PDA

View Full Version : Huge mystery file after installing intel chipset driver updater utility

braindead
20-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I've just installed, then uninstalled a file called INF_allOS_9.1.1.1014_PV.exe. The purpose of this file (2.6MB) is to auto update the Intel chipset drivers for my Asus P5QL mobo.

I changed my mind after the install, since the install is devoid of any info about what it's up to after it's been installed. I used Ashampoo's Uninstaller to strip it out and my system boots ok, and here's the mystery:

After uninstalling, I found a file in my trash called machine.inf with a huge size of 11.9GB!

I did a search of a previous ghost backup and all the machine.inf are around 100kb to 200kb in size.

Thinking a file this size must surely be important, I moved and renamed this monster and my system still booted fine.

Couldn't find anything about this huge file on the net. Maybe it's some kind of image file??

WTF!

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Never heard of that file, the last file I downloaded was called intel_inf_9.1.01014-whql.zip from the Intel site. WHERE did you get the file?

Should have downloaded it from the ASUS site for the mobo (even tho its older). Or the Intel site

Trev
20-07-2009, 04:12 PM
That machine.inf file contains the identifiers and driver specifications for core chipset devices. If you look inside, you see some very essential stuff like DMA, RTC, PCI, PIC etc and you most certainly need those drivers!

Put that file back.
:)

braindead
20-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Speedy

There are lots of references to this file on the net, just not about one in that 11.9GB size.

Trev

The question is, put it back where? I moved it from the recycle bin to a folder on my hard drive. BTW, it won't open in any of the standard text utilities, presumably because of its size.

And...that still does not answer the other question: why is there no file in that size in any of my ghost backups?

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Well kill it then get the zipped file 2.5 mb

wratterus
20-07-2009, 05:20 PM
It's gotta be reporting the file size incorrectly surely...

Blam
20-07-2009, 07:04 PM
And .inf file cannot be that big!

braindead
20-07-2009, 07:25 PM
.inf file cannot be that big!
Exactly what I thought.

I've ghosted the current system (that had the humungous inf). Next I'll install an older ghost image and have a look around for any big machine.inf files. If all looks normal I'll go back to the current system.

Thanks for all your help folks!!