PDA

View Full Version : HDD with Diskmanager 2000

09-07-2001, 11:31 AM
A while ago I bought a 10Gb Quantum Bigfoot HDD (second hand). When I installed it Windows (95) would only recognise 1.99Gb of it. I went to the Quantum website and downloaded Diskmanager 2000. It didn't work and now I don't know how to get rid of it. I have since upgraded to Windows ME but the drive is still only recognised as being 1.99Gb. Any tips on how to remove the diskmanager or find the missing 8Gb would be much appreciated.

09-07-2001, 01:18 PM
Try upgrading your bios or checking with the Quantum site to see if there is a patch for the large drive.
or you could start again by
Creating a startup disk (Add/Remove-Startup Disk tab)
then booting from the new disk - deleting all partitions and extended partitions using Fdisk then run Fdisk /mbr , and formating after another boot.
best of luck

14-07-2001, 06:29 PM
Hi oliver, It sounds like your hdd may be using fat16 file system which only supports up to 2gb per partition.
If you are using the first version of win95 you will need to use fdisk & partition your drive into partitions no bigger than 2gb.
If you are using win95b or c you will need to change the file system to fat32 to use the full 10gb.
have a look at the following microsoft page.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q118/3/35.asp