PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed to readjust my Pc setup.

Bryan
21-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I have 3 IDE HDDs'. A small 20G has an Acronis image of my Vista and is a Secondary drive.

My 120G has XP and boots as C:/ but is Primary Slave.

My 200G is the Primary Master but the BIOS boot sequence is for the 120G to be the boot drive.

My Vista setup is on the 200G drive as G: but it is not the boot drive. I use Winbootpro as the boot manager.

What I want to do is remove XP as I will go for Win7 when it becomes available. I will image XP to the 20G secondary drive to archive it.

What I think I should do is use Acronis to Image XP to the 20G drive, delete the XP partition on the 120G drive and then image the G: partition to the 120G drive as a security backup.

Then, amend BIOS to show the 200g as the boot disk and use the Vista DVD to fix the boot sequence. If I do this, will it correct the drive letter to C: from its present G:, and if not, how do I correct that?

The only other way is to apply Vista as a D: partition to the 120g drive, delete the G: partition on the 200G HDD and change the jumpers so that the 120g becomes Master. The 200G could then be for storage but it is a newer disk to the 120G.

What I had previously tried to do was to protect both XP and Vista on separate HDD for security reasons in case one disk failed!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pctek
21-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Kill the lot and install only Win7.
ANything else is hideous.

wratterus
21-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree with pctek - what you have at the moment is a wee bit of a mess, and will only get harder to manage if you were to put another OS into the mix. There is nothing stopping you from making an image of your Win7 install and keeping it on another drive, or setting up some sort of backup to a secondary drive.

I'd use the 120GB as primary, 200GB for storage, and you could keep an ISO or two, or an XP or Vista install if you really wanted on the 20GB drive.

Blam
21-07-2009, 04:46 PM
To change a drive letter you just use the assign parameter in the disk tool diskpart

Type diskpart in run and hit enter. Then type select partition 0 or whatever it is the partition is(type list partition to see them) then assign C: or whatever.

Blam