices are a bit over the top.

If you want I can send you a new 2.5" IDE/SATA case for less than 30.

You'll need to remove the 2.5" HDD from the laptop caddy, then stick it into the enclosure, screw it all up and you're done:)

You don't need to boot from the external HD to access the files on it, you can just plug it into the Vista machine.

Blam

ronyville
21-07-2009, 05:54 PM
You can get an enclosure from Ascent http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=18

That's a 3.5" HDD enclosure, he needs a 2.5" one. Trademe is a good place to look for some. As Blam mentioned, check the HDD interface if its IDE or Sata.

Blam
21-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Rony, that was just the featured product, he was linking to general HD enclosures:p

theother1
22-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys
I will check which type it is (I assume that is written on the case label?) and check out Trademe for a start.

ronyville
22-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys
I will check which type it is (I assume that is written on the case label?) and check out Trademe for a start.

Well if you look at the HDD and see lots of pointy shinny pins than its a IDE, but if you see 2 small black connectors than it Sata. See thumbnail.

Oops, that image is not very clear.

gary67
22-07-2009, 08:17 PM
My words that's a small picture Ronyville