PDA

View Full Version : Guilt

hueybot3000
20-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Just noticed im over 1000 posts, and I feel guilty!

I dont do much helping people on here and I feel like I should but to be honest your all too smart for me and I dont even know what half the stuff in PressF1 is.

Anyways sorry I dont help more people, il just continue wasting time in chat ;)

wainuitech
20-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Not quite true Huey - Congrats on the 1000 +

No one knows everything - some people would like to think they know every thing.

Every one can always learn something New.

Theres been a few times In my own business, I can look back here and remember someone put an answer to a problem I didn't know the answer to -- The hardest part is locating the thread :)

Even if a person doesn't put a lot of answers or suggestions here, theres nothing wrong with looking and learning.

Sooner or later a problem will arise, may be here, or at a friends / Family members place and the light goes on :nerd: and suddenly your the man (or woman) of the moment.

Heres a question -- How many times have you been doing something on a PC and another person says " wish I could do that"-- I hear it all the time, several settings need changing, do it almost daily out of habit.(fly through the settings)

Heres a classic for example-- When you install XPSP3 -- the IE icon is not on the desktop, or under customize desktop (In properties). Sure easy to make a shortcut but I prefer the real Icon.

The first several times I had to look at a print out to get to the reg key to enable it. Now its click expand the path in matter of seconds, change the key and its done.

Don't under estimate any skills you have.:thumbs:

hueybot3000
20-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I guess your right, im by no means a beginner with computers, but seeing the likes of you on here who appears to know everything about everything can make a man feel useless lol

And my family do heavily rely on me, they sometimes even give me petrol money for my troubles! :thumbs:

wainuitech
20-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I guess your right, im by no means a beginner with computers, but seeing the likes of you on here who appears to know everything about everything can make a man feel useless lol :lol: Far from it.

Lots of the stuff on here I and others in the job do it daily.

Once when I was doing a course, our tutor made a comment.

He got a normal pen, we had a 17" CRT - Take the screen as everything there is to know about computers -- he put a dot on the screen - the comment was that dot represents the amount of knowledge an average service technician knows concerning EVERYthing there is to know.

Theres so many aspects to computers or IT its impossible to know everything.

One thing that makes me laugh -- (any tech will have heard this) you get a call -- "My Son, friend, mate etc knows EVERYTHING about computers, yet they cant fix it" ----

Man I would love to say " so why the hell are you calling me then" :p but professional conduct means I wont.

joshjnz
20-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Read the title - thought Google had released a new app

Strommer
20-07-2009, 11:47 PM

No worries. I have posted quite a bit and have certainly gained more from others compared to those I have helped. Each of us does our little bit and it adds up to one huge wonderful forum. I have learned a huge amount from PF1; not too many years ago I was reluctant to even open a PC case let alone fiddle with it, and now I dive in and do whatever - if I get stuck I post and hopefully others will learn from my questions and mistakes.

I remember a certain PF1er who had so many postings that he had a mod delete several thousand. :) Not naming anyone but he is a venerable member, quite witty, very clever, and resides in a place that was trying to put an H after the W. :banana

hueybot3000
20-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I remember a certain PF1er who had so many postings that he had a mod delete several thousand. :) Not naming anyone but he is a venerable member, quite witty, very clever, and resides in a place that was trying to put an H after the W. :banana

We all know who your referring to :D
If he didnt post so often he could even be mistaken as god, but god wouldnt have that much time for us pf1ers

Metla
21-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Excuse me while I throw up, smash some ****, and then set fire to it.All to the beat of some Viking Metal.

Blam
21-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh metla :lol:

When I first joined I stuck around and posted a lotta threads asking lots of questions...

People where were knowledgeable taught me stuff, I read a bit, and now I'm returning the favor.

Aren't forums awesome?:D

BTW HueyBot-Love your Website skills:thumbs:

Blam

CYaBro
21-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Heres a classic for example-- When you install XPSP3 -- the IE icon is not on the desktop, or under customize desktop (In properties). Sure easy to make a shortcut but I prefer the real Icon.

Really?? The first thing I do when installing a fresh copy of XP is remove the IE icon from the desktop and install Firefox :D

Metla
21-07-2009, 01:23 AM
First thing I do is disable auto-restart, In fact thats the first thing I do when sitting down at any PC.

then I disable error reporting.

Then I shut down the security centre.

then I edit the living crap out of the start up and services, then I delete all the temp files and reboot.

Then, and only then am I ready to start looking for whatever the reason is I've been called in to look at the pos, though half the time the above fixes the issue.....

Unless its a HP, in which case just replace it with an Asus and move on.

Strommer
21-07-2009, 07:34 AM
First thing I do is disable auto-restart, In fact thats the first thing I do when sitting down at any PC.

Never done that. Every two years or so XP gets corrupted and weird things happen / don't happen so I have to reinstall or use an Acronis drive image, but auto rebooting has not been a problem.

But if the Wangvegas :waughh: vomit god :lol: says its a good idea then I guess its worth a try.

to disable automatic rebooting: (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/russel_02may13.mspx)

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

-----------

Jeez Mets, you really love your hp, don't you. You must have been hit in the noggin by a demolition brick to choose hp over ASUS.

pctek
21-07-2009, 08:37 AM
First thing I do is disable auto-restart
then I edit the living crap out of the start up and services, then I delete all the temp files and reboot.

Haha, thats what I do. Except I turn off the nags on SC not disable it totally.

kahawai chaser
22-07-2009, 02:42 PM

I dont do much helping people on here and I feel like I should but to be honest your all too smart for me and I dont even know what half the stuff in PressF1 is.

Anyways sorry I dont help more people, il just continue wasting time in chat ;)

I read and enjoy most posts on Press F1, including chats, and I have picked up some good ideas. Good to read (for me) chats as a break from PC/software/virus technical stuff. I don't know much about PC hardware and some general topics, but sure have learnt (and enjoy the humor/hard case replies) from reading member's posts.

Because Google indexes forums posts, I know visitors world wide have read member's threads from Press F1 (from stats programs). So there is global benefit from posts, other than for member's within this site.

gary67
22-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I still don't know much but can usually learn something new most days by reading through the threads and I have picked up a lot of useful stuff, I generally put things I am likely to forget into word docs and save them in a folder called PC stuff