PDA

View Full Version : Compaq wireless packing up

The Dugganaut
21-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi guys,

My Compaq Presario F500 laptop's wireless has sundenly stopped working, after downloading different drivers and updates nothings worked.

After searching the net it seems like I'm not the only 1. I spoke with the NZ HP helpdesk in Calcutta and they only said my laptops out of warranty and they can't help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Have you been to the HP site, searched for the model, and downloaded the drivers? Thats the only place you should be getting them from

wratterus
21-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Go into the device manager (type devmgmt.msc into the run box) and look under Network Adapters, post back what is in there, or post a screenshot if you prefer.

Are there any devices either in yellow or with a question mark?

The Dugganaut
21-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Ok, under Network adapters is NVIDIA nForcs Networking Controller.

No devices in yellow or ?

The driveers I downloaded have been from the HP site.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2009, 11:27 AM
That'll be the ethernet drivers not the wireless drivers. Is wireless turned on?? Is there a button / key to turn wireless on and off? Does the icon for the wireless appear in network connections, depending on what version of windows is on it

wratterus
21-07-2009, 11:32 AM
That whole series (Presario V6000, C500, etc) seemed to have far too many issues, one of the ones I've seen many times is the motherboard failing to recognize the wireless card.

Does the 'Wireless Network Connection' show up in network connections (or 'Manage network connections' in vista) like the 'Local Area Connection' does?

I'd do a BIOS update, and make sure the BIOS is set to defaults.

If you flick the wireless switch on the front does the light turn on/off or change from orange to blue?

Blam
21-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Open device manager(run>devmgmt.msc)

Right Click your wireless adapter>uninstall.

Then reboot, and let it install the original drivers.

Blam

The Dugganaut
21-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Cheers for all that.

The Wireless button doesn't change from the usual Orange to Blue like it use to (like its not even there?!).

The 'Wireless Network Connection' doesn't even come up like it use to on start-up.

I'll do the "uninstall/re-install" trick as above and see what that does.

wratterus
21-07-2009, 01:02 PM
My thought would be it's a motherboard fault with the notebook. It's exhibiting the exact symptoms I've seen on several other Compaq notebooks, when the issue turned out to be motherboard related. I guess its out of warranty now?

Another way to make sure would be to grab a ubuntu disk and boot up off that, that will tell you for sure if it's a hardware issue, or a windows issue, I'd be 99% sure it's a hardware issue.

Maybe time to buy a USB wifi dongle. :(