PDA

View Full Version : Email of Mystery

LynX
20-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi there,

Just when I checked for my emails today I found two unusual emails in my Live Mail account.

Both of them originates from postmaster@mail.hotmail.com, and they tell me that two emails have failed to deliver. However I didn't write ANY emails to anyone recently.

In fact, the email is about some game site, and it's about making friends (according to that). Apparently I didn't compose it; there is a line on the bottom: "this mail is automatically generated by the system, please do not reply". The links are also pointing at [www.xinianlai.info] (the site is probably in Chinese; .info sites aren't safe, said someone.)

So did someone else wrote this email and sent it through my account? They are sending to two of my contacts, though. Could the author already hijacked my email account (I don't think so though...)? What can I do about it.

Thanks in advance

LynX
20-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Searched xinianlai.info on Google, and it was the first result. There are no "paragraphs" under the site title... I'm a bit scared to click it...

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Just delete them

MushHead
21-07-2009, 09:13 AM
All the spammer has to do is put your address in the "Reply To" or "From" fields when he fires it off to the million email addresses & the server(s) will reject messages to invalid addresses & send them to you as the apparent sender.

There's no need for them to go to the trouble of hijacking your PC to do that. As Speedy says, just delete them.